Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-23-2005, 10:44 AM   #1  

Default hard time in college

ok, im having a really hard time eating healthy in college...

there are barely any decent vegan/vegeterian options, so sometimes i buy things at restaurants off-campus, which of course are high in calories.

also, i dont know the nutritional facts for anything that i do eat in the campus dining halls, and the one time that i did find out, it was REALLY REALLY high. i dont know what to do!

i dont want to cook my own food bc my mom is paying for this ridiculously expensive meal plan.

what should i do?

im gaining weight...
pimpishboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:44 AM   #2  

as you can see...i was unable to reach my mini-goal since coming to my school...
pimpishboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:15 AM   #3  
Haley

hey i know how it is!! i'm a vegetarian and while there are a lot of veggie options here (most of the time), i still have trouble choosing the healthy things. my meal plan is also pretty expensive and i have no money for going out to eat other things. i'd suggest if you have a salad bar there to go that route. you can always add a veggie pattie to your salad for some extra protein. i also love quesadillas and when i get them i just eat half of the portion and then i'll also get a banana and yogurt to fill me up.

if you don't currently exercise, i would definitely recommend incorporating that in. i know how hard it can be to lose weight with the food, but it's definitely possible.

if you need any other advice or info, i'll try to help you as much as i can. feel free to pm me! good luck!!!
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:08 AM   #4  
Cynical RedHead

I am not suggesting you do this, as you may have other reasons for being vegetarian than I had, but after my first year of college I stopped being vegetarian because all i was eating was cheese sandwiches and pizza. The salad bar at my school was disgusting. I ended up gaining 10 pounds that I then lost when i had better food options.

Can your mom cancel the food plan she is paying for and maybe buy you gift cards to local grocery stores? If not, try to eat as much fruit and veggies as the cafeteria has. Good luck!
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:20 AM   #5  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

When I was in college I survived on baked potatos, deli sandwiches, cereal, fruit, salad & yogurt. Those were pretty much the non greasy options available. This was of course *after* my freshman year when I packed on about 25 lbs not being so careful about what I picked at dining hall.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #6  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

IF you can I would either pick up a Book on calories of Fat content and or look and compare online.
Once you have a understanding of what is in the food your eating and how it is prepared you will know what you should and should not eat.

Alot of people just dont understand the food values.
Unless your getting heathy options then you can tell your mom shes wasting money and not helping you get any healthy. Hitting the grocery store should be spent mostly on the outside aisles. Once you go inside the aisles you get not so helathy choices.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote