Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #1  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Default No drive to exercise + a question about numbness

I've been SO good about exercising lately. I've done 6 hours, or more, consistantly for about a month now. Suddenly, this week, I have absolutely no desire to do anything. I've done a couple hours just because I know I need to, but I don't want to do any more. At all. I don't understand why, either, since I was really enjoying exercise up until this week.

As a result of not exercising as much, I've been feeling very run-down. I haven't been sleeping as well, either.

I'm still losing weight, but not as quickly as when I exercise (obviously). I'm having no problem keeping within my calorie range. I just don't know how to get out of this no-exercise funk.

Last night, I barely slept. I got maybe 2 hours's sleep over the course of the 9 hours I was in bed. I don't know why, but my legs kept going numb. Now, this has sort of been a problem of mine for awhile. I've been having partial numbness in my right upper leg for a year now, but only when I sleep on my back. I've gone to several doctors about it, and after several tests that came back negative, they've told me that it was probably muscular weakness and it probably wouldn't help if I dropped weight. I haven't seen a doctor in a year, and since then I've lost 14 pounds and gained a significant amount of strength in my back and abs. Why, then, has the numbness spread to BOTH legs, through their entire length?!

Thank you everyone I really need to get out of this funk.
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #2  

Be persistent about the numbness in your legs. That isn't normal and you should keep seeing the doctor (different ones if you have to) until you have an explanation. It may be helpful to keep a log of when it happens, for how long, the circumstances, and anything that seems to aggrevate the problem. The more information you are able to give the doctor the more likely it is that he can help you.

As for not wanting to exercise, this is the best advice I've ever been given (by teapotdynamo):

"When I'm not feeling it, I always remind myself that I've never once regretted going, but I've regretted NOT going plenty of times."

It is true!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #3  
Beth

S/C/G: 200/147/130

"When I'm not feeling it, I always remind myself that I've never once regretted going, but I've regretted NOT going plenty of times."

I love it, thank you I will need this everyday when I do not want to excersie.

LadyFirelyght, I feel the same way you do. I hate driving to the gym it would be so much easier just going home. But, I have made the gym my time when I am done I love to go into the steam room that is my reward however, still do not always want to go.

I get the numbness to in my left leg. I started going to a chiro and got ajusted and found out that my hip sometime will go on a nerve and cause that.
azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #4  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Hi there, Lydia!

Is there something in the air? I, too, have the doldrums this week and just can't get myself motivated to workout. DS has been on school vacation this week and I think the lack of schedule has had something to do with it. I've been pretty good on food choices, just haven't done any exercise.

I'm planning to start back up on Monday. Sometimes, I guess I just need a break. I just wish I could enjoy this break rather than feeling so darned guilty about it. Maybe if I had planned it, rather than having it sneak up on me...

Be good to yourself, dear. Maybe you, too, needed a break.

As far as the numbness, I echo the poster above. Get it checked out. You shouldn't be having unexplained numbness anywhere. If your current doctor doesn't want to help, see if you can find another.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:26 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I agree, be persistent and seek a physician's help to find out what the problem is. It could be many different things. Good Luck on finding the willpower to work out. This is hard for me at times too, but after I do it, I always feel better.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:27 AM   #6  

Height: 5'9

I have numbness in my left, lower leg as well. It starts on the outside of my leg, halfway down the calf and then spreads down and over the top of my foot. Some days are worse than others, but it's only the skin that's numb. I noticed it almost a year ago, while shaving my legs. I've talked to my doctor and he had no idea what could be causing it. He referred me to a neurologist. I had X-Rays done, an MRI, and also a nerve stimulation test (which was HORRIBLE). In conclusion, no one could give me a DEFINATE answer. The neurologist said he thinks it's my sciatic nerve and I should try to build up my butt muscles! Other than that, there's nothing they can really do for it.

Oh and you will get your motivation back to exercise. This has happened to me many times on my journey. That's why they call it a lifestyle change!! You'll get it back. Try doing something new for exercise. That always helped me.

Good luck!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #7  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Thank you, everyone, for your responses! I'm feeling better today, and had only my "regular" numbness last night. I'm going to push myself to do SOME exercise today, since I haven't done any the last two days.
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote