Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 257/164/140

Height: 5' 6

Thanks for all your advice! I have been really frustrated with this plateau! I will try some of these food suggestions! I will have to hit the grocery store tonight!
silversparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #17  

I had a three month plateau, three months of 209, it was really annoying!

I'm with Sheila, you need to eat more whole foods, and cut some of the processed food out of your diet. Also the suggestion to eat more protein is a good one, it really fills you up, and your muscles need it.

Often it's not a case of cutting calories, but getting your calories from better sources.

Just be prepared that it may take a few weeks for your plateau to break. It may be that you are not doing anything wrong, and your body is adjusting to the changes going on inside.

Finally, you really need to change your workouts every six weeks. This has really helped me.

I also was losing body fat when the scales weren't moving. I was mortified when I first had my body fat measured, I was 51% fat!!! Imagine!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:33 PM   #18  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

I'll chime in on the message from most everyone: change things up. Change the exercise (type, frequency, duration); change the food (type, amount). Yeah, I actually think in your shoes I would journal the food for a bit and see how many calories you ARE eating. It might be partly a food quality issue, but as well as alternating higher and lower calorie days, you might want to actually have some days where instead of eating a big deficit, you actually eat very close to your metabolic level. It's weird, I've had 2 weeks that I had to stop exercising for a medical reason and I have NOT been good about food, but I've continued to lose and I wonder if my body was just looking for a break from the same-old thing I've been feeding it. It is SO easy to get into ruts!!

Nicer weather is coming! Maybe you can find something to do outside now that uses your muscles in different ways? And would be more fun (don't ask me why, but I'm thinking "rollerblades" or a bike or even go down to a rink and go rollerskating or ice skating for an hour). I've always thought that Gary from the biggest loser has been successful long term so far because he incorporates physical activities (not necessarily STRUCTURED exercise like the gym or running) into his routine. I think this keeps the body second guessing and it sure as heck helps us from becoming terminally bored

I don't know what's happening with the tape measure, but you can do a little happy dance if you've lost TWO dress sizes--that's GREAT!
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote