Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-05-2006, 01:12 AM   #1  
Just Keep Swimming

S/C/G: 276/276/115

Unhappy I dont know if I can do this!

Im trying really hard to stay on my diet... But I am hungry so much... .. I dont know what to do. I fear ill Just fail and forget about this whole thing like Ive done so many times before. *sighs* I dont know what to do
Thehopefulcry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:31 AM   #2  

Hang in there. You can make it! What kind of diet are you doing? You know your body really could be hungry if you are restricting calories and working out a lot. Please don't give up. I'm sure we can figure something out .
honey-dipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

I don't know about your metabolic needs or how much you are eating, but I now realize I was starving myself with my previous weight loss attempts. The gym I go to uses something called "BodyGem" to check your resting metabolic rate. There are various calculators on the web -- using one of those, it said I needed 2100 calories/day just to maintain my body weight at rest (when I started this journey). The BodyGem came up with 2400 calories/day. I ended up setting a calorie goal for myself of 2200 calories/day. (I also exercise regularly -- I'm now up to 3x/week of strength training and 4x/week of aerobics). For the past 4 months, I haven't been starving and I have been losing weight. It gives me hope that I really can do this -- that I can get to my goal.

Like I said, I don't know your situation. But, I no longer think a person has to be hungry all the time to lose weight. I hope that this information is helpful to you -- I hope you're able to find something that works for you.
elmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:42 AM   #4  

Are you in the 100lb club? If not get thee over there! There are lots of us with heaps of weight to lose. I was around your starting weight this time last year now I'm 201lbs. I felt like you too. The first six weeks were horrible, I hated to exercise, I felt tired and fed up, and then click something went off in my head, and it all became a bit easier. There are days when it's hard but other days when it's a joy.

The thing is, you can't go on a diet. There is never going to be an end to this for you (or me or anyone of us). You need to find a healthy way of eating and living that will sustain you f.o.r.e.v.e.r. coz honey there ain't no way you are going to work your butt off to lose 100lbs or more only to gain it back again.

And make sure you have set realistic time scales. I sat down (in tears mind you) once I found out just how heavy I was and worked out that I felt I could lose 50lbs the first year (I lost 61) and 50lbs the second. Then get the last little bit off in year three. If I lose it quicker hallelujah, if I don't, that's ok too.

I say this all the time, but losing a load of weight is a lot easier if you do this from a position of strength and positivity. If you allow yourself to think negative, losing weight is like pushing horsey poo up hill. If you do this because you like yourself enough to do it, and because you want to be the best you you can be, it's a lot easier.

One thing I do is every morning I stand in front of the mirror naked and really look at myself, This was really hard at 262lbs. But I felt I really needed to connect with where I was at. And as my body has changed, it's been quite exciting to really look and get to grips with the good things I have done.

Support is here, we've all been in your shoes, and it might be me that needs your help in a week or a month or whatever.

Hang in there chicken!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #5  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

I'm wondering if you are eating too little. You shouldn't be hungry all of the time or else you will not stick with this. Do you eat small meals throughout the day? What do your meals consist of??
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 184/C/145

I feel hungry all the time too when i am dieting but i believe its the mind over body thingy...i think i become hungry because I know I can't have anything else. Sometimes I find if I drink water it helps, or I just go for a walk and try to forget about it.

Jenn
jenn_mullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #7  

I agree that you don't have to be hungry all of the time. Granted, the couple of weeks are and adjustment even if you are eating at the higher end of your calorie spectrum. Still, those hunger pangs should fade as you get used to eating less.

I agree with the advice already given butI will add this. Consider, too, that once we've been overweight for a significant amount of time we tend to lose touch with our bodies' signals. I realize now that I used to think I was hungry if I wasn't full. If I was less than full, I thought I was starved. And, of course, there was head hunger when I was perfectly content but want to keep eating because the food tasted good and I want immediate satisfaction. It takes a lot of attention and a little time but I do think it is important to our success to reaquaint ourselves with what constitutes REAL hunger and learn to recognize when we are satisfied (but NOT full).
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #8  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I also agree that you don't need to be hungry all the time when losing weight. I snack A LOT...and I'm talking 5 - 6 snacks a day. That way, I'm never hungry and I don't overeat at mealtime. Protein is also a great way to keep yourself satisfied longer. Try some snacks like cottage cheese, low-fat string cheese, or a protein shake. That may help.

Hang in there! You CAN do this!!
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #9  

The feeling insatiably hungry bit about dieting has to be the worst! But to echo what many others have said, it helps to eat often! Eat too little and your body will just hang on to every pound its got! You will be amazed at how it does get easier; you just have to hang in there and soon you will find your cravings go down and your willpower goes up! Hang in there! You can do this and we are all here to help you!

annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #10  
Just Keep Swimming

S/C/G: 276/276/115

Thanks you Guys. I dont know how much Im supposed to be taking in, I am trying to stick too 1,000 (thats what my mom told me....) But some days (more often than not) Im at like 1,200, or 1,500. I eat veggies fruit whole grain toast... those things... I dont know, maybe its just bored hunger... And I think Ill go over and Join the 100 culb thingie too... I dont know.. Im depressed by nature and Im sure thats whats making me think Ill fail...
~Heather~
Thehopefulcry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:18 PM   #11  
playin' for keeps

Aack! Good grief, girl! 1000 calories a day isn't enough to keep you sane, let alone satisfied. No wonder you're hungry all the time.

Try adding some more healthy food (lean protein, like Kate suggested would go a long way to helping fill you up) to your diet . I'm not sure what you weigh, but you should lose weight just fine on about 1800 calories a day... especially if you're getting any exercise at all

And remember, slipping up happens. To everyone. It doesn't mean you're done. It just means it's time to get back on track.

Hang in there - sticking to it is the most important part!

cheers!
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #12  

1000 calories sounds way too low. I think the minimum reccomended is 1200 calories. I don't think it's boredom that's making you feel hungry. There are plenty of people who take in 2000 calories a day and lose weight and combine exercise. My doctor also told me that if one's body starts to think it's starving, then it will hold onto everything it can and that one could end up gaining weight. Snacking throughout the day will keep your metabolism moving and you won't feel so hungry. Starving yourself is not a good lifestyle change. You need to stay healthy!

Maybe you should go over to the board for depression also. I have been diagnosed with bipolar II and I know how tough it can be. Talking things out and even exercise can help get rid of some of the symptoms. That being said, there were different times in my life when I felt like I simply had no energy and I really couldn't function without the help of some type of medication. Maybe that is something you should look into also, if you haven't already. Take care and hang in there.
honey-dipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #13  

Oh, 1000 is too low! At 275 pounds you should be able to lose weight on significantly more than that, especially if you are already exercising. If I were you I'd eat in the 2000-2200 calorie range for a week and see how that goes. From their you can adjust you intake downard if needed. Weight loss truly is a game of trial and error - so you need to play around a bit and see what works for you. But, my goodness, don't starve yourself if you don't have to!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

A fitday.com account might help you. Even if you enter bedridden as an activity level, at your weight, you'll need more than 1000 cals just to run your bodily functions.
And I agree that you need not be hungry. Add a little protein to every snack and meal. That'll help you stay fuller feeling longer.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I agree with all these folks. At 1000 cals you could be doing yourself more harm than good.

-Try to get some movement or activity every day. A walk is a good idea. Or a swim if you have a YMCA or something like that. Just about any movement for about 20 minutes will help.

- Make a plan that allows you 1500 calories a day. Stay with that for 2 or 3 weeks at least and see if it makes a difference in your weight without making you feel hungry all the time.

Jay

HW: 198 10/1/05
CW: 185
GW: 155
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote