qustion about sugar..

• Hello all i started WW two days a go, and i'm loving it but I have a question

I use sweet&low instead of regular sugar on everything needs sugar i drink about five cups of tea daily. Is there any points count in sweet&low?

I'm on 18 points rage...

Thanks
  • I cant help on the points issue but watch how much of that you do consume I dont have my facts in order but I either seen it on a news report or read it somewhere that taking in to much of the substatute sugar is not good. Ive been looking to see if I can find another source that offers some more info on that. But I think I recall them saying this person used alot of it every day so I dont know what a lot is and how long they were using it.
    I use Splenda myself and I take in about 2 to 3 packets a day maybe thats if Im having hot tea, which i can have 1 to 2 cups a day maybe.
    Now that its cold I have more than I would in the summer time.
  • No, non-nutritive sweeteners do not count towards your point allowance, as they have little to no calories.

There are a lot of people here and elsewhere who believe that all non-nutritive sweeteners are evil, so there will be many comments to that effect. But I use them all the time and have a clear conscience.
  • Thanks a lot MorticiaAddams and funniegrrl. I think i want to keep consuming the S&L its better than real sugar I gotta have my tea
  • Quote: I cant help on the points issue but watch how much of that you do consume
    I've heard Splenda is no better than nutrasweet and the others as far as health concerns and all that. Not sure when I heard that, though, and don't really have any other info. Just something I heard on the news once. They were just basically saying that with any sweetener, you should be careful to use them in moderation, regardless of what type it is.
  • Hey, I went right to the National Cancer Institute to see what they had to say about artificial sweeteners: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...ial-sweeteners I think their bottom line is that there might be a link between very heavy users of artificial sweeteners and bladder cancer. All-in-all though, they definitely don't seem to be giving the "evil eye" to artificial sweetners. I have to wonder (as the researching-for-a-living person that I am) how much of the "information" that we hear about Splenda, etc. is almost "urban legend" quality information.

My personal feeling is that they are probably not good for us, especially when it's more than a serving or two a day. BUT...I'm not giving up my diet Coke or my packet of Splenda in my oatmeal in the morning. I can deal with the health risks of artificial sweeteners after I get rid of the (what seems more immediate at least) health risks of carting around all this extra weight.

My two cents.....
  • nowornever -- love the name! thanks for the link. It can be so hard to separate fact from fiction, can't it?
  • Quote: My personal feeling is that they are probably not good for us, especially when it's more than a serving or two a day. BUT...I'm not giving up my diet Coke or my packet of Splenda in my oatmeal in the morning. I can deal with the health risks of artificial sweeteners after I get rid of the (what seems more immediate at least) health risks of carting around all this extra weight.
    My thoughts exactly...everything has risks...I weight the risk from diseases realted to obesity higher on my list of fears at the moment. Gotta love my Splenda.....
  • Yup, I think it's "splendiferous" myself ;-) And...give up my diet drinks? NO WAY. Seems like everytime I turn on the news there is yet something else that causes cancer. At some point we just gotta get on with life

Gina...INSPIRING stats girl!