Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 188/188/150

Height: 5'7

GREAT post LLV- thanks for the link, very helpful!
judes26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #17  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by judes26
GREAT post LLV- thanks for the link, very helpful!
You're very welcome
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #18  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstorey
Ok, I read the link about plateau's in Linda's link. I've heard about zig zagging before but never used it. Do any of you out there use it? What do you think about it?
I've done it and it worked for me. Sometimes I up my calories not intentionally but sort of 'accidentally'. Like over Easter weekend. I ate a ton of food (well, more than I normally would) candy and all kinds of stuff. I wanted to cover my eyes getting on the scale a couple of days later because I fully expected to be up a pound or two and instead I had lost.

Eating a few more calories than normal for a couple of days, in my opinion, 'upsets' the balance your body is used to being stuck in and causes things to move again. At least that's how it's worked for many others. When you eat the same amount of calories day in and day out, your body gets stuck in that routine and settles. If you up your calories a little bit, your body goes, "Weee! Food! More calories to burn!" and it gets the metabolism revved up some. So then when you drop your calories back down, your metabolism is still 'up there' from the extra calories it's had to burn off and you're going to burn more than you're eating. If that makes any sense, lol.

That's the best way to explain it, I suppose. Do a search on zig-zagging or calorie cycling and read up on it. It's pretty interesting.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #19  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Thanks Linda for the link..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
think maintenance of ANY pounds lost is an enormous success.
I absolutely agree, Meg.

I think what it would be like say if I were overweight in the 1800's when personal scales were not the norm in households. I know in Anitbellum times weight control was measured in inches around the waist for women.. this was not always healthy as young beauties all wanted 19 inch waists!

Anyway, I just find that waiting for a number on the scale to move down when it won't seem to budge and being frustrated because of it is strange.

As you keep at your plan,.. eating, exercising, enjoying life..all of that YOU have to be getting closer to your goals even if the scale "seems" to be stuck. You can be the same mass yet still be getting thinner and healthier. Or as Linda and Meg say your body could just be adjusting to what you've recently put it through.

If I ever reach a plateau and change my mind about how I feel, I'll be sure to come back and tell everyone I understand.

In the meantime.... keep doing what you know you need to do.. I will be.

Last edited by Jayde; 04-26-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #20  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

I got into a plateau for a month then the following month kept going up and down a little lower than my stall the month before. This has allowed me time to adjust (mentally) to my new size. I no longer have to shop in the plus section of stores (although right now I'm only shopping for clothes at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or Target). I can actually fit into an XL shirt and some Larges. I bought bikini underwear for the first time in my life and it fits good!

Now I'm losing again and I'll have to adjust to a new lower weight and smaller size soon. I've been overweight all my life and this plateau or adjustment period is actually nice. Yes I want to lose weight and I want it now... but I also need time to accept my new body and get used to it in small stages.

This isn't to say I didn't get frustrated during that time. Because I certainly did. But in hindsight, it was actually something good. Eating this way and working my butt off is something I have to do every single day for the rest of my life. I need to get used to it, because it's here to stay.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:15 PM   #21  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBran
I've been overweight all my life and this plateau or adjustment period is actually nice. Yes I want to lose weight and I want it now... but I also need time to accept my new body and get used to it in small stages.

This isn't to say I didn't get frustrated during that time. Because I certainly did. But in hindsight, it was actually something good. Eating this way and working my butt off is something I have to do every single day for the rest of my life. I need to get used to it, because it's here to stay.
Wow, Brandi. Though some might think it strange, I am almost glad it will take me awhile to lose significant weight. I need the time to adjust also and figure things out. Especially maintenance and awareness of how I let this happen in the first place.

One thing I've had to adjust to is weighing myself daily. For myself I know it is the key to keep me from falling into bad habits and denial. On the other hand, now that I watch the scale every day I wonder if it will have a negative impact on my patience. I am trying to be proactive to make sure I don't get that mind set.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:52 PM   #22  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Whenever I get into the "poor me" mindset when I hit a plateau (like now) I remind myself that I've been overweight for 30 YEARS!!! Even if I only lose 10 pounds A YEAR, I'll reach my goal in just 4 years! Of course, I'm hoping it won't take THAT long! If I've got another 30 years left on this earth, I don't want to be overweight for the rest of my life and I am the only one who can do anything about it.

I know I'm doing the right things (most of the time) and even if I am on a temporary plateau, the way I see it is that I'm not gaining and soon I will l be losing again. So there's hope if I just hang in there and not have a big pity party and start consoling myself with food.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I've related my plateau experience before, but it's fairly applicable to this topic so I'll post it again I started losing weight at 195+ lbs in July 2004. By March 2005, I weighed 140 lbs with a goal of 135 lbs. I stayed at 140 for 12 weeks. It was very frustrating to be stuck at 140, I hadn't seen 13something since the early 90s. I ate more, I ate less, I did more cardio, I did less cardio. I got on the scale 3 times a day. It was a pretty miserable 12 weeks where I felt like a big failure.

Then, around June, I realized - hey, I haven't gained any weight! I realized that I looked pretty damn good at 140, that I fit into cute size 10/medium clothes. I went into a shopping frenzy and decided to quit wasting time being miserable over 140 lbs when I looked and felt fabulous. I decided to start maintaining and slowly (over June, July, August) raised my caloric intake from 1600 to 1800+ (this was a very scary thing to do). Sometime during July/August (can't remember) the scale dipped down to 137. So happy! Under 140 at last.

In October, I went on a 4 week business trip to Singapore, Sydney and Tokyo. I tried to eat well, but it wasn't always easy and there were lots of rich dinners out and glasses of wine. I also did a ton of walking. Imagine my surprise when my pants felt looser when I got back. I got on the scale expecting to see a higher number and I weighed 135. I met my goal weight 8 months after I started plateauing in March 2005!

The scale kept creeping downward through December, January and February and my weight finally stabalized around 127. I normally swing between 126-130 during my monthly cycle (I only weigh once a week).

So, it took me 7 months to lose 52 lbs. Then it took me 9 months to lose 5 lbs and another 3 months to lose 8 lbs. The last little bit really really comes off slowly! I definitely credit my increase in daily calories with busting my plateau. I was eating just under maintenance - a small caloric deficit was a big win for me!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #24  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

The reason Plateaus are so frustrating and we dont like them is because we feel like all are hard work is for nothing. Plateaus are also the one reason so many people give up on diets and trying to lose weight. I know I just hit one 2 weeks ago. It was a 4 week plateau and I was so frustrated it seems like all my efferts where for nothing. I need to lose weight not maintain.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #25  

Height: 5'8.5"

Exactly, Jtjoray! I can understand them... and put up with them... but I will NEVER like them LOL
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #26  
Brit Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
I weighed 140 lbs with a goal of 135 lbs. I stayed at 140 for 12 weeks.
Wow! 12 weeks is a LONG plateau. I bet you are glad you hung in there and tweaked your calories to achieve your goal. I think I'll try increasing my calories just a little - it might be the boost my metabolism needs to shake things up and get me going again.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #27  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
I can understand them... and put up with them... but I will NEVER like them LOL
Amen! It's like sitting in your car and pushing down on the gas pedal as hard as you can--and NOT GOING ANYWHERE! You're doing what you need to do to make it go, but it's just sitting there! That's how I feel about the scale when I KNOW I'm doing what I need to do, and the numbers just WON'T go down! And at such a high weight, I notice physical changes MUCH slower than others, so that's no motivation for me, either. I mean, I lost 40 pounds and didn't even go down a single pant size--so no, measuring or watching how my clothing fits still isn't always enough to keep me going
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote