Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-26-2005, 08:44 PM   #1  
Just Keep Swimming

S/C/G: 276/276/115

Default Help!

I was here a long while ago, but Ive decided to try to lose the weight again. I bought a new scale and a book on calories... However I'm not sure what approach to take... If any one has an suggestions, Id be open to any. I'm starting on the first because I figured why not bring in the new year on a good note. I'm really nervous that I will fail again... Hopefully things will work out.
~Heather~
Thehopefulcry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:26 PM   #2  

Talking

Well, It took me several ways to find my "perfect" diet plan. I suggest not weighing yourself daily. Weekly is good. Pick a day to weigh yourself on. My nutritionist told me to weigh yourself in the morning before 9am...something about the moon's gravitational pull starts to make you heavier as the day goes on. Also, go to the bathroom before you weigh yourself. One time, I had 2 pounds of pee in me!!! Not "yanking your chain" on this!!!

Watch your carbs, sugars and expecially soda's..even the diet ones can make you gain weight, watch the salt!!! Exercise daily, drink lots & lots of water; I drink 1/2 gallon to 3/4 gallon per day. But you have to exercise when you drink that much water....if you don't, you can gain weight from water retention. (experienced this one)

Well, hopefully, other members can give you some suggestions.

emerald dragonfly
emerald dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:13 AM   #3  
Hot Babe In Training

thanks E.D.. your tips and advice really helped.
HiImChristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi there! Until the first, evaluate. I suggest getting a free account at fitday.com and fiddle with it. You can put foods in and see how they add up and you can delete them if you decide that's not what you want to eat. You can take a few days to play with the activity levels too.
You've got a few days to learn. Read lots here at 3fc. Ask questions. Nose through that book so you'll be repared in your food choices. Get a good set of measuring cups and spoons.
You'll be armed for the battle on the first! And will start with a bang!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/187/141

Height: 5'4"

Heather, your signature made me very sad. From the looks of it you need to do some emotional healing as well as lose weight. I know the place you are at, all of us get there when we are overweight but to be successful in your weight loss you have to get yourself into the right mindset. Set yourself up some mini goals, not just weight loss, personal goals as well. I started slow on November 1, walk the stairs at work then intake more water then balance my check book, through out the clutter etc. Every success I had and every little thing I accomplished gave me the confidence to set another goal.

The other thing is why wait till the first!!!!!I think we all fall into that I'll restart Monday or on the first or on New Year's. Do it now!!!!!!Specific days mean nothing. Carpe Diem!!!!!!!!!

You can do it, Good luck,
Amanda
OBsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehopefulcry2
I was here a long while ago, but Ive decided to try to lose the weight again. I bought a new scale and a book on calories... However I'm not sure what approach to take... If any one has an suggestions, Id be open to any. I'm starting on the first because I figured why not bring in the new year on a good note. I'm really nervous that I will fail again... Hopefully things will work out.
~Heather~
Hiya - long term failed dieter here. When I tried to be "perfect" I always failed. Nobody is perfect! I finally succeeded when I started thinking about my long term health instead of weight loss. I made goals (knowing that some days I wouldn't meet them) based around eating specific foods to make me healthy - blueberries for the brain, spinach for eyes, nuts for the heart. I looked at what I ate every day and came up with healthier options (brown rice instead of white rice, whole wheat tortillas instead of regular, sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes), gave up fast food and pop forever.

I planned for long term maintenance and success and I think that's what has made the difference this time. The lack of processed/fast foods in my diet makes me feel great every day, it's easy to stay motivated to eat like this

Now, I try to stay focused on the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time I eat healthy, whole foods, 20% of the time, I eat what I want (fudgy desserts, cheese ). Perfection discouraged me, healthy eating makes me happy.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:52 PM   #7  
i am a runner

S/C/G: 165/142/130

Height: 171 cm/ 5' 6.5"

The moon's gravitational pull doesn't have anything to do with your weight fluctuating during the day... and especially doesn't make you heavier! lol

What worked for me at the beginning was ww, but now I find using fitday to count calories a lot more flexible. And they have cool graphs and stuff.
kookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:34 PM   #8  

LOL! I know, sounds silly, doesn't it. Well he really believes in it. (my nutritionist) It's like okay, whatever. But you know, one day I weighed myself in the afternoon and I was 4 pounds heavier and I didn't even over eat! LOL!!
I'm not taking any chances!! LOL!!!

emerald dragonfly
emerald dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:05 AM   #9  

Fitday is awesome.. I just told emerald about it, but I am sure you all know about it....lol

I have always been told to weigh myself first thing in the morning (after voiding...lol) You rid of excess water, waste, etc that you have store dup in slumber and that I have always noticed that I weigh more AFTER a workout...

First thing in the morning is my rule of thumb...
Deanna7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:30 AM   #10  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald dragonfly
LOL! I know, sounds silly, doesn't it. Well he really believes in it. (my nutritionist) It's like okay, whatever. But you know, one day I weighed myself in the afternoon and I was 4 pounds heavier and I didn't even over eat! LOL!!
I'm not taking any chances!! LOL!!!

emerald dragonfly
*giggle*

I think it's probably more because you have the longest time fasting while you're asleep -- let's say you eat dinner at 6pm and don't have a snack, and wake up at 6am and weigh yourself before breakfast. You've had 11-12 hours for your body to digest and get rid of everything you ate the night before. As you go throughout the day, you're adding water and food into your body, and it's still there when you weigh yourself later. To me, that makes more sense than gravity affecting us later in the day...but hey, it could, I suppose. We are mostly water after all! *grins*
FL_Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote