Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #1  
PrestonsMama

S/C/G: 253/180/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Can it hurt..

Can it hurt me to go to the gym every day? I joined a gym two weeks ago and I am loving it! The first week I went 3 times out of 7 days and the days I didn't go, I really missed it and wanted to go (things didn't work out with Dr. appointments & such). This week, I have gone twice already and aiming to go again tomorrow. So far what I've been doing is a 5-10 min stretch, 20-30 min on the elliptical for my cardio burning about 200-350 calories, and then picking a body part for the day to work out (I'd especially like to rid of pp belly and hips) lifting weights. I dont do the same weights each day (one day arms, one day chest, etc.) Afterward I get in the whirlpool for 10 min to relax and then I go get Preston from the daycare. Altogether it takes me about an hour to an 1 1/2 hrs. My husband is concerned that I may over do it. But I don't think I am. I really like what I am doing and I don't hurt -- I'm a little sore depending on what area I focused on for the day, but more refreshed and energized than anything. I was just thinking that if I don't have any reason NOT to go, then why not? What do you think?
PrestonsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #2  

I really urge you to post this in the exercise forum section http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34
I can only tell you what I do. I go six days a week. My trainers (I have two gyms, one at work and one near home) both recommend one rest day. Mine is usually a Saturday.

I do weights/toning one day and then cardio the next (naturally there is cardio on weight day too to warm up and to keep the heart rate up) I tend to do whole body weights, as when I did one day legs, one day arms etc it didn't work for me, I was gaining inches in one area and losing in another. You need to change up your routine every 6 weeks with weight training, or you will seriously plateau and get discouraged (ask me how I know)

I'm no trainer, but I think at your weight (and it is the same as mine give or take) you would benefit from upping your cardio. Muscle is great, but cardio is what burns the fat. Also bear in mind that the cardio machines calorie burn is rarely accurate and usually overstated, if you don't already, try logging your exercise in Fitday or equivalent.

Hope this helps!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #3  
iwillmakeit

S/C/G: 205/173/110

Height: 5'4

I've been working out 7 days a week, and its lasts about 1-1 1/2 hr for me. I know it suggests that you rest your body for at least one day if not 2. But this is so far what I've done, and I love working out too. I've been sick for the past couple of days and missed my workouts yesterday, and feeling very guilty. I am not 100% today, but I am thinking about going there later tonight. I am sure there are lots of people who knows about it better than me, but just thought to share what I do.
tsots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #4  
PrestonsMama

Thanks for the great advice! I will try to up my cardio, I did start out at 15, then to 20 and now at 30, so I will be upping it to 40 next week. I'd like to get up to an hour within the next few weeks.

tsots- I know what you mean about feeling guilty for not going. I have surgery scheduled for January 21st and I need to rest for about a week and then I can get back on track -- just oral surgery to remove a few teeth so I can have braces put on next month, but the Dr. told me to relax for a few days since I'm going to be heavily medicated. Anyway, I'm a little worried that those 5-7 days I'm down are going to put a damper on my working out and I'll end up not going back or something.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #5  

Put your going back date in your diary like an appointment. Even if you can only do 10 minutes, and work up gradually (depending what your surgery is!)

Guys your body needs a rest day, it's the surefire way to prevent over exercising (yes there is such a thing), fatigue and injury. And it actually maximises your weight loss! Give your body a rest and it is still increasing your metabolism and is a powerful tool in your plan.

On a rest day I am still active, I'll walk or swim gently, but I won't work out as such. My plan is never to have a completely sedentary day.

Well done on sticking with your plans! Exercise has really made a difference to all parts of my life, I used to dread it, and now I struggle to keep myself away!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #6  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

I exercise six days a week, alternating between cardio and resistance training. But I certainly don't think it would hurt for you to exercise more. You're right, if you want to do it then I say, go for it.

On another note, I just have to say that your little Preston is the most precious baby. You must just nibble on those cheeks every chance you get.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #7  
PrestonsMama

Tracey - Thanks! I think Preston is a doll too! I give him so many kisses now I can't count -- I just think about the day when he will not want his mommy kissing his cute cheeks anymore and I make sure he gets plenty now! LOL!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #8  

In my experience, as long as you are not weight training the same body part on back-to-back days, you should be fine.
racegirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote