Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #16  

i think you have come a great way on your diet. also i think its wonderful that you want to continue your diet b/c you feel good about yourself and you feel healthy. and i dont think any certain size it considered beautiful. i'm somehow about a size 2, but i dont feel thin and i dont feel like a number should define weather i'm beautiful or not, or weather anyone is beautiful or not.
pink_x_lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #17  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Right areotigergirl! Sometimes we give the scale too much power and then feel like failures because of the numbers.

Taking the approach of good health and feeling well and energized makes more sense to me too.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 285~286~185

I had a physical trainer that told me to take a hammer to my scale, or throw it off the balcony, or whatever-- I didn't take his advice because I like to see when I'm retaining water, or letting the scale give me a wake up call-- BUT there was definately some merit to his suggestion. He had said since I am so bulky (I can't help it, I am really quite muscular), that I'll ALWAYS weigh more than what averages and so on "say" I should weigh. He said that most people would rather be the healthiest we can be at 250 pounds than the unhealthiest and fit we can be at 150.
erinid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 280/275/170

Height: 5'10"

Who lied? I lied to myself! When I was a teenager I though that I should have the same body as some model on the pages of a magazine. I'm me, I'm different. I'm not saying that I should not take care of myself but if I am taking care of myself and if the scale is up in the 200's or the pant size has an X after it, I should be proud that I'm doing the right thing for myself.

Yes, I want the scale to be below the 200's and I don't want an X on my pants size. However, it is not going to effect how I feel about myself if that doesn't happen. Some of us watch the scale, that is ok.

I gained all my weight when I went through a divorce and major depression, but learned after alot of personal evalulation that I'm am a wonderful woman on the inside no matter what the package looks like on the outside and there are alot of other women out there on this site that can and should say the same thing to themselves no matter what the scale says.
kristine724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #20  

Great attitude! I think we all want to look better and feel better. The numbers themselves are just a guideline. We get the same guidelines from the way our clothes fit, our energy levels, how many stairs we can climb before being out of breath, etc. The scale is just one more way to measure our progress.

As far as beauty is concerned, well that's in the eye of the beholder. And I don't necessarily need everyone in the world to think I'm beautiful. I need to look in the mirror and see beauty.
snowflakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #21  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Ole
I would rather be 250 and happy and healthy than 130 and miserable and out of shape
I want a third option!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:45 PM   #22  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Ya know...

the thing about the "number on the scale" is that is really gives a false sense of your health and fitness level! I mean if you have more mucle mass you will weigh more (for example at my fittest I was 135 and a size4 now I am 130 and a size 7-get what I am saying) the more muslce you have the more you weigh but the smaller you are... so it really sould be about achieve a healthy body fat % not about waht the scale says! Plus if you are sooooo hung up on what the scale says you have NO time to enjoy your body for what it can do. If you mind is constantly bombarded with thoughts about how you are "2 pounds up today" think about how much that affects you day...you feel horrible about yourself all day, which in turn affects how you interact with people, how well you do your job, how much focus you put on you children it goes ON AND ON AND ON....

I think if you make healthy choices everyday and exercise regularly you shouldn't even have to have a scale in your house!...

I don't own one

Last edited by fitgal2; 04-26-2006 at 07:52 PM.
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:11 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitgal2
I think if you make healthy choices everyday and exercise regularly you shouldn't even have to have a scale in your house!...
Well I think probably all of us KNOW if we had been doing that the past few years, we too would not need to have the scale and not care about the numbers on it! But since many of us haven't... well we still want to see those numbers go down!!

Your comments are true, of course, to a large extent and within reasonable weight fluctuations. Congratulations on being one who IS in that range. But for those of us still plugging along on our way to OneDerland... I at least will still be checking those numbers!!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 07:46 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 188/188/150

Height: 5'7

Wow, lots of responses. I'm glad that I provoked some thought on this issue.

Aerotigergirl, you are so right on in your post. You got exactly what I was trying to say!

Fitgal2- EXACTLY! When I saw that I was 2 pounds higher, it affected my whole day - everything I did, my mood.... that was when I realized that I was giving the scale too much power, and I was angry that all this time I have been unhappy with myself, when really, I am a beautiful in my soul, as well as on the outside- even though I haven't reached my goal weight or fitness level yet, I am starting to truly appreciate my body and the gift that it is!

Misti- I think it is great that you are so motivated. I think the scale can be great for people who have more self control than I do For myself, I just let the scale have too much influence on me, but I am ALL for whatever works in your journey. Everyone has to find their own way, and it looks like you have found yours. That is awesome, and I wish you lots of luck on your way to ONEderland. You'll get there girly
judes26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by judes26
Misti- I think it is great that you are so motivated. I think the scale can be great for people who have more self control than I do For myself, I just let the scale have too much influence on me, but I am ALL for whatever works in your journey. Everyone has to find their own way, and it looks like you have found yours. That is awesome, and I wish you lots of luck on your way to ONEderland. You'll get there girly
I agree... we all think differently! LOL I tried the not weighing or just once a week and it drove me NUTS... it is not that I am so motivated... I am desperate LOL. I just want to KNOW! But for some people that discourages them.

Wishing you great success too!
Old 04-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #26  
Want them Muscles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
Well I think probably all of us KNOW if we had been doing that the past few years, we too would not need to have the scale and not care about the numbers on it! But since many of us haven't... well we still want to see those numbers go down!!

Your comments are true, of course, to a large extent and within reasonable weight fluctuations. Congratulations on being one who IS in that range. But for those of us still plugging along on our way to OneDerland... I at least will still be checking those numbers!!!!

I hear what you are saying, but think about it this way, if you are gaining muscle mass you are losing bodyfat cuz muscle burns more calories...BUT if you look at the scale the numbers may not changed for weeks (yes eventually they do change but it takes longer to SEE the numbers go down) so some may get discourgaed and give up.
But I can tell Misti you probably are not one of those people
Old 04-27-2006, 11:35 AM   #27  
Want them Muscles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judes26
Fitgal2- EXACTLY! When I saw that I was 2 pounds higher, it affected my whole day - everything I did, my mood.... that was when I realized that I was giving the scale too much power, and I was angry that all this time I have been unhappy with myself, when really, I am a beautiful in my soul, as well as on the outside- even though I haven't reached my goal weight or fitness level yet, I am starting to truly appreciate my body and the gift that it is!

I believe that if we all love ourselves wholey and unconditionally and realize that we all are beautiful, inside and out just the way we are, then we will begin to feed our bodies with only good things, including the ocational treat Once we see what our bodies can do for us then we probably wouldn't dare harm it...
Old 04-27-2006, 08:22 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitgal2
I hear what you are saying, but think about it this way, if you are gaining muscle mass you are losing bodyfat cuz muscle burns more calories...BUT if you look at the scale the numbers may not changed for weeks (yes eventually they do change but it takes longer to SEE the numbers go down) so some may get discourgaed and give up.
But I can tell Misti you probably are not one of those people
Oh true I know the logic of it LOL. And unfortunately yes I have given up in the past. That's what happened this last time. I was close to my goal weight when all of a sudden NOTHING worked! So I gave up. I should have gone to my doctor and sought more help... turned out I had a thyroid tumor and with the surgery and afterwards I let the weight just pile on me! I'm sure not any more "noble" about the cause than others, for sure! But eventually yah I WILL get it off and I won't give up!! LOL and if you don't think I get discouraged you are lucky you haven't heard all my whining to my two best friends the past couple of days.

But you are right in that we DO all respond differently to things. If I quit watchng the scale I would end up gaining and gaining.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:59 AM   #29  

Who lied? The media, definitely.

I am in my 40s. I weighed well under 100 lb (and I'm 5' 6") for all my teenage years - I ate like a pig, as well, but then I walked/cycled everywhere and played tennis 5 hours a day. That was in th 1970s and for kids, those activity levels were 'normal'. I didn't even consider myself 'sporty'! A kid doing all that now would be seen as a fitness freak!

All through my twenties, I weighed around 130lb and was a UK size 8 (US 4).
Despite severe PCOS. Despite an appalling diet. Again, I walked many miles a day, and cycled maybe 50 miles most weekends.

But here's the rub. When I was a size 4 - and honestly I made Kate Moss look fat - I thought of myself as 'ugly'. Why? According to the media, and societal fashions, I was 'too thin'! What is now seen as the ideal was seen as ugly in the 1970s! I remember seeing beauty competitions on TV like 'Miss World' right throughout my teens and early twenties when they'd give you the girls' statistics and clearly remember saying every single one was way fatter than me. My stepsisters all of whom were probably a UK size 14 (US 10) had loads of boyfriends and were the same size as the women on TV who we were told were 'beautiful'. No bloke gave me a second look because I was a size 4 so was always told I looked like a boy!

Now it's totally the opposite. The size I was is now the fashion - but most of the women in the media you will see who are size 4 have dieted down to it. It is not their natural size, so they look skeletal and 'wrong'. (In the UK press they're called 'Lollipops' as they have huge heads on stick thin bodies). Almost none of them are genuine, natural size 4s - I could eat entire packets of chocolate biscuits day in day out, and huge fry-ups and not put on an ounce. Most of these women would balloon up if they so much as sniffed one piece of chocolate!

It's all about fashion and the male-driven, male oriented media. Now they want women to look pre-pubescent, or like little boys - and you have to wonder about that mind-set! When I was size 4, in the 70s and 80s, I didn't get a second glance precisely because I looked like a child.

Despite media obsessions and fads, it's interesting that 'real' men do seem to appreciate a 'real' woman! I have been all sizes, from 8 - 22 (US 4 - 18) and always get the optimum amount of male attention not at size 10 (US 6), as you'd think but at a curvy size 12 (US 8) or even 14 (US 10). Although the media tell us lollipops are 'in', I think real people on the street see it differently.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:00 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 188/188/150

Height: 5'7

wow, great post phatphoenix! the lollipop thing cracks me up!
judes26 is offline   Reply With Quote