Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-25-2006, 07:13 PM   #16  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dance4joy
And it is REALLY hard to eat as many calories in carrots as in chocolate.

Dance
That all depends on how much chocolate you eat. For example, usually when I want some chocolate, I'll eat one or two Hershey Kisses or maybe 5 or 6 M&M's. I can eat a WHOLE lot more calories than that in carrots. So I'm more likely to count my carrot calories than my chocolate calories.

However, I do agree that once you count calories for so long and all the stuff that comes with it - weighing this, measuring that, etc - that it gets easier to know how many calories is in "so & so" serving size. In fact, I can probably get away with not counting calories at all now. But I still do it just for my own peace of mind
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:17 PM   #17  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
So, for me, I guess my point is that it's all about accountability and a bit of a reality check regarding portion control. Of course, I'm also a religious calorie-counter,
Me too

Hey, where's my kick in the butt for falling off the "zig-zag" wagon? I've been chickening out! Although today I've definitely had my share of extra calories, munching this and that while putting some Sunday do-aheads together.

(pssst, plus I had those 5 or 6... okay, maybe 8 or 9 M&M's, lol)
Old 02-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #18  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Dance--you're right (re: we are all different), so I wasn't responding only to you I only used carrots and chocolate because that was what had previously been mentioned (I don't actually eat either--I hate carrots and am unlike most women in that I don't much care for chocolate ), but sometimes even things that we think are good for us can add up very quickly, and portion sizes can get out of control. Also, yes, I absolutely still eat junk food. Not every single day, mind you, but if I didn't eat it EVER, I would feel extremely deprived and would end up binging, as I have heard many other women on here confess to as well. So, my whole point was simply that Fitday acts as a way to keep me accountable because I am brutally honest about what I do eat from the big meals down to the licking of the peanut butter off the knife when I make my boyfriend's sandwich for lunch

For me right now, it IS all about calories--well, to an extent. It is my main factor of focus. I still eat more whole foods than processed and keep an eye on my fats (especially trans fats) and sodium and such and have had my blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, and all that other good stuff tested--despite the junk food here and there (and the extra pounds I'm working to get rid of), I am quite healthy

In any case, snowflake, if you can successfully lose weight without keeping such structured track of everything in a program like Fitday, then I wouldn't worry about it! Nothing can make EVERYONE happy since we are all so different, but as long as you are successful (in whatever your individual goals may be, whether it is to lose weight or eat healthy or exercise your tail off or all of the above!), then who's to say, "You must use Fitday!"
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #19  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
That all depends on how much chocolate you eat. For example, usually when I want some chocolate, I'll eat one or two Hershey Kisses or maybe 5 or 6 M&M's. I can eat a WHOLE lot more calories than that in carrots. So I'm more likely to count my carrot calories than my chocolate calories.
LOL okay, I will accept that and stand corrected! If you just eat the small amount of chocolate YOU do, that will definitely not be a problem!!!

Dance
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720

In any case, snowflake, if you can successfully lose weight without keeping such structured track of everything in a program like Fitday, then I wouldn't worry about it! Nothing can make EVERYONE happy since we are all so different, but as long as you are successful (in whatever your individual goals may be, whether it is to lose weight or eat healthy or exercise your tail off or all of the above!), then who's to say, "You must use Fitday!"
VERY well said! And sometimes if something is not working for us we need to CHANGE our strategy and try something else!!

Dance
Old 02-25-2006, 07:41 PM   #21  
LLV

Quote:
LOL okay, I will accept that and stand corrected! If you just eat the small amount of chocolate YOU do, that will definitely not be a problem!!!

Dance
Maybe if we eat chocolate-covered carrots?

lol

j/k
Old 02-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
Maybe if we eat chocolate-covered carrots?

lol

j/k
LOL Bad bad bad! Don't even THINK about it!!!!

Maybe the nutrients in the carrots would cancel out the calories and fat in the chocolate....???

Dance
Old 02-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #23  
LLV

Quote:
LOL Bad bad bad! Don't even THINK about it!!!!

Maybe the nutrients in the carrots would cancel out the calories and fat in the chocolate....???

Dance
Ewwwww, I dunno, just the thought is enough to make me gag.

lol
Old 02-25-2006, 07:51 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
Ewwwww, I dunno, just the thought is enough to make me gag.

lol
LOL I don't think it would be my thing either

Dance
Old 02-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #25  
LLV

Quote:
LOL I don't think it would be my thing either

Dance
Now, chocolate-covered pretzels? Yep, love those.

Chocolate-covered fruit is good, too. Strawberries, bananas, apples, etc.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #26  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Hehe I'm wilth Jilly on the chocolate issue. It seems there aren't many of us, Jilly, for whom chocolate is a non-issue, but we do exist! I know of at least one other here on the boards!

Regarding tracking vs non-tracking, I'd say the responses here to this thread show that it really is an individual thing. If tracking (by whatever means you've used) makes you C-R-A-Z-Y and if you can manage your weight-loss/maintenance without, don't do it! There is enough stress in weight-loss/management without introducing more!

By the same token, if tracking (by whatever means) helps you stay accountable, by all means, do it!

As for me, I track. I use FitdayPC and, for the most part, really like it. I'm a former accountant, so tracking and hard numbers really appeals to me, even though I keep in mind that all of it is really just a good approximation.

Do what makes you feel most comfortable and that's what you'll be most likely to keep up with.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less of Lena
Hehe I'm wilth Jilly on the chocolate issue. It seems there aren't many of us, Jilly, for whom chocolate is a non-issue, but we do exist! I know of at least one other here on the boards!
Well it could be for me if I let it get to me or started eating it. But if I am giving up all of that kind of thing it's not that big a deal to give up. I do make my own flavored mochas... we Seattleites are big on our coffee LOL... but I go to Cash 'N Carry and buy all my own sugar free (Splenda) coffee syrups, buy gourmet coffee, and make it with skim milk. Oh and I buy Hershey's dark chocolate powder and put a spoonful into the grounds before I brew the coffee. Yum... so that is good enough for me for my chocolate/dessert "fix."

Dance

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 02-25-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #28  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less of Lena
Chocolate has never been an issue for me, either. I'm not a real big sweet-eater. Which is why I can get away with only eating one or two Hershey Kisses at a time. I've got a friend of mine that could sit down and eat a whole box of chocolates in one sitting if she'd let herself. Me, I've just never been that attracted to the sweet stuff. Heck, I'd rather have a good cookie than a chocolate bar anyday
Old 02-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #29  

I could easily eat a whole box of chocolates too and in fact I have, many times. Not recently though!!! But cookies are another of my weaknesses too as is cheesecake!!!

Dance
Old 02-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #30  
LLV

Quote:
I could easily eat a whole box of chocolates too and in fact I have, many times.
Ick, I definitely couldn't do that.

I don't like cheesecake either.