Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #1  

Cool I Worry.....

I worry that I have screwed up my body so much with all the extra weght over the years that even once I do loose the weight I will still look bad. A little back ground:

I am 40 years old, had 3 children 13, 10 and 8, 2 of which were by C-section. I never had a problem with my weight until the first time I got pregnant. 22 years ago (had a miscarriage). I have tried WW several times with no success. Which I take full credit for. I am going to try again Jan 2nd this time with my husband. I currently weigh 234 lbs and my goal is 150. My first goal is to get under 200 lbs. I am sooooo tired of feeling tired and run down all the time. I am 40 however I feel much older. I just worry that even if I do loose the weight that I wont be happy with what I see. I feel like I really screwed up by allowing myself to gain all this weight.

Val
val40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:02 PM   #2  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Even if you aren't happy with what you see (and I don't see how you couldn't be!) wouldn't you be happy with how you feel?

Think of it this way : You've lived your life looking and feeling a way you are uncomfortable with for years. Now you're committed to changing that. If you can get to a point that you at least feel better, wouldn't that be worth the effort? All you can do is go from here.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:38 PM   #3  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

You are YOUNG at 40! I am 56 and have only seriously been doing something about my excess weight for the past six months or so and have been working out at Curves for 2 years. I started at a similar weight as you and have about the same goal.

Here are some progress photos I posted on another thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...60#post1046460

Even though I still have a long way to go I feel SO much better and have a lot more energy.

You WILL feel better, both physically and mentally once you commit to a lifestyle change (not a "diet"). Just start out with a little exercise and cut back on your portions and you will see results. I found I can lose weight steadily on 1500 - 1600 calories per day, but everyone is different as to how many calories they can eat and still lose weight. Slow but sure works for me and I don't feel deprived as I eat small portions of my favorite high calorie foods almost every day.

You may want to consider keeping a food diary for a while, so that you can see what you are actually eating.

You CAN do it!
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:24 PM   #4  

I was where you are now. The best advice I can offer is to exercise, exercise, exercise. After I had my last child my body was so horribly out of whack that I thought it would never look good. So I decided that in addition to WW, I was going to start walking at least 2 miles a day, 6 times a week and started doing Pilates. With the combination I can say that I look better than I did before I had kids ; )

You can do this!!! You only have a bit of weight to lose but so much to gain. Good luck!!!

Mellissa
lisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:41 AM   #5  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

You may not look perfect after the weight comes off, but you will feel *so much better*!! My weight gain and loss definitely took it's toll on my skin and well "perkiness" but I'm soooooo much happier than I was before I took off the weight. I feel 1000 percent better. So what if I still can't run around in a bikini. I look good in clothes and I have so much energy now. It's like night and day.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:53 AM   #6  

The sooner you do it the better. I wish i had gotten the weight off when I was younger, but better now than later. At 41 my skin has more resilience than it will at 51, although less than it did at 20.

I am just glad that I am finally getting the weight off after being over 300# since I was a teenager.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:14 AM   #7  

I suggest that you take some time now to evaluate your expectations. Once you lose weight you WILL look better. But there is no way it will ever be good enough if you are visualizing getting back to your 18 year old body.

Like you, I haven't always been obese (although I always thought I was fat). One thing that has been difficult is not having a frame of reference for how I should look. All the diet and execise in the world isn't going to get rid of the stretch marks of pregnancy, wrinkles, sagging boobs, etc. They are all battle scars and they are here to stay. So, even if I do get back my 18 year old body I'm still not going to LOOK 18 again. I've never been thin and mature at the same time so I'm not quite sure what is to be expected. I haven't been 115 since I was in high school so how I looked then is what I have in my mind as how 115 looks on me. I know that isn't realistic but, at the same time, I don't know what IS realistic. Does that make sense?

I've tried all along to strive for the body I want and work at accepting what I've got. I am still looking for a happy medium between my brain and my body but I am getting there - and so will you.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:08 PM   #8  
Movin on down the scale

I can relate to what you are saying...at 215, I was frumpy, with a big butt and big thighs, love handles to NO END...well, dieting alone will not change the shape of your body...you will also need to exercise and try to work on specific areas to tone them. I am down 40lbs and my SHAPE is still the same only smaller, it isnt like you loose the weight and you magically look like your aerobics instructor with the toned abs, thighs. You have to WORK at it. But even still, you WILL be happy with the end result either way...because you WILL feel better!!!!

Good luck to you
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 08:12 PM   #9  

Talking

Oh sweetie...I have been there and more. I use to weigh 352 1/2 pounds before I decided to eat right & exercise. I am now down to 189..I was 185 last week but due to my monthly, I did gain weight. That's discouraging but I know it wasn't because I ate more...it's a woman thing! LOL!

Cheer up...you need motivation and lots of it!! Everyone here is so nice and caring. You WILL lose weight here!! If you feel you need to talk, we're here for ya'!

sending hugs your way.......... ..........

emerald dragonfly
emerald dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote