Fundraisers, pies and chocolate OH MY

• What do you do when a parent or their child asks you to by something for a fundraiser? Recently we've been asked to buy pies from 3 kids and chocolate from a child of my husbands co-worker.

How do you say no without seeming like an uncaring jerk?

It just fustrates me to no end that all these fundraisers seem to be for unhealthy foods!

Now I have 4 pies and a box of chocolate on the way and thats the LAST thing I need in my house.
  • What I do is give the person a cash donation instead. They can then buy the pie AND eat it. OR the minute the pies and chocolate arrive at your house send them back out...take them to work or better yet a family members work so you don't have to see them all day!! Good luck!!
  • If it is just some random kid from the neighborhood I just say, "No thank you." I don't think that makes me uncaring jerk - just a neighbor who doesn't need a pie! If it happens to be a child I'm close to in some way (niece, children's good friend, etc.) then I'll decline the purchase but offer to make a donation to the organization (assuming I think it is a worthy cause, of course). If there are prizes involved for selling the most then I don't care at all if that child takes my donation and buys a pie (around here it seems to be pizzas and cookie dough) to help their sales.

I NEVER buy something twice for the same organization but different kids. The first one to my door is the one that gets the sale.