Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/167/124

Default How do you motivate yourself to exercise?

I have been having a terrible time motivating myself to exercise. I'll walk a couple days in a row, but it hurts my shins, so I shut it down. I used to love being physical, now I run away from it. My daughter works at a fitness club, and my husband and son go work out 3 times a week, but I'm embarrassed to do there. Any ideas?
babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I find once I start I can't stop... haha
but it is getting started that it tuff. I sit here in my office and talk myself out of all day... I come home and see that huge treadmill sitting there taking up half my house and go... I better use it - only half an hour. Then I get to 20 min and im like weeeeeee and do it for an hour. I dunno. haha
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/167/124

I know how that is...my treadmill sits and gets dusty, along with my NordicTrac. But you're right, once I get going, I do ok. It's just the getting there....
babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:52 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

do I want to lose weight? YES!
that is all the motivation I need!
Old 04-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

also check out the coast to coast challenge in the exercise forum - that might help! It is a group of people that walk everyday and post how fat they walked and you walk across the US or something - I just joined the other day.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #6  

I've found that once I get in the habit of using my treadmill I come to enjoy it. I got strep throat and the flu about two weeks ago and I couldn't wait to get back to working out. I got one day of exercise in then I got sick again, a cold this time, and now that it's been roughly two weeks I'm finding I'm not quite as enthusiastic as a week ago. However, I know that after probably a week straight I'll get back in the groove. I think it's all about habits.

So my advice is....don't think about it, just do it
holicanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I have no problem doing stuff that is active, but I hate exercising. Right now I am using a punishment rather than a reward method. If I don't work out during the day I have to do 10 push ups and 50 sit ups.
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:18 PM   #8  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

I tell myself that the only way to get rid of this fat on my body is to exercise. If I don't do it, then it's just going to stay on there one more day. Right or not, that usually motivates me enough to start working out. The longer I wait to exercise, the longer I wait to get the body I want.

While I work out I say things like, "the harder I work, the more fat I leave behind" and mentally picturing myself walking or running away from blobs of fat. (Wouldn't it be nice to really be able to do that?) I also tell myself that sweat is just my body's way of getting rid of the melting fat. hehehe I know that isn't true, but it's kinda fun to think like that.

Some people use phrases like that. Some use posters or pictures of what they want to look like. The trick is to find something that is more important then not exercising (whatever it is you would be doing).
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #9  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I act like I have to do it, like its not an option. Generally thats the only way I will do anything, is if I HAVE to do it. Then I will exercise and get into that grody sweat and I think of it as "butter melting"
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #10  
Too thick

S/C/G: 301(42.0)/*ticker*/190(26.4)

Height: 5'11

Looking in the mirror motivates me and the fact that I dont want to fail. And to top it off everyone keeps telling me how proud they are that i am dedicated to going to the gym.
gagurl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2ShedLBS
I act like I have to do it, like its not an option.
I struggle with getting in exercise too, and that's how I have to think about it.

It's not about motivation, it's about commitment. Are you always motivated to go to work? Brush your teeth? No, you sometimes do it because you have to. I have to do it regularly if I want to be healthier.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:39 PM   #12  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

I go to school full time and work about 15 hours a week, so I always like to schedule my weeks ahead of time - I actually go into my day planner and fill it out at the beginning of the week (slightly anal retentive... I know!) - I even pencil in when I'll go grocery shopping or to the library. Going to the gym is one of the things I schedule, and once it's written down (in pen!) i do't see it as an option to not go. I always make sure I schedule it at times when I won't mind going - I'm not someone who can get up at 5 am to work out, so I don't even try. I also walk absolutely every where - to school, to work, to the store - so I fit in some extra exercise throughout my day. and on those really hard days, I look at the bikini I want to wear in Mexico at Christmas!
You say exercising hurts your shins - are you stretching? Are you warming up? Maybe you need better shoes - I know my shins can hurt if I don't wear my proper running shoes with lots of support. If it's none of these, you might want to go to a physiotherapist or your doctor to see if they can help you - if you can exercise comfortably it'll help you a lot.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:03 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical
also check out the coast to coast challenge in the exercise forum - that might help! It is a group of people that walk everyday and post how fat they walked and you walk across the US or something - I just joined the other day.
And we are glad you did! I think you meant how FAR we walk rather than how FAT but LOL hey if the shoe fits.... FAT is what we are fighting tee hee!

And yes I back up your invitation. It IS a great motivator!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 256/205/150

Height: 5' 6"

what motivates me is when I put on my dance music of the oldies and I just can't help it but to move move move!! nothing like a little copacabana and car wash and turn the beat around to get ya moving.! take care and have fun!!
higherfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #15  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical
also check out the coast to coast challenge in the exercise forum - that might help! It is a group of people that walk everyday and post how fat [far ] they walked and you walk across the US or something - I just joined the other day.
The Coast to Coast challenge came up at a perfect time for me. It has really helped me make cardio a regular part of my day. I've been at it I dunno.. um.. perhaps a month now and I think I've made walking (and now jogging) a habit. The support from everyone and fun of walking virtually across the continent as a group effort has been so motivating.

As I continue this I am working yoga in and playing around with strength training.

As Wyllen said, make the committment .. motivation is sometimes not enough to bank on.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote