Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2006, 07:49 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy Help! My weight loss is at a STANDSTILL!

I have heard about the dreaded plateau, and now I think I am in one. Only, I hate the weight that I am stuck at! I can't seem to shake the 175lb mark. I have tried increasing my exercise, decreasing my calories, decreasing my carbs and increasing the protein, decreasing the protein and increasing the fat, decreasing the fat and increasing the carbs, not exercising, drinking tons of water, drinking tons of water with lemon in it...The diet program (a commercial one) that I attend seems to want to blame me for this turn of events. I have been told by their staff that I am retaining water and have been put on a diuretic (minimal effect seen -- ie 0.8 lbs over 5 days). I have been told by their staff that if I put MORE lemon in my water, all my fat would magically disappear. I have been told that my "body won't RELEASE", whatever THAT means. I have been told that I have to switch brands of tuna, because even though the type of tuna (flaked, light, packed in water) is the same, some brands of tuna have MORE CARBS than other brands. I have now been reduced by this diet centre to a total of 425 calories A DAY (I added it up!), and cannot eat tomatoes (too much sugar), beans (too many carbs), any Splenda products, any Aspartame products, any caffeine drinks, beef (too hard to digest), any processed foods, dairy (except for egg whites), rice, grains, potatoes, and I cannot eat after 5pm and can't have any fruit after 2pm.
I think that I am not eating enough calories, and my body has gone into starvation mode, but they insist that the number of calories that I am permitted is MORE than adequate.
I am totally demoralized, discouraged, and depressed. I am ready to give up. Where do I go from here?
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Uh, 425 calories a day? That is what is wrong.

Eat more, please.

Every individual is different, but I lost a ton of weight eating beans and tomatoes, that sounds like hooey to me. I also ate tons of fruit all day long (especially baked apples for dessert) and often ate at 10:00 at night.

Quite frankly, your doctor sounds completely full of ****. Find a new doctor, one that isn't STARVING you to death.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

OMG! You have to have AT LEAST 1200 a day to live! And you only getting like 1/3 of that! Not wonder your not losing any weight - your not eating enough!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Just wanted to add, of course your body "won't release" it thinks you are in a famine and it is desperately holding onto fat reserves to KEEP YOU ALIVE. Eat more and your body will "release" fat reserves because it won't need to store them!

You know how much they feed coma patients that just lay there all day? More than 500 calories a day, definitely!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

I just read that again and I was just as shocked the first time. Glory is right they are STARVING you to death! I mean what can you eat? Just Tuna and Water?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #6  
banned

What can I eat? Well, try 2 portions of 3 oz (raw weight) protein a day (chicken breast -- boneless, skinless OR fish OR 6 egg whites), two servings of lettuce, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, onions or mushrooms (each serving to be 6 oz or less), 1 orange or one apple, and 1 piece of toast. That's it, that's all. My doctor claims this is 900 calories, but I did the math.
Since I am not losing fast enough, he has just removed seasonings, chicken broth, soya sauce, and salt from my diet. So, my typical day is:
1 cup coffee, 1 piece of dry toast, 3 egg whites (boiled)
1 orange, 3 oz tuna, 1 salad (no dressing allowed)
3 oz chicken (poached), 2 oz of cauliflower, 2 oz of green beans.
He just told me that my "problem" is that I have to "mix it up!" as my body is now used to this food, so "just switch it up!". He didn't have any answers when I asked HOW exactly to switch up the big bowl of NOTHING that I am allowed to have. He said I was being "difficult". ARGHH!
Thanks for all the responses! I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #7  
Starting Fresh

I bet you that if you started eating at least 1200 calories a day you would start dropping.

I wasnt losing so I started eating less and less. Probably less then 1200. I bumped in up to like 1500 or so and lost 5 pounds almost imediatly. I just wasnt eating enough! You have to eat to lose or so the saying goes.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #8  
Enjoy the day!

?!?! What kind of place is this!? That isn't even enough to feed my CAT!?!!! Seriously hun, you need to find a new center or something.. Weight Watchers or something.. I mean really in my opinion that is going to kill you.
Brendalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #9  
banned

My husband, after I showed all of your great comments, said, "SEE, I TOLD you so!". So the plan is this -- I will bump up my calories for the next week and see what happens. I am absolutely sure that I am in starvation mode, which can't be healthy...
Thanks everyone, and I'll keep you updated.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:42 AM   #10  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

WOW!!! You need to eat more girl!!! You are starving yourself. No wonder you arent losing weight. Your doctor is a moron! Please eat more food....1200 calories at least. Then you can go back to your doctor and tell him off.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:24 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Even if you just took the foods he told you about and just ate more of them. Maybe see if you can crank it up to 900 like he said.

What about this programme? Are you locked in for a while? Do they have any help for you after you're at goal?

Also, we might be able to help you switch it up as far as finding suitable substitutions for those simple foods.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:46 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I also wanted to add that there are successful women here at 3fc who started their weightloss with Doctor supervised very low calorie diets.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #13  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by freiamaya
I will bump up my calories for the next week and see what happens. I am absolutely sure that I am in starvation mode, which can't be healthy...
Your body needs time to adjust. So I would give it a try for a couple weeks.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #14  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

How the does one brand of tuna have more carbs then another? Tuna shouldn't have any carbs period - it is meat. From that statement alone I wouldn't think this guy has a clue what he is talking about.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #15  
Fit chick in hidding

S/C/G: 201/164.4/100 4'11"

Get out of the program NOW!!!

Any weight loss program that wants you to be anorexic to lose weight is just in it for a quick buck. You may lose out on some money if you decide to drop this program but that is better than seeing it through and having an eating disorder when your done. Check on the credentials of those running the program, chances are you will find that they are not qualified in any sort of nutrition or training. As it was pointed out meat does not contain carbs... if we on the board know that you would think anyone qualified to run a weight loss clinic should know that (they probably don't know how to count calories either). I would also be tempted to find out who to report this program to, it could save someones life.
LuckySmyle is offline   Reply With Quote