Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-11-2005, 01:49 PM   #1  

Default not being able to exercise...

is screwing me over completely!!

exercise was my motivation, tae-bo especially. it kept me focused. it made me feel as though i was making progress.

but for the past 2 weeks, i havent been able to exercise due to a knee injury. since i've stopped exercising, it has gradually become harder and harder to not overeat and binge. when i had been exercising, i felt in control of my body. i only ate when i was hungry and didnt even have to try to stay within my caloric goal; my body didnt fight against it. now that i haven't been exercising, all i want to do is eat. i try so hard not to, but i just get so hungry and just stuff my face (like i did last night). it's even become hard to stick to being a vegan, which hasnt been hard for me in months!

im so discouraged with myself. i've been afraid to weigh myself for fear of seeing how much weight i may have gained...this sucks. i don't think i've gained more than 3 or so lbs bc my clothes don't seem any tighter. but whether or not i've gained weight doesnt bother me as much as the fact that i havent LOST any weight. i've made zero progress bc i havent been able to exercise.

i have an appt with an orthopaedic doctor tomorrow...hopefully, he or she will tell me that i can start exercising again and that i can do tae-bo again (it's the one exercise that makes me feel as though im actually doing something).

it's weird, i cant believe that i had gone so many years w/o exercising and now two weeks w/o it feels like **** lol...:::crossing my fingers for that appt tomorrow:::
pimpishboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:15 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

hang in there - maybe an exercise that doesn't require using your knees?

upper body exercises - even just getting your arms moving until you work up a sweat...it's the endorphins that get produced when you exercise that you are jonesin' for.

Good luck with that appointment!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #3  
ONE DAY AT A TIME

Try doing the floor exercises, streches and ab crunches, Billy Boot camp Basic Training about half of the dvd is on the floor, and even when they are doing the arm raises and punches you can still do them on the floor. GOOD LUCK I hope this will help you!

I LOVE TAE-BO!! BILLY KICKS @**!!
Alchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:18 PM   #4  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Default Oxycise?

This is a 15 minute per day breathing/isometric exercise program. It really does work and it is not very expensive. You could probably even find a used one on Amazon or E-bay?

It is nothing like the Bodyflex breathing, which I personally don't care for.

Good luck to you!
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #5  
I admit it..I'm a "Loser"

I'm sorry you have been unable to excersise due to injuring your knee.
Perhaps, while your knee is on the mend..you can do some upper body excercises using handweights or floor excercises like another person had suggested.
You may not burn as many calories as if you were doing Tea-bo but you will be strengthing your other muscles and keeping them in good shape which is important especially during the time your knee is healing.
Good luck at your doc's appointment tommorow...You will be back into your routine in no time..
DesertDustBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #6  
I admit it..I'm a "Loser"

ohh and I just thought of something....with this past 2 weeks of resting..when you do get back into your excercise routine...you will probably notice your weight dropping quicker than before cause your body has to get used to the routine again....sooo...this might be a good thing after all.
DesertDustBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #7  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

Well, a bum knee shouldn't have to stop you from exercising. There are a lot of good ideas already posted. I have been looking into a program called "Sit and Be Fit" that I saw on TV. One of our channels has it everyday. I found that there are videos and dvd's you can get (check your local library, they may have it). They are aimed at people who cannot get up and work out. I was specifically thinking of my sister who is confined to a scooter. I plan on getting her the tapes and then convincing her to actually use them. There is a website, but I don't have it handy. Hang on, let me see if I can find it...

http://www.sitandbefit.com/sitandbefit/ by Mary Ann Wilson
This website has a listing of Public TV stations and also cable stations that they are on and what states they provide for. You may be able to find it on your TV and not have to rent it.

I also just found another one called Sit and Get Fit by Michael Horn
http://www.sitandgetfit.com/

You could also sit in a chair and do hand weights, like 2 or 3 lb weights to get some resistance training in. Won't do much for cardio, but at least it's still something.

Good luck.
Kathy
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #8  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

Oh, and what about resistance bands and do all upper body work? That may help you too.

Good Luck.
Kathy
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 11:04 AM   #9  

Why did having a bad knee stop you from exercising. There are chair aerobic tapes available at the library. You would be surprised what a good workout you can get without jumping around. You might want to learn some alternative routines
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:56 PM   #10  

quilter, the reason my bad knee stopped me from exercising was that i didnt really know what exercises i could do with having to use my knees in some way. for instance, i had no idea how to warm up without walking around...i still have no idea how to warm up w/o walking lol.

at the time, i didnt want to invest in a special "easy-on-the-knees" workout tape or anything like that bc i knew that my injury was temporary...i was hoping that it would have been really temporary (2-3 days like this knee website told me...) but such is life.

but thanks everyone for replying!! your answers truly have been helpful. hopefully someone with more permanent knee problems will read this thread and get some helpful ideas.

i went to the doctor, and she told me that i can slowly start exercising (elliptical and bikes) and to expect a little bit of pain bc my knee is still bruised, but exercising at this point wont cause any lasting damage (its already healed a good deal). she said i should leave tae-bo alone for awhile...so im guessing i can start it back up in about 3-4 weeks??

and desertdust, i hope you're right about that increase in weight loss after rest idea; that would make me ohhhh so happy lol.
pimpishboo is offline   Reply With Quote