Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #1  
banned

Default carbs, protein, fat

Hi everyone. I was just wondering about a question I have. I know that really all that matters in weight loss is calories in and calories out. But I know that there has to be some correlation between how many grams of carbs, protein, and fat you eat each day and weight loss. I log everything I eat in FitDay, and am usually around 1200 calories. However....how many grams of carbs, fat, and protein should I be eating to help with weight loss?

Note: I do NOT want to do a low-carb diet either. There's no way I'm gonna cut my carbs drastically. Just want to know maximum of each I should aim for, or minimum or whatever. Make sense? LOL.

And my stats are: 5'2", 20 years old, about medium frame, 144 pounds. I have those stupid love handles, and they're hideous...they make my body look deformed.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Danzer5570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #2  

Most people shoot for percentages of intake rather than grams of this or that. In that way if you have to change your calories you can still understand what proportions you need, and it's easy since fitday calculates those for you.

I shoot for 50-55% carbohydrate, 20-25% fat, 20-25% protein.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #3  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

100+ grams of protein a day has made a world of difference for me. Protein takes longer to metabolize than any other nutrient, so it keeps you satisified longer. It also helps you maintain muscle mass while losing fat. My trainer wants me to aim for 120 - 140 grams a day, but I have a hard time doing that. I usually land somewhere near 100 grams. I make sure every meal I have is protein based and that at least half of my snacks during the day are protein (shakes, low-fat cheese, cottage cheese, etc.)
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #4  
Mel

You'll get a different answer from everyone one this forum I don't consider my diet to be low carb since I eat a staggering amount of oatmeal and vegetables, but my ratios are 45% P/ 35% C/ 20% F . I do a lot of heavy weightlifting and want to build and keep as much muscle as possible.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote