I'm so upset!!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am just ready to sit down and cry. I haven't lost a single pound in two weeks. I've read everything posted before about jump starting the loss again.... varying my calories by upping them, lowering them, everything. I'm just so frustrated. I admit I don't exercise at all, hate it. Is this what I'm going to have to do after all? I've done well so far, and I've not cheated on my diet even once..........no sugar, nothing fried, nothing with regular cheese.

I go to bed hungry (I don't eat after 6). I guess I just had to vent. It's so depressing, I feel like such a big blob and I'm going to be this way forever.

Sorry to be such a whiner today
  • I see how much you loathe exercise, but its VITAL. I suspect others will say the same thing. Incorporate it into your life somehow, some way.
  • honey, you have been doing something right so far to have lost 20 something pounds. Yes, you may have to do some excersize. it is good for the heart and lungs. get a cd player or walkman and go out for a nice stroll. I do a lot of thinking when i am out walking to make it more interesting. I think about what i am going to look like when i lose the weight, what i am going to wear when i lose the weight, how proud or jeoulous people will be of me when i lose the weight. I can really lose myself when i am out walking.

And i don't think 6 pm is a good cut off time from eating. I believe most people say 8pm. if you eat dinner at 6 pm that is great, but then you could cut up an apple or eat a bannana or even maybe a small bowl of low fat, high fiber cereal with skim milk before 8pm so you won't be so hungry going to bed and waking up in the morning. you can do this. I have been battleing the scale going up and down 3 pounds for a bout a month, but finally i am back at 181. now, if i can just get it to move down from there.

and i have decided my calorie intake was probably too low to start off with. I was starting at 1200 calories and i have decided to go up to about 1440. if i start at the bottom, where will i go when i do need to drop my calories to jumpstart my weight loss again????

keep your chin up. You CAN do this!!!
  • cinnamonspice, why don't you get yourself a pedometer? They're quite reasonably priced, and they can really change your attitude about "moving".
    When I first started wearing one, I was horrified to see that some days, I'd only walk 400-500 steps! Now I try to walk at least 5000 steps a day, and it's made such a difference. Wearing a pedometer makes me realize how little or how much I'm walking.
    It's a small thing, but it can make a huge difference.

Hang in there, hon. You've done so well, and I know you'll continue to do well!
  • Are you counting calories and recording what you eat? Make a food diary, I found it essential to record what I ate. You are doing something right, you've lose 20 lbs already but in my opinion there is only so far you can go by changing the way you eat. At some point you will need to exercise. Junebug is correct, exercise is vital. Not only will it help you lose weight, it makes you feel good, improves mood and makes you less tired. I didn't like exercising when I first started and even now, some days I really have to nag myself to get to the gym but it's worth it.

Oh and I don't buy into the "don't eat after Xpm" myth. Eating late is fine, it's what you eat that counts. I eat dinner most nights after 8pm because that is what time I get in after gym. I'm still losing weight.

You can do it, everyone has moments when they think they can't and that is what we are here for, to support each other through these times.
  • Cinnamon darling, you really will have to get past your attitude about exercise and just do it. Cutting calories alone will not be enough. That's why you're stuck - guaranteed. Start small. Go for a twenty minute walk three times a week.

I was an exercise loather as well. Then I started doing it and I get upset and feel down when I don't exercise. It becomes something you appreciate.
  • Yes, I do believe with all my heart you have to incorporate excersise.

Lower calories + excersise = weight loss

This does not mean you have to do some intense cardio. I recommend you go out for a walk. Perhaps you can have a buddy go with you to chat at a certain time daily as you stroll. Or invest in a tread mill and promise yourself to do it while you are watching T.V..

I know this is hard for you. I understand. I have a sister that doesn't like to do it either. But sweetie, listen to me please... Once you start doing it, you might enjoy it. I think you will be especially delighted and motivated by it if you happen to see the weight slide off faster than with just diet alone.

Also, think of the other benefits of excersise. It is good for your cardiovascular health, and it doesn'y just help with weight loss, it helps you tone and firm as well.

Don't feel like a whiner... ..... this is hard for you, but I know you can do it.
  • Cinnamon,

I too dislike exercise, but I must say I think it is essential. I just force myself to do it. As Bob from the Biggest Looser DVD would say - Just get up off the couch! Get in the game. Get up and get moving. Find something you like and just do it. Don't give up.
  • Quote: I am just ready to sit down and cry. I haven't lost a single pound in two weeks. I go to bed hungry (I don't eat after 6). I guess I just had to vent. It's so depressing, I feel like such a big blob and I'm going to be this way forever.
    (
    I lost 65 lbs without paying one bit of attention to the clock. I have a busy job and work late a lot - I had a big dinner after 9:00 at least 3 nights of the week. Didn't matter at all.

Interesting link for you to read:

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/118/112924.htm (I'd like to tell Oprah to SUCK it).

If you are HUNGRY and miserable, it sounds like you are setting yourself up for failure. I had a bunch of "rules" when I lost weight and one of the rules was "If I feel hungry, I am doing something wrong."

With the lack of weight loss for 2 weeks, I'm just going to give you some tough love - 2 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of weight loss. It is totally normal to not lose any weight for weeks at a time. When I look back over my weight loss chart, there were MANY weeks when the scale didn't move. Weight loss is a slow process and so many variables can affect the scale - time of month, drinking a big glass of water, sodium intake. I don't want to freak you out, but I had a plateau of TWELVE weeks at one point, I thought I was going to cry every week. I ended up losing 13 more lbs, but it took 7 months. I NEVER GAVE UP.

I sympathize with you on the exercise thing, I hate it too. But you know - I hate flossing, I hate paying taxes, I hate waiting in line at the DMV. I do all those things and exercise too.

Make some changes so your weight loss journey is more comfortable and stick it out.
  • oh, oh, oh, i just have to agree about excersize being a mood lifter. I have gone thru a very difficult time in my life this past 2 years. and for the first year, i was sooo very depressed about my life and all i did was go home and sit on my bed. I didn't really want to cook dinner, didn't want to sit down and watch tv with my kids, just wanted to go to bed as soon as possible. didn't care about the house how it looked. but then i got a gym memebership and i noticed after the first two weeks that my mood had improved. i started cleaning my house, i started cooking dinner more and enjoying being around my kids before their bedtime. i even started hanging out at my sister in laws and got her house cleaned up. but then as the holidays and the day light savings time came around, i skipped the gym, and i noticed that i didn't have as much energy and my dark cloud started to hang back over my head at home. now i am at the gym, and my oldest daughter has started helping cook dinner and we even sit at the table and say prayer before we eat. I feel more like cleaning when i am home. I just feel more uplifted when i am home now and i know it is because i am excerising. that in it self is really motivation for me to continue what i am doing. i suppose even if i don't lose another pound, i am getting a great mood lifter out of it.
  • Good for you lumifan . I had a rough past couple of years too and was depressed a lot. Since I started working out, my mood has definately improved and that dark cloud, it doesn't get to rain on my so often anymore.
  • CinnamonSpice,

Dear, you must exercise. The first 20 comes off without it, but the rest will not. I personally, hated exercise when I started, I despised sweating. But, trust me when you start exercising, and you don't go.....you are going to feel so incredibly guilty! You are going to feel so much better. I thought when I started that I was too heavy to exercise. Bull. I started slow on the treadmill just walking. When I started I could barely make a mile. You can do this! You have to do this, for you!!

As for eating later, it does not really matter that you eat later, it matters WHAT you eat later. Make sure you are eating healthy and it will not be a problem.

Keep with it girl, you can do this!
  • Thank you all so much. I know I need to exercise, but I am so busy and the thoughts of it makes me scream lol. But it is worth it. And you are so right Glory. I do plenty of other things I hate but have to do.

I feel a lot better already, you guys are all so sweet and caring. It makes this so much easier to know you all have felt this way too probably once or twice. I WILL do this. It will take time, but I'm dedicated, and if I have to exercise I will. I promise to go for at least a 30 minute walk this evening after work. That's a start however how small
  • Cinnamon, I'm right there with you on exercise. Hate it, hate it, hate it! Wish like anything that I didn't have to do it. I hate how I feel after (hot, sweaty, tired, stinky... where is that I-Feel-GREAT! feeling I was promised?). I'm sore the next day, too. Yuck!

I've tried so many things. Exercise DVDs, running (oh, the searing pain in the lungs!), joining a gym and working with a personal trainer (ewwwww the bathrooms are gross!), aerobic classes...

There is nothing anyone can say to tell me exercise is fun. Maybe for some people it is, but not for me. There are so many other things I'd rather do with the time.

All that being said, I decided to bite the bullet and just do it again this year. Why? Because, despite my extreme dislike of it, I realized it probably just HAS to be done ((sigh)). I started seriously a few weeks ago.

The key for me this time, I hope, is that I started REALLY slowly. You know how they say you should do a warm-up before exercising? Well, I looked at the whole month of January as a warm-up to exercising. Started out by just doing 5 minutes on the treadmill every other day. That's it. Done. Happy. I did *something*.

Every day I've added a bit more. Started lifting (started slowly, 10 little 3-pounder bicep curls maybe once or twice a day while sitting at my computer or watching TV). Added bands. Set up a TV and DvD player in front of the treadmill. Using my Ab-Lounger (actually, that one really IS kinda fun!).

And my son and I started playing ping pong. And that really IS fun (and quite the workout, trust me!).

Some people find DDR fun, too. I've played it at arcades and wow, you really do work (but it doesn't FEEL like work because it's so much fun). I'm thinking about getting the home version.

Anyway I'm now up to 30 minutes of lifting and 30 minutes on treadmill Monday through Friday. And we play ping pong almost every day. I'm really proud of myself. I plan on adding bits and pieces more (maybe increasing the incline on the treadmill one day or adding weights or reps to my lifting). Key is, I'm going to add SLOWLY. One more minute on treadmill. One more rep on lifting. One step at a time.

But I'm still going to hate it (except the ping pong)! :lol

You can do it, Cinnamon. I know you can! Hooray for Cinnamon!

(love your name, by the way!)
  • I understand your fustration. I just went through the same thing for 3 weeks. But, I had realized that during that time, I had lost a dress size even though the scale wasn't budging!

Just keep going forward, your doing a great job Cinnamon.