Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2006, 03:58 AM   #1  

Default I found a fun exercise !!! :)

Hi !! I'm new here, so maybe you've already talked about this, but if not here you go ! : )
I Have the greatest time doing DDR (Dance Dance Revolution). Its this totally cool game that you play on your X-box or Playstaition. You hook up this big flat squishy pad into your game console. It has 4 arrows on it and you stand on it and follow along to the steps in the game. Its so much fun, they put the steps to cool music, and before you know it you are stepping all over the place, and laughing, and sweating. There are lots of songs, and different combinations of steps, and difficulty levels. I don't get bored with it. Plus you can hook up four pads at a time and play with four people at a time. I've lost 30 lbs doing this as my main form of cardio (plus diet of course). I've got like 60 more lbs to loose, and this is how I'm going to do it. I got my best friend into it, and we do it together. Oh !! And don't think your too old becuase I got my Mom into it, and she's 53, and she loves it!! She does it with me a few times a week now. A lot of you parents probobly already own a game player of some sort for your kids, so why not get some use out of it for yourself!!! Ohh, and its for kids too, I don't have any, but how cool would that be to get your kid involved too. Its a game and its exercise, and I bet your kids could keep you motivated. Ok I'll stop babbling on, but I just really love it, and odds are you will too. And if you do get one, just so you know, it takes a few days, or a week to really get into the full swing of it (at least it did for me and my mom, we are clumsy and uncoordinated : ) ) Ok well good luck, and have some fun for goodness sake !!
P.S. I'm not a salesman I just really like it : )
lindystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #2  

I don't use DDR myself, but I do know tha several people here do use it and like it. There was recently a thread about it exercise forum titles DDR or something like that. It seems like a good way to burn those calories if you're coordinated enough to do it.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:31 PM   #3  

I got my 3 kids Bella Dancerella Pop Star and Ballet for Christmas and now they won't stop dancing! I bet if they loved those games they would really like this one too! Thanks for the info, I will check it out.
racegirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:38 PM   #4  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

LoL! I was going to post about this...Hehe...

We just bought a new pad. Our old one died (it was a cheapo Beat Bad and the sensors ripped out). I'm going to go play once I know the bebe is asleep.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 120

Height: 5'2"

I support using DDR for exercise fully.
I've been playing it for 4 years, since before I even realized it WAS exercise.. I've done tournaments (and won) but now I can use it for exercise too which is awesome.. I have two metal pads so that it's just like the arcade but.. that's not really necessary.
Keep at it ^-^
peccavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:59 AM   #6  

i've heard other people talking about it too and it does sound like fun but i think any dancing is fun. just turn on the stereo and dance!!!

having said all that i have seen very similar posts spammed to various diet boards (not saying this one is spam but there does appear to be an effective guerilla marketing campaign for it.

dancing has got to be the BEST exercise lol
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:47 PM   #7  

My boys just got an Xbox for Christmas and I have seen the DDR in passing at the store but I never thought of it as something for all ages to enjoy and play. This is definitely a plus and a good idea for me to get one so that I can dance even more around the house! I know the kids will get a kick out of this too! Thanks for the information.
dsho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #8  

Sweet_Pea, No I am not a spammer, I love this game, and really wanted to share it with the people here. It really keeps me going and I know that other people will love it too. I'm new here and I didn't know that it has been covered, I'm just trying to share. But hey, your right about the dancing around the house, that can be fun. I'm just the type of person that needs a little more structure.

Dsho71, your welcome!! I hope you like it. I do it with my neice, she's 11 and she does like it. It takes a little while to get into the swing of it, but once you do you won't want to stop. I've done a total of 5 hrs of it in the last 4 days. I get too bored with other stuff !! : ) Good luck to you, and your kids !!

Last edited by lindystar; 01-16-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:15 PM   #9  
The Me I Wanna Be !

S/C/G: 212/200/180

Height: 5'2

i have this... i got it specificly as a way to lose weight and have fun doing it.. let me tell ya even on the beginers game mode it kicks my fat @$$

i havnt done it in months tho... i really cant anymore... i have too many people in the house especialy with my 11month old and his toys that take over the place, i cant do it in the evenings because i am heavy footed and the thumping would wake everyone up and i already get up at 6am to leave the house by 7 so early morning dont work for me either... yeah i need my own place

but its great cardio you can really work up a sweat doing it...

i have the regular squishy pad tho and mine moves on me, between each song i have to reposition it... do you have that problem with yours?
Tayja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:31 PM   #10  

Tayja, Oh Yes, my dance mat does move around some when I get to really jumping around, but my mom told me to put some of that rug-stay-put rubber stuff on the bottom. You know that stuff its like a really thin white rubber criss cross mat. I'm not good at explaing things sorry. But anyways I just taped some to the bottom and now I stay put.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't got to do it in a while. I guess I wouldn't want to wake up my baby either (if I had one) I always start out trying to be really light footed myself, but after like 5 minutes, when I start to really concentrate, my neighbors probobly think I have a baby elephant in the house. Thank goodness I have the squishy pad !

Anyways, good luck to you, I hope you can get back into it sometime. Hey and good luck with your 21 day challege !!! Lindystar
Old 01-18-2006, 01:36 AM   #11  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

The Ignition 3.0 is really good at staying put. My hubby can move it on a 10 foot Heavy song, but I generally keep it pretty stationary. It's also not as slippery as the beat pads. If you have a game room, splurge and buy a hard pad. Those are so awesome...
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #12  

where can you purchase this game??
nenebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:09 PM   #13  

I have a friend who lost 40 pounds doing DDR! And he totally impresses us at parties, too!

Ann
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #14  

lindystar - hey you're sweet! glad you're joining us here. i apologise if i offended you

the other interesting thing about dancing is that kirstey alley reckons its her secret weight loss weapon. i also know here when they did that Dancing with the Stars competition the winner who was a big beefy All Black lost 13kg (2 stone) during the competition from all the exercise. so dancing really does work.

its funny i can walk for 20 mins and feel tired but i can dance for an hour LOL. it gets the adrenalin going
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #15  
The Me I Wanna Be !

S/C/G: 212/200/180

Height: 5'2

nene, you can get it most game stores... some walmarts targets toys r us and kb toys have it... but deffinatly places like Game stop, Rino and Electronic Boutique have it... mine came from game stop i think it was... but i have seen them in all of those places

and there are like two or 3 versions of the game out now... i have ddr max 2 for my playstation2

theres no way i could use the harder arcade style pads... but what i would really like (like i actualy get a chance to use it lol ) is a bigger pad... do they make bigger ones?? the arrows are too close together on mine... if that makes since... when i try to hit the aarows i over step and end up on the outside edges of them and the sensors dont pick up my moves

be for XH left we used to play it together (he enjoyed it more then i did he was freaking competitive with it) but cuase i sucked at hitting the arrows, i would let him use the pad and do the moves with him but just on the floor, so i didnt have to worry about missing aarows and losing my turn
Tayja is offline   Reply With Quote