Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #1  
Cuban Cutie

S/C/G: 250/233.8/150

Default ***STUPID*** question about weighing yourself ...

I weigh myself daily. I've been trying to do it only in the morning, naked, post-peeing, etc and so far so good, I guess.

My question is when I get on the scale and have to look down to see the number I have to sort of shift my weight around (ie lean forward) to see the number (my belly gets in the way) -

If I have my husband come over and read it for me while I stand on it "straight" the number is always different but not always "better" (sometimes it IS better)

Ok so my stupid question :

If the same person with the same amount of weight is standing on the scale .. why is it fluctuating ? (and I'm talking 1-3 lbs)
Mrs SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:13 AM   #2  

Talking

Any number of reasons.

Water weight, gaining muscle mass, .... etc...

Tis' not unusual.

Ah, and when you lean over it shifts the weight. Causing pressure on the scale in one spot. It has to be balanced to be accurate.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:14 AM   #3  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I don't have an answer for you, but it happens to me all the time. I have a new set of scales now that measure weight, body fat and hydration. These seem to be the most accurate of the 3 sets of scales I have had. The old digital scales could read a 2lb difference with 3 consecutive readings at the same time of day. As in... I would get on, get off, get on, get off, get on, get off. Each time a different reading and sometimes quite a big difference. I think that it was because I just stood differently, but I never knew how to stand to get the correct reading. So I would just always weigh 3 times and average them out. It worked for me until I got the new scales and they measured me at almost 2lbs heavier. That was fine though. I just adjusted everything accordingly and I now go by that weight.

I'm not sure what the solution is to your problems, but that was my long-winded answer to let you know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #4  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

Yea....if you dont want to get on the scale...try a tape measure I did this in Dec. and forgot to do it till a few day ago...here is the out come
........Then-Now
Hips 58----47
Wist 50----41
Bust 60----48

This is all in inches
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I read somewhere recently that the living human body is an extremely difficult thing to weigh because we humans are "wiggly" things. Everytime we shift our weight, even slightly, the stress mechanisms in the scale tend to react. I think you were on the right track when you mentioned weighing three times and taking the average. Digital scales tend to be even more prone to the "wiggles" but at least they hold on to your weight for a few seconds after you get off which certainly makes it easier to read them.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It's the change in the weight that matters, not the EXACT number that's "true." If you always weigh in the same way at the same time, you can lessen the variation in what it says. If you're sticking with a food and exercise plan, over time you will see a difference. In a month, it will be more than 1 to 3 pounds, so the variation won't matter. See what I mean? Like in 6 months you could say, "I lost 18-20 pounds" and be telling the truth.

So whether you lean over or have your husband read it, just be sure you do it the same way each time.

Cheers!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote