Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #1  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

Default Anyone know anything about this?

OK. So I just started a brand new diet (must be the 3 millionth one I've tried...) on Friday, but I have already noticed a marked change in my weight, along with a change in my menstrual cycle... Does this sound normal to anyone? I mean, I realize that often with "rapid" weight loss or gain there stands a risk of interrupting your monthly cycle, but what exactly is "rapid"? I'm happy with the results of my diet so far, but I am very health conscious and I want to be safe...
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #2  
Something's gotta work

S/C/G: 246/244/160

Hi! Good luck with your new program. What are you trying?
The first bout of weight loss could be water weight. I know when I try a new plan that the first week is a great big loss because of water weight.
But a change in your cycle? I don't know if I've ever come across that. If it's far off from where it should be, then I may ask the program support about it.
christina_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #3  
Strong on the inside

Default thanks

It's actually a program that my doctor has prescribed. I take an appetite suppressant, an artillery of vitamins, injections, a very low calorie diet, and exercise. It's working very fast (9 pounds since Friday? although I need to verify those results by using his scale again...) It is starting to seem a little scary, honestly. I was due for this month's cycle around the 28th, and it arrived today.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #4  
mmmm.. ice cream

S/C/G: 238/135/125

i've seen a lot of people on this site who have experienced rapid weight loss at the beginning of their diet, and then slowed down after the first week or two. so i suppose that is fairly "normal." if your diet involves a healthy number of calories and nutrients and such, it might follow this pattern. but if your cycle doesn't return to normal soon, you might want to ask a doctor about it. i would say 9 pounds since friday is rapid.. wtg! good luck!
cadwell125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #5  
Strong on the inside

thanks cadwell. The first phase of this program was a "detox" phase, where I ate all I wanted of certain foods to help cleanse my liver, etc...so that might have something to do with it, too. Thanks for the well wishes. After trying so many diets in the past (and having them all eventually fail...), I am cautiously optimistic about my current effort. Like I said, I want to maintain my health and not go completely nuts about this, but I also want to look a lot different when the time rolls around for my brother's wedding (July 29). Thanks for the help and the support. I've been so inspired by everyone's success here!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

The only time I ever skipped a period in my life was the result of an ultra restrictive diet I was on in college. My period stopped, my hair fell out by the handfuls in the shower and I ended up binging uncontrollably after a month or so. I resumed my old eating habits and the weight came back on so quickly I was left with 3 permanent stretch marks on my belly.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:00 PM   #7  
Strong on the inside

Well, I haven't skipped a period, and I feel fine otherwise, it's just that my period came one week early...
Old 02-21-2006, 11:04 PM   #8  
Going to ONEderland

Dieting will change your periods. Sometimes it makes them heavier or lighter or come at different times. It is normal. Dieting changes your hormones which are simply just chemicals within your body that do different things. So unless it stops completely and weird things start happening, I wouldn't worry about it.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:49 AM   #9  

My period came a week early this month, blame me!!! I am sending my crazy hormones out into the world to wreck havoc!!!

I always have a fabulous loss in the first week or two, and then crawl my way through (until I give up - not this time though!!!)

Well done on getting this far, keep in touch!!! There is so much help and support here, it's amazing!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #10  
Strong on the inside

HA! That must be it! I expect everything to slow down a bit here in a couple of days, but I hope it won't slow down too much. I am enjoying my clothes fitting a little looser!
Old 02-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #11  

Hi!

Your diet sounds EXACTLY like my sister's! She has pcos and IR. Her cycle is serisouly messed up, as in she has TOM for the entire month at times. With PCOS it is my understanding that weightloss can effect the hormone balance.

I am sending her this link
MistySeptember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:49 PM   #12  

Default I think I am on the same program!

My sister was in reading posts today and saw your post about your program with your dr. It sounds very very similar to what my dr. is doing with me. Are the shots adenosine and lipo b? I do those once a week. I also take chromeate, phentermine, diucaps, omega threes, multi vitamin, and a water pill. I was one a few different suppresants througout. I've been on the diet since Aug 20th and in the first 2 months I lost 35 pounds. Through the holidays I gained some back but seem to be getting back on track now. If you want to chat about your program, feel free to email me at yahoo. User id is SumsDawn. I forget to check the boards here that often anymore so I might miss comments if you post them. Best of luck on your diet!!
Sums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #13  
Strong on the inside

what do PCOS and IR mean? Sorry for sounding thick, I am very new to this site.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #14  

I've meantto reply...sorry
PCOS is polycystic ovarian syndrome http://www.webmd.com/hw/womens_conditions/tw9104.asp
and Ir is insuline resistance http://www.webmd.com/search/search_r...n%20resistance

There are some web md links to give you an accurate definition I know the gist of what they are, but not an exact definition.

MistySeptember is offline   Reply With Quote