Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

There have been a number of threads on this in various places recently (if you want, check out the calorie counters forum here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=172 )

The general rule of thumb seems to be not to go below 1200 calories -- partly because it is considered to be bad for your metabolism (though I think the answer to that question is unclear). I would say one of the BIGGER reasons not to go below 1200 on a regular basis is that it is very difficult to eat WELL the fewer calories you eat. Think about quality as well as quantity -- lots of fruits, veggies, and whole grains are the foundations of many successful diets (though there are a lot of variations).

Depending on the amount of exercise you're getting (and hopefully you are), you should be able to eat at least 1200 cals/day, if not more. Many people suggest you start out at a higher number.... maybe for you 1500 calories and see how well you lose and adjust from there. Everyone's body is different.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:01 PM   #17  
iwillmakeit

S/C/G: 205/173/110

Height: 5'4

Thanks, Wyllenn. It is hard when you try to fit everything into 1000 cal a day. I do eat a lots of carrot sticks, and exercises everyday. I spend hour in morning doing cardio and one hour cardio and weights in the evening. So, may be I am eating may be little less than what i should be eating.

tsots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:47 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

Height: 5'7"

It really doesn't matter what time you eat. A calorie is a calorie, more or less. And study after study shows that eating several small meals a day, particularly something that combines good low fat protein with veggies or fruit, helps keep blood sugar steady & the appetite down. If your last meal is at 2, of course you are going to get hungry later - your stomach will be empty. Try to learn to listen to your body (this can really take time, but it's worth it), and feed it something healthy before you get too hungry & reach for something you'll regret later. Exercise also helps regulate hunger.

cheers,
Sue
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

tsots -- Carrot sticks are good, but if you expand your horizon of healthy food you may also find yourself less likely to get bored with what you're eating!

In addition to carrots, try cutting up bell peppers or cucumber, or any other veggie you like to munch on.

Fruit is good -- most fruit has fiber which has lots of benefits -- helping you FEEL full for instance, and antioxidants, etc. I have rediscovered fresh fruit this year and love it!

Yogurt or cottage cheese -- calcium, protein, and lots of options.

Nuts -- almonds or peanuts (SMALL QUANTITIES! watch the calories) They do have some fat, but they are more of a "good" fat, and also protein.

I agree with suechef -- for me eating frequently is very helpful and I try to make sure I have fiber and/or protein at each snack.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #20  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by suechef
It really doesn't matter what time you eat. A calorie is a calorie, more or less. And study after study shows that eating several small meals a day, particularly something that combines good low fat protein with veggies or fruit, helps keep blood sugar steady & the appetite down. If your last meal is at 2, of course you are going to get hungry later - your stomach will be empty. Try to learn to listen to your body (this can really take time, but it's worth it), and feed it something healthy before you get too hungry & reach for something you'll regret later. Exercise also helps regulate hunger.

cheers,
Sue
Yep, that's one of the reasons I eat at night. Because I always have.

When I first started my lifestyle change, I really tried to not eat anything after dinner. So I'd lay there in bed, my stomach growling, wondering where its usual late-night snack was, and I'd end up getting back up and going out to the kitchen and eating a bunch of stuff I shouldn't. Because I had consumed all of my calories between breakfast, lunch and dinner and had nothing left for this late-night eating. So I decided to go ahead and have my late-night munchies and cut back the rest of the day to allow for those calories at night. And I've done it that way ever since
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote