Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-21-2006, 12:48 AM   #1  

Default What was the eye-opener for you?

I am just curious what made you decide to lose the weight? was it something that happened or something that somebody said to you, or just because you want to feel better about yourself?
For me, it was last summer and a guy told me that he thought I was so fat (that still really hit me) I knew I was big but that really made me want to start to lose. I since then have saw the guy and he is shocked and hasnt said anything to me, but I know from other people telling me. He knows NOT to say anything to me, because I would come back with a smarta** comment. In the end, he did me a favour and it was the best thing that somebody said to me, made me really realize something had to be done. I have gone from 171 pounds to 127 pounds
almost there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I've been trying to lose weight since I was a young teenager, and at 19, I just got fed up with being fat. I was 350 pounds, and it was just ridiculous. I got a new job, and couldn't even find decent scrubs to wear to work...at least not the tops...I cried, but it was a real eye opener to me. I'm down 40 pounds in the last two months, and I'm not ABOUT to look back. I've got too far to go. I've never been a "normal" weight, and I probably never will be...but I really don't care if I am or not! I wanna be curvy and beautiful!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #3  
just call me skinny

For me it was seeing pictures of myself. I could not believe how big I was and was embarrassed of myself. Now I'm still not were I want to be but I'm 50# lighter and 5 sizes smaller.
Petra
petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:23 AM   #4  
LLV

My doctor. He told me my blood pressure and cholesterol were both high. That and I was having chest pains that would wake me up in the middle of the night. I knew I had to do something or I was a goner. I remember spending hours at my computer one night, writing a huge memo to my husband about important things, should I pass away. Where important papers were (my life insurance policy, our son's life insurance policy, etc.), how to do this, what to do about that, etc etc etc. That's how close I came to thinking I wasn't going to be around much longer. I felt bad every day. Tired, worn out, sick, run down. Plus I was just sick of ME. I was always holed up in the house, I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything because I hated what I looked like and didn't want to be seen. So it was a combination of all those things, but my doctor was my kick in my butt. So I vowed to eat healthier, stop eating fried and fatty foods. He wanted to put me on cholesterol-lowering drugs. Even wrote me a prescription. But after reading the horror stories about those things, I refused to take them and decided to try and get my cholesterol down on my own. My triglycerides were also very high, up over 800. So I vowed to do it myself through diet and exercise so I wouldn't have to take the pills. I was also on meds for my blood pressure.

The weight loss was sort of an added bonus, that wasn't my initial reason for changing my diet. But after I changed my diet, at my next doctor visit I had gone down 13 pounds. That was my incentive to keep going with it. I changed my eating habits completely and decided it would have to be a lifestyle change, so I made permanent changes I knew I could live with. And the weight just started coming off. Then I started counting calories. And it kept coming off. And here I am, almost to my goal weight
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:23 AM   #5  
LLV

Oops, forgot to add that my blood pressure and cholesterol are now normal WITHOUT meds of any kind, I don't need the BP meds anymore.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 199/178/135

Originally, I lost weight and maintained the loss hoping to become pregnant. Well, I never got pregnant and I regained the weight.

Most recently, it was the recurring rumour in the Chinese adoption community that China might start imposing a weight restriction on adoptive parents. (Some countries already have weight limits.) Now, I'm not near the limit that was being suggested, but it did get me thinking. The rumoured weight limit is all about health - ensuring the parents are healthy enough to care for the children and ensuring the children won't be raised in an environment that puts their health at risk.

This got me thinking. Are there things I control that would make me a healthier parent? Are there things I control that would provide a healthier environment for a child? My eating and physical activity habits rank high on the list.
Kim R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #7  
Cuban Cutie

S/C/G: 250/233.8/150

I really don't know WHEN it hit me - my mom died almost a year ago of a massive heart attack at the age of 58 - she was overweight but not obese - I, on the other hand, am morbidly obese.

People, doctors, etc all kept telling me to lose the weight - that my son (he's special needs) *NEEDS* me etc .. and yet the food really made me happy.

I was 180-ish when I met my DH in 2001. (fat but in great shape - if that makes any sense - I lived in NYC and was able to run up 2-3 flights of stairs and walk 6 blocks without being out of breath)
219-ish right after I gave birth to my son in 2003.
230-ish when my mom died in early 2005.
250 when I stepped on the scale 'just to see' 2 weeks ago.

Even the fact that I was 250 wasn't enough to make me want to lose weight, believe it or not - it was the fact that I decided to buy a treadmill and all of the ones I looked at had a weight limit of 250lbs.

I thought to myself - holy cow (no pun intended) - I'm ONE cheeseburger away from not being able to excersize.
Mrs SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Walking up to my second-floor dorm in college-- and being out of breath when I got to the top. That's just not good.
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #9  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

My husband, the kids and I visited my family in The States for Christmas. I've been living in England for 2 years now and that's when I gained. So when I found myself avoiding Christmas and New Year's party invitations from dear friends and dreading running into anyone I used to know, I knew it was time to lose the weight. And the kicker was when I saw the holiday photos of myself. That just sealed the deal!
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Mine was a combination of 3 things:

1. My mom was really serious about me coming to spend the holidays with her. She is one of those bona fide genetically skinny people and I know she loves me very much, but I don't think she understands how difficult it is for people to manage their weight. I hadn't seen her for 2 years and she hadn't seen me at my highest weight. I didn't want to go visit and have her look at me with love and pity and not talk about my weight for the entire visit.

2. I went to the bathroom at a movie theatre. When I sat down, I cut my outer thigh on a sharp edged metal trash receptacle. My thigh bled and I cried, because I realized that a normal sized person would have fit just fine. I was moving from "big girl" to "fat girl" and all I could envision was a lifetime of being too big for seats and asking for seat belt extenders on planes.

3. I read this book called Super Foods Rx: 14 Foods That Can Save Your Life. All of my grandparents had died relatively young - diabetes, cancer, heart disease, complications of alzheimers. The book was very exciting to me - the idea of using food to prevent serious diseases. I decided that day, holding the book in the aisle of Borders that I was going to change how I ate forever. My old failed diets - the restrictions, the binging, the gaining more weight than when I started, I realized everything I had done wrong and how I could really do it this time.

All it took, to lose weight, to keep it off for a year, was just a little more planning (shopping, lunch packing) and exercise.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #11  
35lbs gone by 5/14

S/C/G: 235/230/135

I've been saying for years that I needed to lose weight, but it hit home when my dh told me he was worried about my health and he wanted me to be around to see our son(who is 13) have children of his own. Ususally I shrug it off with yeah I know, I'm working on it, but this time I actually thought about what he was saying, and I decided that this time I would do something about it. The same week my blood test came back and the numbers were bad (290 cholesterol 9 HbA1c) and I realized I can't keep going like I am. I see the doctor tomorrow and now I can tell him that I am serious this time and show him what I am doing.

Terina
katielab'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:55 PM   #12  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

For me, it was a few things...

1. I went shopping with my mother, who had always been overweight. She had been using Weight Watchers to lose weight, however, and I finally found out that she wore a smaller size in clothes than I did. She was 50, I was 26.

2. During that same shopping trip (in fact in that same store) a man was waiting around for his wife to finish in the dressing room and he asked me "Are you having a boy or a girl?"

3. My baby brother's fiancee wants me to be her bridesmaid... and wear a slinky little red dress with spaghetti straps. in July.
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 286/160/145

In my final semester of grad school, I decided that, when I started my first professional job, I wanted to lose weight. No real reason other than vanity, I guess. I lost about 25 pounds in that one semester. Then when I got my job and moved to a new town, I started going to Curves. That's what motivated me to keep going.
bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:11 PM   #14  

I tried for 7 months to get preggo. I finally realized it was my weight becuase I have a 4 year old and had no problem with her at 130lbs
HollizleMyNizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #15  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

Originally, it was a picture taken at a friend's house. dropped 50 pounds in a little under a year. then I got divorced, got back together w/ my high school sweetheart, and we got pg. I managed to stay under 20 lbs gained during the pg, and got down to 165 after the baby was born. we were under alot of stress after the baby was born and I am now back up to 190. My beloved was a skinny, unhealthy for him 135 when he came home from AR in 2004, but has gained alot since then {eating regularly and not exercising does that to a person as I know all too well} and is now also at 190... we are done having babies {God's choice, not ours} and we would love to be around long enough to see the three we have {he counts my two from my first marriage as his} grow up. he is also in the National Guard, and could be deployed at any moment. I want him to be in shape and ready for that, and I want to be in shape so he can be proud to have my picture in his bunk like he was all those years ago in Basic...

so now I'm on an information hunt and a life change experience trek....
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote