3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   can one expect rapid loss with slim fast? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/70554-can-one-expect-rapid-loss-slim-fast.html)

Peanut_butter 12-20-2005 04:29 AM

can one expect rapid loss with slim fast?

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyones had fast results with slim fast. I've done it in the past with little success, but that's because i had difficulty sticking to it. Thanks! I'm just lookin for some motivation.

JoyfulVegGirl 12-20-2005 06:45 AM

I've never tried slimfast so I'm not sure, but you shouldn't try to lose more than 2 lbs per week after the first week if you want to keep it off (maybe even less for your weight). Plus, slower loss with exercise can help you keep more muscle, so you might not lose as quickly but muscle weight is what they call "pretty pounds" and makes you look smaller (which is really what counts, anyway).

I know seeing the scale go down keeps you motivated, but I'd hate to see you get discouraged and give up if it doesn't move fast enough.

I have a friend who does well on slimfast, but she loses sloooow on any program.

FL_Chickie 12-20-2005 07:34 AM

I tried Slimfast and didn't lose, primarily because replacing real meals with liquid diets in the form of Slimfast shakes left me very hungry, so I ended up overeating on my regular meal and snacking.

Everyone is different though.

luluswish 12-20-2005 07:44 AM

I was thinking of trying Slim Fast too. But, I am always looking for a quick fix, then I never stay with it!

curlylocks 12-20-2005 09:48 AM

Ive read a lot of nutritionist opinions on "slim fast" ... thats it basically sugar water....... if u are determined to replace someof your meals with a liquid why not invest and buy protein powder.. so that you are getting some benefits from what u are drinking... but u are really better off having a good nutritionally sound meal... and just staying away from the junk...

check into "south beach" its a plan that gives u a quick start..

angelinlove2003 12-20-2005 10:39 AM

I have also tried slim fast in the past. I lost about 4lb in the first week then about 1lb every following week. I found it easy to stick to as it is very convenient but the down side for me was that it was very expensive!!The atkins diet is good for quick weightloss i believe you can lose up to 7lb in the first week.

gingerjen 12-20-2005 11:21 AM

I don't really follow the slimfast diet, but I do keep shakes and such around because they are great when you are in a hurry, and some of their snacks do make great snacks and they are easy, but I prefer to eat my calories, far more filling. I guess I just kinda use it when I am in a pinch. Good luck on whatever you choose.
Jen

Peanut_butter 12-20-2005 12:05 PM

THanks for the replies. I've been dieting since I was 14 years old. That's one of the reasons i'm clinically depressed because I can't stop obsessing about my weight.

These are the diets I've done:

Slimfast
Atkins
South Beach

And yes, I believe Atkins has the fastest loss, but the weight comes back too quickly with a little slip up.

I'm also worried about sticking to it during the holidays. Thanks for the encouragement!

annk 12-20-2005 02:02 PM

I have a Slim-Fast plus a banana once a week for lunch, just to mix it up a bit. I don't agree that they're just sugar water; judging by the nutritional statement they've got a lot of protein and fiber in them. But they DO make me feel less full than if I actually ate something for lunch instead of just drinking my lunch. I think they're a nice change mid-week and they're really good if you put them in the freezer for an hour or so before you drink them; they get nice and frosty!

Ann :)

LLV 12-20-2005 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut_butter
THanks for the replies. I've been dieting since I was 14 years old.

Dieting is how I got myself to 220 pounds.

Forget about diets and just 'adopt' a new lifestyle. When I finally gave up diets and decided to make permanent lifestyle changes, that's when the weight started coming off.

When you diet, you don't teach yourself the good habits you need to develop for life. That's why the weight comes back. And it always will until you 'teach' yourself good, healthy habits that will last a lifetime.

stagemomx3 12-20-2005 02:32 PM

SlimFast does have a lot of sugar in it. You are better off health wise to buy some protein powder and make your shakes with that. I will have a vanilla protein powder shake for breakfast after a really intense weight training workout. I will also have one if I'm in a hurry for breakfast or lunch.

Glory87 12-20-2005 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLV
Dieting is how I got myself to 220 pounds.

Forget about diets and just 'adopt' a new lifestyle. When I finally gave up diets and decided to make permanent lifestyle changes, that's when the weight started coming off.

When you diet, you don't teach yourself the good habits you need to develop for life. That's why the weight comes back. And it always will until you 'teach' yourself good, healthy habits that will last a lifetime.

This was my experience as well. I had no problem losing weight, twice before I had lost large amounts of weight. I couldn't keep the weight off and I always gained back MORE weight. Dieting made me fatter and fatter.

I was finally successful when I stopped looking at how to lose weight quickly and started thinking about keeping the weight off. I looked at how I ate and made healthy changes that I could stick with forever. Currently at 10 months maintenance!

LLV 12-20-2005 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glory87
This was my experience as well. I had no problem losing weight, twice before I had lost large amounts of weight. I couldn't keep the weight off and I always gained back MORE weight. Dieting made me fatter and fatter.

I was finally successful when I stopped looking at how to lose weight quickly and started thinking about keeping the weight off. I looked at how I ate and made healthy changes that I could stick with forever. Currently at 10 months maintenance!

Congratulations! :bravo:

I'm almost there myself. It's taken me 18 months to lose this weight, but it's been worth it every step of the way because I finally made that decision to just eat healthy and watch my calorie intake. I use fitday and record everything I eat. And no, it's not an exact science for me. I don't keep to the exact calorie. Some days I'm a little under, some days a little over. And I have bad days just like everyone else. Yesterday, for example - I went on a sweet-tooth rampage and ate a candy bar, Hershey Kisses, whatever I could get my hands on. But I don't let it bother me. I pick up and move on. Nobody's perfect. It wasn't my first 'bad' day and it certainly won't be my last. The important thing is I get back on track the next day.

I don't consider myself to be on a diet. "Diet" is a 4-letter word to me now. This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change that I'll have to keep up for the rest of my days. But I don't mind, I like eating healthy and I've developed good habits to boot :)

Again, congrats on your maintenance!