Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #1  
LLV

Exclamation Well, I finally watched Super-Size Me

I'm sorry, but what that guy did was just plain stupid. Yes, I know he was trying to prove a point, but why practically kill yourself to do it? He ate McDonald's three times a day for 30 days. How many people actually do that? And if there are people who actually do that, they need slapped around a little bit.

There's also the woman that ate at McDonald's every day for I'm not sure how long and lost weight.

So these two 'experiments' just goes to show you that it's all about portion control, food choices and staying within your body's calorie range.

Oh, and to Morgan (I think that's what the guy's name was) ----

~slap~
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:59 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I love Super Size Me! I wouldn't eat it every day, but jees it makes you think about all the cr@p in food like that!

I haven't stepped into a fast food joint since!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:39 AM   #3  
LLV

I still occsionally roll into McDonald's, to get my son his very rare Happy Meal he's only allowed to have maybe once or twice a month. And I'd love to order my favorite meal that I used to get on a regular basis - a Big Mac, a 6-piece McNugget and fries. But... I end up with a salad or a grilled chicken sandwich, lol.

Naturally the chicken on my salads is grilled, not fried. I don't eat that fried crap anymore.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:40 AM   #4  
Running Wild

i saw an interview with that woman you are speaking of. i cant remember how long she did it either, but she mainly ate the fruit cups, salads, plain childs hamburgers and things like that.

i dont eat fast food. every once in a while i will get a craving for a Whataburger with cheese from Whataburger but thats like maybe 6 times a year.
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:49 AM   #5  
Crazy(ied) Mom?

My dh recorded it onto our dvr but haven't watched it yet. Maybe tonight we'll load it up and watch it...it sounds very interesting! Maybe his mom should watch it! she has diabetes...probably weighs about 300 lbs and eats McDonalds ALMOST EVERY DAY! If not EVERY DAY for breakfast!!! Her complaint? She has to eat something for her INSULIN SHOT!!! HELLO!!! maybe if you didn't eat McDonald's for breakfast everyday, you wouldn't need the INSULIN SHOT!!!! grrr...sorry, right now I just have issues with my husband and his whole family!
tearjerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #6  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

I watched it a few months back. It made me sick just watching it. He ate everything on the menu at least once. There is no way I could eat it everyday.
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

You might think that you could never eat it every day, but once you start, it's scary how easily you can get used to it. I very rarely ate fast food growing up, but last year, I had a long-distance relationship. I would drive about 4 hours each way almost every weekend. On the way up on Friday night, I would get a McDonald's meal (2 cheeseburgers, fries, and a regular soda). On the way back, I would get another meal for the car ride home (from either McDonald's or Wendy's). I did this because it was cheap and was easy to eat in the car, so it saved me time. We would often also have a fast-food meal at least once during the weekend, so I would have fast food 3 times a weekend.

I began craving fast food during the week. I would end up with fast food dinners once or twice during the week IN ADDITION to what I was having on the weekends. My meals grew larger until I could consume an entire Super-Sized meal (2 cheeseburgers, ss fries, and ss regular soda) PLUS a large milkshake all in one sitting.

I seriously think I became addicted. I started having Mcdonald's for breakfast a few times a week, too. It was absolutely insane I went from having fast food maybe once or twice a month to having it almost every single day (sometimes twice a day). It grows on you faster than you might think.

Now, I can barely stand the stuff. I have it once a month (if even that), and I can't have much more than a Happy Meal. I even sometimes completely skip the fries because I'm just "not in the mood." There was no weening myself off it...I had to quit cold turkey. Now I still get cravings sometimes, but since eating healthier on a daily basis has become part of my life, the grease and junk in that food can make me nauseous. Of course, that's how I used to be before, too...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #8  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

The DVD extras were the best on that. The McD's fries didn't change a bit after 6 months. Creepy.

I thought it was very disturbing that he ate the way he did. It was a pretty extreme 'experiment' since he ate so much he made himself vomit.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #9  

I saw it and loved it, but it grossed me out so much. Then I got pregnant and when I went thru the drivethru for my daughter, the smell was overpowering I would beg her to let her father get the food for her instead. It made me so nauseous. Now I can only eat a salad. I keep having flashbacks of Morgan puking.
chrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

I agree with Jillybean it is very addicting. I struggle with fast food myself. My husband and I usually go out once a week to In n Out and when I just do that I'm find. But as soon as I stop at McDonalds for lunch during week I just HAVE to have it again. A couple months ago it was really bad One time I counted 6 times a week. Now I'm averaging about 2. That was my New Year resolution, to cut back, since I had already started losing weight. Fried/fast foods have always been my problem. I'm not into sweet or rich foods, for me it's fried chicken, french fries, chicken sandwiches, etc. I've been doing better with my meal choices though. Instead of large or supersize sandwich with cheese I get the medium chicken nugget meal usually which is about 750 calories. I always count it in my fitday too.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #11  
Running Wild

***sigh*** In-N-Out...now THAT i miss. everytime i go back to Vegas (lived there for 7 years) or Cali to visit i must go there. but In-N-Out is nowhere near the "fast foodiness" of others in my opinion.

i have been meaning to watch this movie and will here in the next week or so...just to solidfy my stance on gross fast food.
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Yea, it doesn't get any better than In n Out
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #13  

I saw it and frankly I was annoyed. Here society once again puts all the blame on the "industry" and not our own selfish, stupid choices. I guarantee I could go to McDonalds every day and make healthy, good choices. In fact, there are now a lot more healthy choices at places like McDonalds and Wendys than there were in the 80s when I was a teen! I go to Wendy's a lot and I can make healthy choices. I can get an oriental chicken salad. I only put on less than half the dressing and none of the noodles. It's a great meal and very tasty. I can get a grilled chicken burger, diet soda, and side salad and it's delicious. The Chili has always been low fat and high fiber. There are plain baked pototoes, etc... At McDonalds I can get salads, chicken burgers, fruit cups, etc.... But it is up to ME to make good choices. The market drives the industry. If there weren't people willing to go and order 5 cheeseburgers, Supersize fries, and a 78 oz. drink they wouldn't sell them! Sure it's addicting. A lot of things are. It's up to US to break the addiction. I thought the choices that man made were utterly ridiculous. It was against his rules to even get a salad, wasn't it? Why? It's on the menu? That was disingenuous.

What I dislike about shows like that is that we don't need to hear that all those "bad" places make us eat bad and are "addictive". We need to hear that our own lack of self control makes us eat bad and NOBDODY but US can change that. It used to be that gluttony was frowned upon. We have now made it a "self esteem" issue to call it what it is. I call it what it is. Fat is fat and gluttony is gluttony. I got fat by being a glutton. There is no way aroiund it. I stuffed my face, didn't exersize made bad choices, and guess what? I KNEW the choices were bad. Sure I tried to justify (I have three kids, I can't get to the gym, I don't need to be a toothpick, healthy food is expensive). But truthfully the consequences just weren't bad enough until recently that I was willing to MAKE the change.

I would have no problem with that show if the purpose were only to show what bad choices can do. I have a problem with it being used as a weapon against McDonalds and others in the fast food industry because that takes the responsbility away from who it belongs to--ME.

Oops, long rant. Sorry. :-)

Old 01-24-2006, 12:58 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree that it's wrong to try to place blame on the fast food places, but I think the movie was still a good tool to show people how bad the stuff truly is. I honestly don't think fast food places SHOULD have healthier options--if you're trying to eat healthy, you'll make it yourself or go someplace else. I fell into the fast food trap because it was convenient for my extremely "on-the-go" lifestyle. I can't eat a salad in the car, but a burger and fries, on the other hand...

I also agree that how he went about his "experiment" was unnecessary. It's common sens that if you eat that stuff all day, every day, you will gain weight, increase your cholesterol, increase your blood pressure, etc. However, I also know a LOT of people who have not had fast food since watching that movie (or have at least cut way back). I can't say I understand that decision, but I guess for those who are less educated about fast food, it was an eye-opener.

Now, if you want to talk about annoying, let's talk about those people who sued McDonald's for making them fat...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #15  

My 14 yr. old son has watched 'SuperSize Me' many times and thankfully it has turned him off most fast food. It was quite and eye opener for us and a great education for him!
CaliBrit is offline   Reply With Quote