Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #1  
takin it one lb at a time

Angry *rawr*

Everyday I have to take a ferry to get to and from work. In the morning I'm usually a-okay (and too tired to get anything anyway ). The afternoon is a different story though... I binge so much! It's rediculous! 900 calories after I got off of work at 5pm! This is making me so angry... I seriously sabatoge a whole day by messing up after work.

Sorry guys. I just wanted to vent.
x0xmelissax0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #2  
35lbs gone by 5/14

S/C/G: 235/230/135

Melissa,
I know how you feel I have the same problem. Have you tried packing a snack to eat on the afternoon float home? That would tide you over and take the edge off of your hunger until you eat supper. Maybe string cheese, cashews, almonds, or a piece of fruit. I find that if I plan ahead, I don't binge as much. I hope this helps you.

Terina
katielab'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #3  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Hey, I'm ferry commuter too I usually bring a snack for the ride home or eat something right before I leave work. I used to eat in the galley back in the day, but after breaking the habit it doesn't even occur to me that it's an option anymore. That's the nice thing about being creatures of habit I guess, it can work for you as well as against you.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #4  

Same problem here. Except mine is stress from my 4 year old and 17 month old. I am golden until I get done teaching and it's down hill from there. It's so hard!
sag123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I have an hour long commute getting home myself. I find that if I eat before I leave from work and keep some easily snackable foods in my bag I can fend off the great after work hungries. Sometimes I have a few minutes between buses so I'll snack a little then also. I keep things like yogurt drinks, string cheese, carrot sticks, crackers, a granny smith apple or banana. Some fruit tends to set me off and I have to be careful of the really sweet fruits.

If I'm not careful I could easily eat 1000 calories while I'm fixing dinner, it's so easy to grab very energy dense foods. "Hey, there's only a 1/2 a piece of fish leftover from last night, might as well wash that bowl and those walnuts are good, a slice of cheese to go with the fish, a glass of milk to wash it all down, have to taste what I'm cooking to make sure it's ok, then a little more, and of course I need to eat dinner with the family" and before I know it I've eaten way too much.

I've learned to catch it before it gets so bad.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Same problem (although I no longer have to commute on the Washington Ferries). I would get so hungry between work and dinner that I would eat while I cooked or pig out on something I didn't need as soon as I got home or stop somewhere on the way home.

Now, I keep a stash of apples or cliff bars in my car and eat 1 on the way home from work with a bottle of water. This way I am not starving when I get home and can wait until dinner to eat.

Never enter the cafeteria unless you can be consistant about always buying the same thing ~ like an apple and a bottle of water.
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

are you buying food on the ferry? i agree about keeping some "smart" snacks with you. but also think about the kind of food that gets sold there! for some reason street vendors and food on boats grosses me out. lol. i just always imagine the worst hygiene. plus nutritionally its probably not the best anyways- even if youre not ocd and eating that stuff doesnt bother you.

also- dont bring any money with you. or no more than you need for the ferry.

also - lastly think how much $$ a week youre spending on the ferry food... at least 15-20$ right?? think of all the better things you could do with that.

good luck!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:42 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyfreddy
also- dont bring any money with you.
I totally agree...having cash in my pockets while at work and out with my clients (I work with DD adults) was the worst thing for me. My employer doesn't purchase junk food to keep in the house and we usually prepare "healthy" meals - so the girls are ALWAYS looking forward to junk or fast food while we're out - and who was I to deny them that? So, I'd go along and at the same time spend some $$ on the hot dog at the 7-11 or the cheeseburger at McD's...

Nowadays I carry no cash - only a debit card for emergencies (and the meal and snacks I've prepared for my shift) and it has helped A LOT with curbing the spending on food.

Peace.
CM
Chubmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:39 PM   #9  
Special K

S/C/G: 329/297/170

Hello, I've had to stop carring any money or credit cards, I'm the same way. I think about how I can get out of the house a few minutes early to stop at the store and get myself some junk food for work. I used to stop every day on my way to work, then it became just the mornings I would work my day rotation (but then I'd stock up my locker at work). Now I'm trying to make a real effort to drive straight to work without any stops. My husband usually puts gas in our cars, because if I go do it I have one heck of a time leaving the gas station with only buying gas. Now I'm planning my meals for work and any snacks ahead of time to keep from driving towards the candy isle. Kindra.
blue_eyed_one1974 is offline   Reply With Quote