Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-20-2005, 07:08 PM   #1  
MeoW

S/C/G: 275/215/160

Height: 5'7

Angry No Willpower I Need Help!!!!!!!

Ive posted here a few times, i am sooooo frustrated with myself. I have NO willpower, its like nothing works, ive tryed pretty much everything and to lose weight is one of the most important things in my life and i just cant stop eating, i eat soooo much and i dont know how to stop it, its like my mind is saying no dont eat it then i just end up eating it, like i have no control over myself, its bad
i really need help, is anyone else like this?
cupcake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #2  

Have you read the Dr. Phil book? Whether you like the man or not, his book goes into WHY we eat, what the driving forces behind our decisions are. If you answer his questions/audits honestly, they can be eye-opening.

One of his good points is that willpower, like motivation, comes and goes and you cannot rely on it all the time. For those times your willpower burns out on you, you MUST have your environment set up to catch you. Get the stuff you know you shouldn't eat out of the house. Don't carry small change/bills to raid the office vending machine. Take money for black coffee ONLY to the coffeeshop for your break. Have meals prepared ahead of time so they're ready for you when you walk through the door in the evening. That sort of thing.

IMO, his book is well worth a read. Get the ideas that will help you out of whatever source it takes, right?
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:25 PM   #3  
At it again

S/C/G: 166/160/140

Height: 5'4

I'm currently going through that. I was doing so well this summer, and when I went back to college, I fell flat on my face. It's hard for me to get up and go to the rec center, or to eat healthy when I'm surronded by people who don't have to.

The only advice that I can give is to just keep trying, and maybe one day it will click. I'm waiting for that to happen right now. When I was dieting and exercising during the summer, one day I actually felt as if I liked doing it. Also, once you start to see progress, it motivates you a lot.

Good luck, and maybe someone has some better advice.
Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:26 PM   #4  
MeoW

thanks guys, i am gonna keep plugging but its just so frustrating that i cant control myself
Old 09-20-2005, 07:58 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousie
Have you read the Dr. Phil book? Whether you like the man or not, his book goes into WHY we eat, what the driving forces behind our decisions are. If you answer his questions/audits honestly, they can be eye-opening.

One of his good points is that willpower, like motivation, comes and goes and you cannot rely on it all the time. For those times your willpower burns out on you, you MUST have your environment set up to catch you. Get the stuff you know you shouldn't eat out of the house. Don't carry small change/bills to raid the office vending machine. Take money for black coffee ONLY to the coffeeshop for your break. Have meals prepared ahead of time so they're ready for you when you walk through the door in the evening. That sort of thing.

IMO, his book is well worth a read. Get the ideas that will help you out of whatever source it takes, right?
That's basically what I was going to say - not to rely on WILLpower but to use some BRAINpower by doing what Dr. Phil says in his book - cleaning up your environment and that means getting rid of the 'red light' foods in your house, office, etc. as much as possible.

Think of it this way - if you were recovering from tobacco, drug or alcohol addiction, would you keep a carton of smokes or a fifth of Jack Daniels in your house and just say "well, I'll just rely on my WILLPOWER NOT to imbibe"...it just doesn't work out that way. Just like the bottle or the coffin nail sings to the alcohol/tobacco addict, so does the siren song of the Snack Fairy of the goodies in the fridge (and I bet most of us know EXACTLY what's in our pantries...yes??).

There is nothing wrong with cleaning up your environment - and if you have hubby or kids or whomever who 'has to have' their candy or ice cream or (fill in red light food here) then they can go out and buy it and keep it somewhere else, or better yet - cut down on their intake. (It's amazing, isn't it, how foods that even when I was a kid in the late 60's/early 70's were considered 'special occasion' or 'party' foods such as chips and ice cream are now - too often - 'must have' staples for many folks nowadays.)

Just my two cents as usual.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:00 AM   #6  
MeoW

its basically the same thing with cigarettes i am addicted to them too, i will quit for a month then drive by the 7-11 and just have to stop and get them, its crazy i know better but i just cant stop, im like a drug addict with everything i do, i obsess about everything, its crazy
Old 09-21-2005, 01:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

If you're losing weight, are you being overly restrictive? A body that feels threatened by starvation might force you to eat - it's not a matter of "will power" - you want a body that won't let you starve yourself to the point of hurting yourself.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:33 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with previous posts--get the crap out of your house!! Even go so far as to do what I have (unintentionally) done--buy whole foods (lean meats, fruits, veggies, etc.) and only prepare them on an as-needed basis. Don't keep any easy-to-grab snack foods around, no chips, no cookies, no ice cream, no crackers--heck, if you're like me, then even no croutons and no peanut butter! I tried grabbing a snack the other day when I wasn't really hungry (just bored), and I discovered that there was nothing in my kitchen that wouldn't require timely preparation (defrosting, peeling, cooking, whatever), so I ended up not eating anything at all! And I definitely agree with the taking less money with you. I have had that problem as well since I waitressed a lot--I always had cash, which made it way too easy for me to stop and grab a cheeseburger or big danish at a gas station. I now only carry a few dollars and plan ahead of time what I'll eat for the day so I know how much (if any) I need to spend. I've even had to go so far as to leave my credit and debit cards at home as well (since fast food places now accept those, too). Just do whatever you have to do, and after a few days of no binging, it will all seem much easier, like binging is a foreign concept and you can't believe you used to do things like that!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:34 AM   #9  
Duranie forever

I'm new here and just like you, I have trouble with portion control because everything tastes so darn good. I am also one to grab something chocolate for breakfast, which begins a downhill spiral all day.

Just for today, I decided to put me first. There are a hundred things to do, and I can't do them all, so I made a choice to workout today, and for the first time in my life, I ate raw fruit with a yogurt dip for breakfast.

It tasted so good (and Ihad contemplated a chocolate donut) I know it sounds silly, but when I finished the fruit and yogurt, I was so proud, I almost cried! (i know, dork, LOL) I'm not going to worry about painting, or housework today, I'm going to use one hour fopr cardio. We should be buddies
Collgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #10  

Oh my goodness, I just went through the battle with the inner nag myself just 30 minutes ago! I wanted to stop at a neighborhood shop for chocolate and it really took every psychological resource that I possess to keep the steering wheel from going that direction. I know exactly what you mean! I also got through the summer, but am hitting a plateau for the last month. The weight plateau frustrates me and made me want to eat! How crazy is that! I want to lose and I want to eat!!!!!
So, I made it to my destination without the extra stop and am having a beautiful salad for lunch with my SF Jello for dessert and I'll feel so much better all day. I know one piece of chocolate wasn't going to be enough...One is too many and a thousand never enough!!! (the old AA saying, it applies perfectly to me too)
maggie2005 is offline   Reply With Quote