Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #1  

Default Running Pains

Usually when I work out I go on the treadmill for 30 minutes and speed walk for 2 minutes at 4.8mph and jog for 2 minutes at 5.9mph. Last week while I was on it, I wasn't feeling tired at the end of the 2 minute jog so I kept going and ended up jogging for 10 minutes (yay!). But then when I tried to do it the next day, I started getting pains in my one hip halfway through the 10 minutes and now it seems whenever I'm jogging for more than a couple minutes I'm getting these pains. I'm trying to stretch a lot before I work out but I'm still getting the pains. Anyone have any good stretches for your hips or have any suggestions?
chelsia123o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #2  
takin it one lb at a time

Are you still doing the 4.8 miles before hand? Maybe try doing the 4.8, going up to 5.9, back down to 4.8, then try jogging the 5.9 as long as possible. This way your body is getting stretched out and warmed up before hand and everything. Also make sure you're properly hydrated and you're not eating too soon before you workout.
x0xmelissax0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

How's your form? Sometimes I find if I'm listening to music I forget to keep my form in check.. I would also suggest warming up more if you aren't already. Is the pain in your hip for sure? Could it be muscle pain? After running I sit with my legs out in a v, and stretch that way. It really seems to loosen me up and I'm ready to go again!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #4  
Mel

Try a different type of cardio for a while. I can only run about once a week because of hip pain. I switch around between the elliptical, hill walking (real or treadmill), recumbent bike, spinning, rollerblading and speed skating.

If it really hurts- STOP. Do something else for a while.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Sounds like an IT band problem. Are you stretching properly after you run on the treadmill?

This link has good stretches: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=484

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote