Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #1  
Under construction

Height: 5'3"

Default Do you ever feel narcissistic?

I keep looking at photos of myself and glancing in the mirror, marveling. My current size is the smallest I've been in my adult life, so this is all new territory for me. I'm really sort of afraid I'm going to become too vain, but...it's so strange to look at myself and be able to see the thin person coming out.

I feel a little embarrassed, and a lot confused. I'm not the kind of person who likes mirrors.
tipsygypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Congratulations on your excellent weight loss!!

You're not alone! I've always hated mirrors, but now I really enjoy glancing at them. I'm not even afraid to look at myself naked in the mirror in the morning. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have noticed by "two-pack," which was pretty exciting.

I don't think it's vain. I think it's pretty darn healthy and self-esteem boosting.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #3  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

I have not experienced what you talking about, but I certainly hope to soon. It sounds like you are loving yourself for who you are on the outside, and hopefully also on the inside. I would think this is a great thing. If you start thinking you are now somehow better than other people, then that might be leading to vanity, but if you are just proud of who you are, well that sounds fantastic.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #4  

I've never had the occasion to feel that way but I sure hope to by this time next year! You go girl!
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #5  

I'm with Sheila! I don't think of it as vanity - I'm just appreciating all of the work I've done. I like how I look for the first time in a loooong time and I intend to enjoy it. I spent years thinking I was fat (even though I wasn't), and then years of actually being fat and feeling even worse. I'm proud that I finally like what I see in the mirror so I'm going to keep on looking!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #6  

Keep looking - we all deserve more self-love. I myself am fascinated by my collarbones (I wasn't sure I had any!)
luey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #7  
LLV

I still hate mirrors. Although I've always been told what a "beautiful girl" I am, I've just never thought so. And when I was heavy, I couldn't even stomach looking at myself. Yes, I've lost a lot of weight and it's nice to catch a glimpse of myself now, especially from the side, and enjoy how much thinner I look. But I hate my face, I always have. And now that I've lost my "wrinkle-smoothing" fat, I think I look old
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #8  
LLV

Of course my husband tells me I'm crazy, but what does he know, he's biased. He told me I was beautiful even when I was fat, for crying out loud, lol.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #9  

It sounds more like shock and disbelief than narcissism

I remember standing in front of the mirror brushing my hair when I caught sight of my new biceps, and it was like "What the....When did THAT happen?"
racegirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #10  
Under construction

Racegirl, that exact same thing happened to me, only with collarbones instead of biceps. It looks like hairbrushing is the time for self-discovery, lol.
tipsygypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 240/236/150

Height: 5' 6"

I think Racegirl is right. It happened to me when I bought some new clothes that actually fit. I was trying them on, looking the the mirror thinking "Damn, who is this?" I don't think you'll become vain. It's new territory for you and soon you be used to how great you look!
Wisertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #12  
banned

It happened one morning when I was shaving my legs in the shower and actually felt A CALF MUSCLE for the first time. For a moment, I actually thought my leg was swollen or something, but then I thought, "Wait, this cannot be swollen!"

There was also the other day when I had to get new underthings. I bought a size smaller than I normally wore for the longest time, thinking it would be an incentive. One morning, I tried on one of the new pairs for the heck of it and...

THEY FIT!!!!!

I think it's more appreciating our hard work than narcissism. Enjoy your victory!
LAnneCarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:36 AM   #13  

Height: 5"4

That's just called being proud of yourself. And you should be! Ha wait until I loose all of my weight, why I KNOW I'll be the poo!!!

totally joking here, but really just be proud of yourself, we all are proud of ya.
cinnamonspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 268(2003) 186/182/146

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsygypsy
I keep looking at photos of myself and glancing in the mirror, marveling. My current size is the smallest I've been in my adult life, so this is all new territory for me. I'm really sort of afraid I'm going to become too vain,
You could have stole those thoughts out of my head!! I feel EXACTLY the same way. Good for you on your weight loss!

PS I'm with all of you on the collar bone thing. I'm still amazed when I look in the mirror and there they are. My hip bones are starting to emerge as well. Who knew I had bones there??!!??
getncontrol is offline   Reply With Quote