Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-14-2005, 09:40 PM   #1  
LLV

Default I'm munching too much (rant!)

It's no wonder I can't get these last 10 pounds off. I know the last 10 pounds are the hardest because your body literally resists letting go of them and it goes much slower. I'm prepared for that. In fact I'm prepared to accept the fact that it may take another 6 months or more just to get them off of me.

But I'm not helping matters any by my nibbling lately. When I cook meals, I nibble. When my son has an extra piece of pizza left on his plate, I nibble it. A few M&M's here, a couple of cookies there, a tiny handful of peanuts or rice snacks - there's no telling how many "unaccounted for" calories I'm putting away every day. Because, as I very well know, they add up quickly.

I've been 142 since November the 17th, lol.

[end rant]
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:50 PM   #2  
iwillmakeit

S/C/G: 205/173/110

Height: 5'4

Hey, I hear you. I've been 138.5 since November 27th, and my weight is down one day and up the next. Its just so hard to get the last few pounds off. And I am also nibbler too. When my son leaves something on his plate i just nible on it. I would nibble while I am cooking... etc. I was doing great until past few weeks. I feel like I am giving myself too much credit for losing the weights I have, and nibbles here and there.

It helps to hear that its not just me, and that people have same problems too. I used to be very strict and disciplined, and I would skip what my husband having and just cook something for me or have something real healthy. But now days its common that I just have some from his plate...etc.

Do you get the feeling of dissapointment or feel stressed out over it. That is my problem. I get really disapointed and feel guilty and sometimes feel like giving up. I haven't given up yet, and I will not give up. I just don't want to go back the way I was. And I just don't want to hear all those harsh comments from friends and other people. I am from Mongolia, and people there are so skinny. And once I was heavy, and whenever I went to visit home people would make comments like if you don't lose some weight, then soon there won't be any plane that can carry you, or say may be next year you will come in cargo plane... etc. Whenever I went to shopping back home, the sales people at the store wouldn't even let me see the clothes I liked. They would say its not going to fit you and we don't carry your size... etc. Well, anyway, just felt like sharing my experience with you ladies.

Last edited by tsots; 12-15-2005 at 12:02 AM.
tsots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:42 AM   #3  

I track my food, and I write down everything I eat - even the nibbles. It makes me stop and think before, say, I try the piece of cheese in the grocery store, or the mini chocolate bar on the receptionist's desk.
oliviacw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsots
Do you get the feeling of dissapointment or feel stressed out over it. That is my problem. I get really disapointed and feel guilty and sometimes feel like giving up.
I'm not sure, really. I mean... I don't really feel disapppointed in myself, but more or less frustrated with myself because I know better. Not that a few nibbles here and there is going to hurt me, but lately I've been doing it a LOT. And yes, sometimes I go into the "this is adding calories I don't need but who cares?" mentality, and sometimes that worries me. I've been very self-disciplined for over a year now and sometimes I get scared that I'll slip back into my old frame of mind and my old habits. Which is why I need to 'vent' about something like this because writing it down and telling you guys about it wakes me up and slaps me in the face, so to speak. It makes me realize what the heck I've been doing and what I need to get a handle on.

Thanks for listening
Old 12-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviacw
I track my food, and I write down everything I eat - even the nibbles. It makes me stop and think before, say, I try the piece of cheese in the grocery store, or the mini chocolate bar on the receptionist's desk.
Yep, I use fitday and record everything I eat - except the nibbles.

That's a good idea, thank you. I think I'll keep a pad of paper at my desk and every time I stick something in my mouth, even if it's just 2 M&M's, I'll write it down and then look at it at the end of the day. Maybe seeing it in black & white will wake me up a little bit.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I haven't experienced this yet (emphasis on YET), but I think it's pretty common to relax our habits after awhile, and it can be hard to get back to it. Good for you for recognizing it now, before you gain weight back!

I think writing down the nibbles is a great idea!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #7  
Egy Kis Lany

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
Yep, I use fitday and record everything I eat - except the nibbles.

That's a good idea, thank you. I think I'll keep a pad of paper at my desk and every time I stick something in my mouth, even if it's just 2 M&M's, I'll write it down and then look at it at the end of the day. Maybe seeing it in black & white will wake me up a little bit.
Maybe if you do this for a week or so you can start to estimate how many 'nibbles' you get in on a day on average, and then create a 'doof' called 'nibbles' and account for it in your calories.
That way you don't have to count "2 m&ms, 1 wheat thin, one bit of bread with real butter, 1 are-they-ready bite of mashed potatoes" seperately, you can just add '75 calories of nibbles' and it might help you relax a bit.

I'm at a point where I can nibble (and I only do a little, really!) and still lose without tracking it... but I expect soon that will change and I'll have to come up with a plan. Maybe I should start making one now... but I like the nibbles!
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:01 PM   #8  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Looking back, I can see that "nibbling" has always been my downfall! I have never really overeaten at meal times, but it was the between meal snacks that got me - especially since I didn't think they were so bad - a handfull of nuts (150 calories) here, or a hunk of cheese there (100 calories) or a couple of cookies (140 calories). In no time at all, I'd be 300 or 400 calories over my daily allowance. We all know that it takes just 3,500 extra calories to make up a pound of body fat, so it's a wonder I didn't weigh over 500 lbs. since I'd been eating this way for over 30 years

I had a lightbulb moment when I asked my slim girlfriend, Jan (who is the same age as me) how come she never dieted but seemed to eat a lot at meals when we were out together but never gained weight. Her answer was that she NEVER snacked, but ate pretty much what she wanted at 3 square meals a day.

I now enter EVERYTHING, in my online food diary - it's the only way I can be honest with myself. I think I'll have to do this for ever, because I stopped doing the food diary a year ago and immediately started gaining again. I've now lost 30 lbs. and have no intention of doing the "yo-yo" thing again . Keeping a diary is a small price to pay for the health benefits I now enjoy from losing the weight (not to mention looking better).

I try to think of my food log as an absolutely necessary medical thing - like how diabetics have to keep track of their glucose every day. In fact, I was on my way to being borderline diabetic, but now my blood sugar, etc. is normal.

You have come so far in your weight loss journey - just think of all the benefits you have from losing the weight as compared to the small amount of pleasure from "nibbling". Good luck
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:18 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
I haven't experienced this yet (emphasis on YET), but I think it's pretty common to relax our habits after awhile, and it can be hard to get back to it. Good for you for recognizing it now, before you gain weight back!
True, at least I recognized it. Because I WILL NOT let myself get fat again

And you're right about relaxing our habits. I think especially now since I'm getting closer to goal, I'm not being as careful as I was before. Because once I hit goal, I can up my calories by a few hundred to maintain and when I nibble and eat extra foods, I have to keep reminding myself. Hey! You're not at goal yet! Chill out!

lol

I guess I'm just so anxious to be able to relax a little bit once I hit my goal weight that I'm getting ahead of myself. Plus it doesn't help when I've got everybody saying, "What??? You want to lose 10 more pounds??? You don't NEED to lose anymore weight!"

That kind of sinks into your psyche. I need someone, instead, to say, "Yep, a few more pounds and you're good."
Old 12-15-2005, 12:21 PM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysDom
I'm at a point where I can nibble (and I only do a little, really!) and still lose without tracking it... but I expect soon that will change and I'll have to come up with a plan. Maybe I should start making one now... but I like the nibbles!
I do too, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 12-15-2005, 12:24 PM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpal
I now enter EVERYTHING, in my online food diary - it's the only way I can be honest with myself. I think I'll have to do this for ever
Me too. I've already made up my mind that I'll probably count calories for the rest of my life. And that's okay, I don't mind. I actually LIKE doing it. Anytime I get a new food or a new calorie-controlled meal, I can't wait to sit down and enter all the information into fitday. I know that sounds crazy, since lots of people have expressed that counting calories and recording everything they eat is tedious. But I like it

It makes me feel good to know I'm eating healthy and being accountable for what goes into my body. That and I didn't lose all this weight to gain it back. I refuse to do that to myself again.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:43 PM   #12  
banned

how bout brushing teeth, gargling w mouthwash or using whitening strips?
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaphilip3
how bout brushing teeth, gargling w mouthwash or using whitening strips?
I have done this before. There are so many foods that just don't taste as good when you've got a minty fresh mouth! I actually carried a toothbrush and travel-sized tube of toothpaste in my purse, and I had a tiny bottle of Scope in my car (for those days I just wanted to hit the McDonald's drive-thru!). It really did the trick for a while, plus I'm sure my dentist appreciated it
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:50 PM   #14  
Brit Chick

LLV - I noticed that we have similar goals and started out about the same weight. Would you mind telling me how long it has taken you to lose the weight? I can only dream of being in the 140's! It seems to be taking so long . How many calories do you eat on average?

I enjoy logging my foods too - mainly because it gives me a feeling of control over the food, instead of vice versa.

I'm eating about 1500 - 1600 calories per day. I'm afraid to go lower as I'd have a hard time sticking with it. I tend to stall out for a couple of weeks or a month and then lose a pound or so. I am losing but very s l o o o w l y! I started keeping a food log about 6 months ago. Sometimes it seems impossible when I see I still have 50 lbs. to go.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #15  
Egy Kis Lany

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
That kind of sinks into your psyche. I need someone, instead, to say, "Yep, a few more pounds and you're good."
You know, my guess is that you're probably good now... but I'll bet that give it a few more pounds, and you'll be a -knockout-!!
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote