Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #1  

Default I had an epiphany! Bordom makes me hungry.

I think most everyone eats when they are bored, but I've been noticing at work (where it's been slow) that all I think about is food. I was craving something to eat so I would have something to do. That is crazy! So, I am trying to figure out things I can do at work to occupy my time. This probably sounds like old news to most of you, but it was really a defining moment for me. I think once you realize something and truely look it in the eye, it's easier to fix or change your habits.....Sigh....ok, thanks for letting me use some of my bored time. :-)
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #2  
Fat-be-gone

Oh my gosh!! I am right there with you. I get bored at work a lot. I'm a receptionist, so I'm sure you know how that goes. And I eat, not because I'm craving or hungry, but because there is nothng else to do!!! So I eat a lot at work. The good thing is there are no vending machines so I can pretty much only eat what I bring from home. But you know what I do to pass the time and not eat? I come here and read threads or chat. The success stories and the people who have lost weight motivate me not to eat! I'm glad I'm not the only one who eats out of boredom!!!
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #3  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 225/215/200

Height: 5'5

i know what you mean! This site actually helps with the boredom...there's so many different threads on here, that i could spend hours looking at them and still have not seen everything! It's great!
leJellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #4  
Aleecia

I can so relate. Being at work when it is slow is the hardest for me right now. For most it is harder to be at home, but not for me. At home I constantly stay busy. Either cleaning house, doing laundry, cooking dinner or running after my 2 yr old. I'm lucky if I get a few minutes to use the bathroom by myself.
I have found that 3FC has been a huge help. I find that if I'm bored and considering going for a snack, I jump on here and start reading.
It's not easy, just keep working and working and working. You can do it.
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #5  
Melting Butter

Whenever I feel that way I usually chew on gum. It always helps me fight the feeling.
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #6  

I know...I am staring at an empty gum package. I do spend a lot of time here, so keep me entertained girls!
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:26 PM   #7  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Oh my God!! I'm chewing away popping bubbles right now. I think I'm additcted.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 151/128.5/115 5' 2"

I've tried chewing gum in the past but the darn stuff tends to make me even hungrier for some reason. I always try to keep a magazine or crossword around if I find I'm getting bored, not sure if you can get away with that at work though.

Carol
MrsMoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #9  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Oh yes, boredom is my big thing. If I keep myself busy I can go for hours without food. If I'm slightly bored, I'm craving something different every 10 minutes.

Chewing gum is helping short term, but I wonder whether it's helping long term in that my mouth is seeing it as a "reward" for feeling hungry because whenever I feel hungry I give it some flavour and something to chew, whereas what I really wish I could do is ignore it completely. Still, I'll stick with the gum in preference to chocolate!

I now spend a lot of time figuring out ways to stop myself getting bored like evening classes and going for long runs to get me away from sources of food!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:46 PM   #10  
Journey To The Thin Me

S/C/G: 252/234/140

Height: 5'4

You said it. Boredom gets me everytime. I don't have to be hungry. If don't keep myself busy, I find myself in the kitchen trying to find something to eat. Gum doesn't work for me. I find myself just being slightly satisfied.

I do tend to be more bored when I am at home where food is not that far away. I am temping at the H & R Block in town(they called me back for a few hours this week and next) and find that I might get hungry but I eat what I bring and have a set time to eat. At home I just go and get it and start eating it or I'll eat off of my daughter's plate if she is having something. I just hate it. I do find if I am playing a game on pogo or just puttering around on the computer that I totally lose track of the time and forget about eating. Before I know it, it's time to fix some dinner. If only there was a way not to get bored, that would be great.
AnnieFannie is offline   Reply With Quote