Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #16  

Susan.... or egg beaters and suger free (or lite) syrup on wheat bread... maybe that would be a decent breakfast.. one slice with some fruit on the side. YUM.
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #17  

BellaLumina,

Thank you! And your right! Last time I decided to clean my daughters room I found candy wrappers! I forgot all about this!!! I think giving them a little splenda and teaching them healthy choices and moderation is the key here! Thanks for your post!

~~~~~~~~~~

I am going to have to let my hubby see this board and read through the posts. It will help him understand this and handle this to. Thanks you guys!! Your awesome!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:24 PM   #18  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLumina
The downside was that this ban on sugar made sugar a prized commodity and led to eating in secret for me. Because my parents dissapproved of sugar I would hide candy bars in my drawers and save allowance money to buy treats. So, happy medium is good. LOL
This has happened to me lately with DD... For example tonight I made her fav potato casserole for supper, for her birthday... I made it with light sour cream, skimmilk, light cream of chicken soup, she didn't notice the difference, although this stuff in my book is still pretty high fat even made with the lighter versioin. So 15 minutes ago I find her downstairs eating a bowl of the stuff, before bed!!! and she was hidding it from me!!! Fudge!!! I just gotta laugh, or I'm gonna scream ... All I said is ''It's ok, as long as it's not a heaping bowl full'' which it wasn't but just the same, she WAS hidding it from me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLumina
That being said, you bought all that cereal and my pov is that they could either eat it or start fixing their own breakfast. Mom does not mean "short order cook" in any language.
I've had to resort to being "short order cook" for her because she is just not wanting to make the right choices lately *sigh*... I just hope this is another phase, one of many I'm sure...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:54 AM   #19  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Personally my mum tried the, "make your own then" with me. So I made all the shove in the oven frozen battered chicken fillets, onion rings, chips, fish fingers... I used to live on processed junk! I remember I was bribed with double pocket money to eat a boiled potato! I did it, but didn't eat them often after that!

Eventually the healthy eating clicked, after 20 years!

We didn't often have lucky charms or anything sugary for breakfast that I can remember. I used to get my fix of sweets from the shops next door anyway! I guess the kids will grow out of the sugar thing! Also I would totally rebel if there was nothing sugary and go and buy it anyway!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:42 AM   #20  

2frustrated,

I was afraid of that too! I am a rebelous (sp?) one myself. And I have seen this already in the past.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I already set out 1 packet of splenda in each of my kids place settings. I also set out measuring cups so they get there serving. I don't care for over-flowing bowls either. Hopefully they will learn something from this now instead of when they are my age.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:46 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think the key is teaching the kids MODERATION. At home I don't buy junk food-so they eat "kiddie yogurt", grapes, and things for snacks....BUT if they go to their grandparents or if we go out to dinner they can order whatever they want off of the kids menu.

I don't want to "ban" sugar or junk food from them because it CAN lead to secret eating and your parents are correct in that fact...which can lead to binging later in life. BUT-you don't want to give them sugar every day either.

So, if my kids eat healthier during the week-on Saturday if they want to order pancakes and syrup at Bob Evans when we go, or have a candy bar at grandma's house-then I don't care at all. I want them to learn that sugar is not "off limits" totally, but that it is a "treat" and not an every day indulgence. Just like McDonalds. I would never "ban" McDonalds from them...but I am not in that drive thru every week either. I think where things have become a problem is that a cookie or a restaurant meal was a "treat" for our grandparents/parents, and now today in America they are everyday foods.

I agree that you may want to stay away from the sugary cereals-but who says they have to eat cereal? My kids often have a slice of whole wheat toast, with either peanut butter or no sugar added fruit spread, and a side of fruit-sliced banana, grapes, sliced strawberries. How about a scrambled egg? A smoothie made from ice, fresh fruit, and yogurt?
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:59 AM   #22  

Aphil,

I agree with the out to eat places. My kids get made because there friends tell them how often they go out to eat.... and my kids want that! I always tell them #1 we can't afford that finanacially and #2 we can't afford that physically/medically.

Not only is the families today eating out more... but the serving sizes trippled!!! My husband and I were just talking about this yesterday! At McDonalds (yeah, we stopped there while out grocery shopping) they are selling there dinner places again. The plates are double the size they used to be! For example our parents and grandparents ate off of plates that we now consider to be salad plates! And now we eat off of place double to tripple size! I just realized a set of Corelle Dishes from Walmart (I have this) does NOT come with salad size plates! That does not help either!

And I think your right about the sweets. I used to allow them sugar until I cought them abusing it. Then it was in the trash.

I buy fruits all of the time. To often it went bad. However, now that I am eating it, they won't go back as fast. I did buy the kids some pretzels because they complain of no chips. I also bought zip lock sandwich baggies too and seperated the servings in each bag!!! No more open bag eating, or heaping handfulls anymore! They are not to excited... but they will be later in life!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #23  
Ilene the Bean

Moderation, portion control and healthy eating is what I am stressing on my DD lately. She's a good listener, I know, because when I hear her talk to her friends on the phone she's always saying: ''My mom said this...my mom... my mom...'' It's kinda cute and I'm flattered too.

This is a discussion we had last week, she thinks I HATE french fries and sweets and that I'm a health freak. I tried to explain to her that I love french fries and sweets, but if I ate them every day or even too often during the week, I would be unhealthy, lazy, crancky, my cholesterol and my blood pressure would be too high, etc, etc.... I never stress ''being fat'' I always stress ''health'' and ''moderation'' and ''portion control'' ... I gave her some examples when she goes to McD's with friends to have the chicken salad, because she does like the chicken, with a side order of SMALL fries to satisfy her fry cravings, OR if she's hungry for a hamburg have the burger with a salad with 3-4 fries from a friend... things like that, there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated
So I made all the shove in the oven frozen battered chicken fillets, onion rings, chips, fish fingers... I used to live on processed junk!
This is exactly what happened this summer when I didn't make all the meals regularly, and she's gone from a size 9 to 13 in 8 weeks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated
Eventually the healthy eating clicked, after 20 years!
I have to agree with that, it'll click in when she's good and ready and fed up with herself, so I guess all I can do as an adult/parent is to lead by example... Her friends even say that I have ''guns'' .... She brags that I am a health freak, taking a swimming class and that I run and weight train regularly, so dang it all, somethings gonna give someday, but in the mean time it's driving me batty , but I'm gonna keep at it ... This healthy eating problem is much easier to deal with than if she were running the streets and smoking cigs or pot and drinking at her age, and I know of some of her former friends that are... So in the grand scheme of things this is nothing, I count my blessings ....
Old 09-13-2005, 09:32 AM   #24  

That is probably a big part of the issue here to! I never thought of that before! I always show my kids my picture of me when I was around 16 (pictures in my web site) and me now. So they could see the difference! I was 115 then and well, we all know what I am now! Lol. And I always stress do you want to be as big as grandma. Maybe I should shut up about that and make notes on the healthy part of the choices!

I wish my daugther would see that she is larger for her size though. She is 10 years old (will be 11 the day after Christmas) and she wears a 14plus size pants, and womens tops. She feels she is skinny like Hillary Duff!!! It really scares me!

I admit... this is my fault! I do take the blame for this. But this is also all that I new until not to long ago! It has taken me awhile to learn healthier choices! I just hope she catches on before I did.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 AM   #25  
Ilene the Bean

Tracy, Oprah or is it Maya DeAngelou say: '' When you know better, you do better '' ... So now that you know what a healthy lifestyle is, it's never too late to show your children ... It's obvious that your 10 yr old has a very high self esteem if she sees herself as beautiful the way she is, and that's a very good thing. Just change the foods gradually and incorporate some walking or fun exercises and her weight will come off without her even noticing...
Old 09-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #26  

Thanks. That put a smile on my face. And your right. It is the self esteem I never even thought of that. This is a good thing. I am so glad I put everything out (pretty much anyway lol) on these boards! I tend to see more when others get into it. She does like to exercise. I even got a couple of different videos just for her. Hopefully she will continue to do them.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Leslie Sansone has a "Teen Walk" video on her website-Walk Away The Pounds in a version for teenagers, and she has a "Kids Walk" video as well, geared towards children.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:01 PM   #28  

Yes I know! I am so excited to get them! I have to pay my credit cards down a little... and then I will be ordering them! I have the Denise Austin video for kids.... but I even have a hard time doing it!!! My daughter does to. Walking and most of Leslie's videos are easy to do.... so I can't wait to get them. I was hoping they would become available in stores... but it has been a couple of months and nothing yet. I will just have to order them online.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:02 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

First, I want to say that I don't have children so maybe my opinion wont count This is just my experience growing up, and watching family members grow up.

Growing up, we were basically allowed to eat whatever we wanted. My mom didn't have a ban on any type of junk food, sugar or any thing else. There was always some sort of snack type thing and pop in the house.

IMO, I think that by banning food or sugar or whatever, may cause children to either sneak food or over eat and binge eat when they ARE allowed that sort of thing.

I have an aunt and uncle who have 2 children. They had this sort of ban for THE longest time, and still kind of do. But both of their daughters are/were (I haven't seen them in a few months) overweight. They were never allowed candy or pop or anything sweet. When we would get together for family functions, my 2 cousins would over eat desserts, and drink a TON of pop (and hide it from their parents). They've since let up on their junk food ban

Yes, I'm overweight, but I don't necessarily blame that on my mom and that she allowed me to eat sugar or sweets. Even though I was allowed to have pop every day, I didn't always drink it, and now I rarely drink anything other than water (even before I started counting WW points). I also have 2 sisters who are healthy and not overweight. I think (as others have said already) that moderation is the key.

I also think they'll grow out of that phase of wanting to put half a cup of sugar on their cereal... I know I did. As I got older, that need to put so much sugar on everything went away.

Yes, I think its important to teach children healthy eating habits, but don't think its a good idea to completely ban foods from children. I understand that you don't want to pass on your food and weight problems to your children, but at the same time, don't create one - don't scare them into wanting to be 'thin' (and possibly by showing them your 'thin' pictures could do that - especially your daughter) or make them feel bad for what they are eating (which can lead to binge eating and hiding food).

I think I've seen some of the cereals come out with lower sugar alternatives to their high sugar cereals - maybe that could be a good compromise for the time being for your family? And as everyone has said, there are other options for breakfast

I really hope that this doesn't sound like I'm trying to act like I know it all - as I said, I don't have children, so I know its a different perspective.

Good luck!!

~Liz
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:43 AM   #30  

Liz,

Thanks for your thoughts on this too! It doesn't matter if your a mom or not... you seen this growing up! It makes total since too! Thanks again! I appreciate all the advise.