Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-11-2006, 10:58 PM   #1  

Default So I took all of your advice.....

and went back to the DR. I explained how hungry I was and even with meds 900 calories was not enough and I was just setting myself up for some mega binging!
We decided that Atkins type plan might be good. I just am not going to gorge myself on bacon and fat. I am going to still keep tabs on my calories, but eat until I am satisfied.......not stuffed.
He does not want me to just take the easy road and eat all that food and go off the diet and gain it back because I have not learned portion control.
Have any of you had success with Atkins?
If you guys are like me, you have probably tried everything
what about ongoing success?
Any ideas/tricks/snack suggestions would be GREAT!
Thank you all so much!
Jen
noniesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:39 AM   #2  

Hi, I missed your "Help" thread, so I have just read it. And also dug around to find out how much you weigh. Really, we need a bit more background on you!!! Why is your MD wanting you to lose weight, is there a medical condition involved that requires you to lose it quickly? At your weight (and I don't want to type it here, you can if you want but you posted it in another thread) 900 calories was far too low, way too low. I started at 267 and I never go below 1200, and am usually much higher, I do exercise for at least an hour a day though.

I wonder why he chose Atkins?? Is there are reason?? MD's can be fabulous but they are not necessarily nutritionists or dietitians. If it were me, I would be asking either for a second opinion or a referral to a nutritionist. Low carb can work for some people, I've not ever tried it, just doesn't appeal to me. I know for some people it works wonders and they love it.

In my opinion, you need to develop a healthy eating plan you can live with for the rest of your life. It needs to involve some of your favourite foods in moderation. You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight, in fact you need to fuel your body and use that fuel appropriately.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
I wonder why he chose Atkins?? Is there are reason?? MD's can be fabulous but they are not necessarily nutritionists or dietitians. If it were me, I would be asking either for a second opinion or a referral to a nutritionist. Low carb can work for some people, I've not ever tried it, just doesn't appeal to me. I know for some people it works wonders and they love it.

In my opinion, you need to develop a healthy eating plan you can live with for the rest of your life. It needs to involve some of your favourite foods in moderation. You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight, in fact you need to fuel your body and use that fuel appropriately.
I agree with Kylie (as usual)--is it a regular doctor or one who actually specializes in weight loss? A lot of doctors today are not really very well-informed when it comes to weight loss. A dietician or nutritionist might have better suggestions.

Personally, I can't live without some bread, cereal, oatmeal, pizza, pasta, and fruit now and then, so Atkin's was never an option. It has worked great for LOTS of people, though, so I have no doubt it can work if you can stick to it. I think the only real problem would be if you feel deprived, just like on any diet plan, because that can cause binging on the foods that aren't allowed on the plan. I'm also glad to read your comment about not gorging yourself on bacon and fat I think a lot of people did Atkin's and ended up thinner but with much higher blood pressure and cholesterol

If you think low-carb will work for you, have you checked out the South Beach plan at all? It is pretty much the same as Atkin's for Phase 1, but that only 2 weeks. After that, you begin incorporating fruits and certain whole grains back into your diet, so you might not feel so deprived. I did it once (couldn't stick to it due to my lifestyle), and it worked when I could stay on-plan.

There are forums here you can check for more advice, suggestions, and recipes:
Atkins and Other Low Carb
South Beach Diet
Sugar Busters (this is a low-glycemic plan rather than low-carb, so it is less restrictive but still basically cuts out the "bad" carbs)
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

heh, to confuse even further, someone asked a carb question here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71942
You might want to check it out
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #5  
LLV

Okay, I'm going to join in with you all and ask her one more time. If she doesn't answer, it's possible she's overlooking the question or she just doesn't want to tell us, which is okay. But if we know her weight, we could give her MUCH better advice...

So noniesmom, how much do you weigh? And how tall are you? Knowing at least these two things will help US to help YOU.

And no, I wouldn't do Atkins, but that's just my personal opinion. Restricting one certain food group is NOT a good idea. Eating very low carb is an unrealistic plan to stick with for the rest of your life. You may lose a few pounds on Atkins, but you'll gain it right back as soon as you start eating normally again. That and you're not teaching yourself good food habits that you need to develop to last a lifetime.

Again, this is just my opinion. Atkins, along with other diets, in most cases, anyway, sets the dieter up for failure. I'm not saying NO one can succeed on Atkins, many people do. But many of those people also admit to gaining back what they lost.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:01 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hmmm, to lose weight on Atkins is one thing, but to keep it off is quite another. Do you want to live on bacon and hunks of steak forever? Never eat a doughnut again? How about never eating fresh bread straight out of the oven?

You see, Atkins may be all very well for losing weight, but to keep it off you have to stick to it. Plenty of people who have lost a lot of weight on Atkins have regained it and more since they couldn't stick to the plan for the rest of their life. I'm not speaking from experience here, I cried over a South Beach diet book since I knew I'd never be able to do it!

The best and safest and healthiest and most successful "diet" is lifestyle changes that you can stick with. 900kcals is too low for anyone! I was put on a diet at age 7 and I was allowed 1000kcals - at age 7!

There really is no quick fix, no easy way, no magic diet pill that will melt off stubborn fat! Search for the thread "My Big Weight Loss Secret" and you'll hear what the weight loss experts say!

Oi LLV you beat me to it! I must've been writing too long!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
I think the only real problem would be if you feel deprived, just like on any diet plan, because that can cause binging on the foods that aren't allowed on the plan.
Exactly.

Deprivation isn't a good idea. Because, and I'm sure most of you will agree, the foods you want the most are the ones you're not supposed to have.

I don't really 'crave' anything (except the occasional piece of fried fish, lol) because I don't deprive myself. If I want something, I eat it. I just count it in with my calories and move on. And because I occasionally allow myself certain foods (that I wouldn't normally eat on a daily basis) I don't feel deprived, therefore I don't end up breaking into a KFC and diving into the baskets of fried chicken, lol.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:31 AM   #8  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

I dont understand why a doctor would indorse that kind of eating plan.
The best food you can eat comes from the food pyramid and getting in daily exersise. Thats the low down of it. There is no one kind of food that helps is many diffrent foods and alot of us have not had them to often if either because of the cheap cost of bad food or we were just not educated enough in nutrition. Or just was not introduced to the kinds of foods that we should be eating.
Its not a mind bender on what we need to do to lose the weight.
Its a matter of us just doing it. No matter how much we talk if were not doing it its not going to happen.
I know I need to hit that gym daily !!! I mean daily. But when I dont sleep when I should and miss going to the gym because I was sitting up watching a tv program that I should not have. Its all my fault. Its because I chose something wrong over something right.
When we become honest with ourselves we stop letting it happen.
changes will occur.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:07 AM   #9  
Losing for Life!

Jen,

You are getting some great advice here, but we really don't know enough about you, as other have said there are questions you haven't answered

1) Why, does your DR. want you on such a restrictive diet?

2) Do you have any medical conditions that could affect your weight loss

3) Do you have a medical condition that requires your weight loss to happen quickly?

4) Have you been on other diets before? Have you succeeded at weight loss on any of them?

My doctor recommends a simple low fat, small portion, limited calorie plan which all Doctors seem to have in their office. She also loves WW for her overweight patients because it so closely follows the normal weight loss guidlines for healthy nutrition. She also suggests as Kykeree does that I could sit down with a Nutritionist to get a plan in place that will work just for me.

Your Medical plan may cover the cost of a nutritionist if your weight is affecting your health.

So Many questions unanswered

Non of us are Doctors, but we do speak from experience as we have all been on weight loss programs before and we know what really does work and what usually does not.
Sheri~C is offline   Reply With Quote