Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/130

Default I'm fat and everything I try doesn't work!! I need help!

Hey Everybody! My name is Caitlin and I'm 15 years old. I'm really over weight and I've tried a lot of different diets, but none seem to work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I need help. I need motivation big time. I just wish there was some way to get rid of that little voice in my head saying go ahead take a bit it won't hurt anything or go off you diet it's not worth it anyways, but it's always there. It haunts me day and night. My weight is always on my mind and I'm about tired of it. I have been trying since 4th grade to lose weight. Ever since then I've been made fun of and it really brings me down in life. I just need help. So if you have a success story that you think could change my life. Please share. THANKS SOOO MUCH!!!

Love Always,
Caitlin
CatLover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:40 PM   #2  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Hi sweetie!
How tall are you and what do you weigh? Also, have you talked to your doctor about this?
As for going off the diet, don't feel bad. it happens! It DOES matter that you get back on it. A day or two of eating crap food won't make a huge difference, but a week or two will.
I eat lots of meals/snacks through out the day. I love celery dipped in salsa, luna bars (i eat one a day when I need chocolate). Fiber one cereal is great in the morning--it's got a ton of fiber which helps fill you up. also, I notice when I eat an apple every day, I don't crave sweets nearly as much. I like chopping up fruits and veggies at night, then throwing them in the fridge in baggies. When I want a snack, I grab one. And for pete's sake, if the pizza the rest of your family is tempting you, eat a slice. Just don't eat three or four!
I take stairs instead of elevators, and walk during commercial breaks--anything to get off my fanny!
I also drink about 60-80 ounces of water a day-i love it.
One last thing: I'm proud of you!!!!!! You need to hear that! Talk with your mom/dad/oldersiblings/ school nurse about this. You want to make sure you don't try to lose weight in a dangerous weigh: PILLS DO NOT WORK!!!! You are not alone--this web site has tons of ladies ho would love to chat with you who are going through the same problems you are, so don't feel bad about venting.
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:48 PM   #3  
Losing for Life!

Caitlin,

I know how tough it can be to lose weight at your age. I first came to WW when I was 10. I hope you are getting support from your parents and doctor if you are trying to lose weight.

The best thing I can tell you is to get into some good fun activities like soccer or gymnastics. Something you will be doing 3 times a week. Every night after supper take your Mom and Dad or just one of them and go for a walk. Walk for as long as you can, it may just be 10 minutes at first then build up to longer until you can walk for 1/2 an hour.

If you are not already add some veggies and fruits to your day and pick one or two days a week that you can have a special treat. Maybe a bag of chips and I mean a single serving size not the jumbo bag. Or maybe a meal at your favorite fast food place, NO super sizing, and get the small fries.

You can still eat the things you enjoy, just make sure it is not every day. And make sure on days when you have a special treat you add a little extra fruit and maybe 5-10 more minutes of activity.

You are old enough to understand the basic health guidlines for eating. Use a smaller plate and make sure half of it is veggies and salad and make sure that a serving of potatos or meat is no larger than your fist (potatos) and palm (meat). If you are still hungry, eat more veggies.

Make sure you drink your milk and if you drink a lot of soda eliminate it or cut it back.

You can do this without being on a "diet". Ask your parents for help and your Doctor too.

But remember that you need to move to be healthy, you can do it, I know you can!
Sheri~C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #4  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Hi Caitlin. I'm so glad that you found us. This is a wonderful online community that is very supportive. But I have to tell you right off the bat, no success story in the world is going to change your life. Only you can change your life. I feel it's important that you hear that now and maybe you can save yourself from many more years of yo-yo dieting that many of us here have experienced. Losing weight is not easy, which I'm sure you realize by now. There are going to be days that you just don't feel like being bothered. It's those days when you have to reach deep down within yourself and ask, "Is this piece of cake (or whatever the food is) more important than losing weight?" Some days you will absolutely no motivation, that's when committment and determination come into play. The great thing about 3FC is that you have a wealth of support and that definitely helps.

You said you have tried a lot of different diets. Do you also exercise? Alot of people here count calories. Me, I try to eat good carbs and stay away from refined carbs. I also pay attention to my calories and I try not to consume a lot of fat. I also exercise every day (or least I try to). Hope this helps some.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #5  

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I will try it and see if it works. Right now I'm on the Nutrisystem Diet. I've been on it for 2 days and I gained half a pound. It really makes me angry when I don't lose weight like the first few days because I had been on the low carb diet for awhile and like the first 2 days I lost like 8 pounds. Which was awesome. My mom supports me in this. She is also trying to lose weight. She has already lost 70 pounds. I'm 5'7 and I weigh 230. Anyways thanks again for your advice. Bye!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #6  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

Hi Caitlin - first of all, ! Realizing that you really need to get serious about weight loss is a big step - some of us take years to come to terms with it. My first suggestion would be to see your doctor. I really only got serious, and starting having successes, with weight loss after I talked to my doctor. He or she should be able to help you come up with a healthy and maintainable "diet". In reality, I don't even think it should be called a diet, since diets aren't a way to live. What you raelly want to do is make lifestykle changes. I found it helped starting with little changes. I usually had a bag of chips in the afternoon, but switched to carrot sticks instead - little steps like that are a lot easier to handle than huge changes.
Make sure your parents and friends are aware that you're trying to get healthier - the bigger the support network the better.
As teahoney said, there's not a miracle program that will help change your life - it's different for everyone. My big struggle was getting off sugar, which included processed carbs, so that's what I focused on. I mainly try to count calories, avoid processed carbs and sugar, and avoid bad fats (I get all my fats from avocados, olive oil, fish, etc). And I work out 4-5 times per week. Again, I think it would be best to go to your doctor to help figure out what will work best for you. And don't be too hard on yourself - it may come off slowly, and it may be difficult, but this is a change that will last a lifetime. Hope to see you on here some more!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Hi Caitlin! I know how hard it can be to be overweight in high school, when everyone else seems to be an Abercrombie model. It sounds like you have the drive and determination, but just need a good plan and a way to keep on it for good. This may seem like a really stupid idea, but I think you get a bracelet. There are tons of bead stores in which you can make your own, and they have beads with letters and numbers on them. You could make yourself a bracelet with bright colors and your goal weight on it, and make sure to wear it every day. Then, when you reach that hand out to grab a snickers bar, you'll see it and have to make a conscious decision.

Good luck, and I can't wait to read about all your success!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:12 PM   #8  
Finding Me

Caitlin,
My heart goes out to you. I have been overweight scince I was 5 or 6 (mostly medical reason that went BAD!) I know that it can be depressing, and really hard. Especially if your friends arnt in the same boat as you. I am really glad that you are doing something and trying and I hope nutrisystem works for you...however, I know diets like thoes can be effective but once they are over....then what? I really think it's important that you learn to eat healthy and the benefits of it. Losing weight and being healthy really isn't about going on a "diet"...it is about changing your lifestyle, mentally and physically.

If you want pizza or something sweet or chips even, they're are LOTS of low calorie GREAT tasting options out there. Check out meals like Lean Cusine and heathly choice....Pringles and Popcorn come in 100 calorie snack packs!

Get active and stay active...itll be hard at first, but it will get easier! and please please please don't eat when you're depressed!! I used to do that all the time, and don't eat when you're bored, or when you're sitting in front of the TV.

I wish you all the luck in the world and all the support! You took the most important step by just admiting you want this and looking for help!

We are all here for you if you need any advice or anything!!

Good luck sweetie

Christina
Lost_here84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #9  

Thanks again everybody. I will try the bracelet idea, kate, thanks! It really makes me feel good knowing that ya'll would give ya'lls time to help me. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I will keep you posted on how I'm doing.

LOVE YA!!!!
Caitlin
Old 03-15-2006, 11:40 PM   #10  
Going to ONEderland

If low carb worked for you, then why did you stop doing it? I love low carb as a way of losing weight. I eat meats and veggys mostly. Some eggs, some berries, some dairy. Most of what I eat is balanced and reasonable, and nutritious. Plus it is filling and you don't have to be hungry because you can eat when you are.

You should make sure and drink a lot of water if you are doing it and take some potassium pills at least during the early stages of low carb. Take your vitamins too. Yes you lose weight quickly, but most of the early weight is water loss. It does slow down to normal after awhile.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:39 AM   #11  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Wink Hi

HI Caitlin
First you need to realize that you are beautiful girl who is still growing, if you have been on a diet since 4th grade( my mom put me on one in 5th, when I was young too), and you still have not lost weight, diets don't work. First I would say go to a dietician and find a food plan that is good for a growing teenager, and then I would suggest exercise! When you starve yourself, you may lose weight for a while, but it will all come back on in the end( I am living proof). Can you join a gym? or the Y? OR just get out and walk for an hour anything would be great. I wish you success! from another cat lover...
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:39 PM   #12  

Hey Everybody! I blew my diet today! GOSH!! My mom told me that we are going to try something different because the Nutrisystem thing just isn't working and the food taste sooo nasty. So for the next 2 days I'm going to be thinking of a plan and maybe ya'll could help me by just naming different diets and stuff I can try. I'm going to try and eat more healthy food and also exercise a lot. So if you have anymore ideas then I'm all ears. LOL!!! BYE!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #13  
Finding Me

Caitlin,
I am just going to repeat some things i think that were already said, instead of saying that you are going on a diet...why not just change your lifestyle. Diets are okay...but diets don't give the thought of something permenate(sp?) It is better to learn a healthy way of eating...a good balanced diet. You might even be able to talk to your schools heath teacher or school nurse! Usually they are willing to help, at least mine were. Its all about portion, moderation and learning about the different food groups. Getting lots of lean protien, fiber and things like that. I hope this helps ....

Best of luck

christina
Lost_here84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #14  

Hey everybody! I just wanted to let ya'll know that just because I blew my diet today doesn't mean I'm going to give up. Sunday I'm really going to get with it and start chaning my life. I'm 15 and I still have a long time to live and I want to live it happy and excited about life not depressed about it. So that's why I'm ready to change my life and I would really like ya'lls love and support to help me out. Thanks!

Caitlin
Old 03-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #15  

I changed my mind. I'm going to get with it tomorrow. YEP!! I'm ready to start changing my life, but I will admitt it's going to be hard and I can't do it alone. So please help me out. I will check the replys everyday for motivation.