Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-19-2005, 07:30 PM   #1  

Default screwed myself over

well, i went to stay with a friend across the country and i ended up gaining 6 lbs in 2 wks...or so my scale says. i did gain half an inch on my waist, and now i just feel really disappointed in myself. i would love to jump back into the whole exercise routine that i deserted during my visit, but i just got all my wisdom teeth taken out and i'm supposed to avoid any strenuous exercise until my mouth has fully healed.

i feel like i've completely messed up. my clothesd dont seem to fit any differently though, which is a good thing. it isnt as if i sat around all day when i was staying at my friend's; we biked everywhere, all the time. but who knows. i guess i just ate waaayyyy too much.

i know it's possible to start losing weight again, but i just need to hear that someone else has had a similar experience and started losing weight again...

thanks
pimpishboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #2  

Girl... you just went across the country!! Your body has to deal with the changes of all of that plus jet lag or what have you! Give your body time to adjust. Let your mouth heal... and once you can get back into your normal exercise routine do it!!! Don't be so hard on yourself right now! Going away on vacations and stuff..... anyone is bound to gain something!!! Just work hard to get back into your routine once your mouth heals up. You will be back to normal and back to losing weight again in no time!
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:39 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Went to visit my family in September and gained a few. Lost it, and more afterward. It happens. But if you cannot do strenous exercise, do something non strenuous...some light yoga/stretching or something. Just to keep you in the exercise mindset. Sometimes being out of exercise for awhile can play havoc with our minds in getting back into it. By continuing, even if it's very light, you keep your mind focused on a daily routine of exercise so you don't have the emotional crutch holding you back from getting back into the swing of it after you've healed up.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:25 PM   #4  
Mel

Went to Cancun for a week over Christmas a year and half ago and gained more than that in one week...and I was walking, swimming, actually used the gym at the resort, and eating big globs of guacamole and drinking a lot of tequila Had a great time, came home and started eating really strictly and exercising again. The weight came back off, and then some more. I know you can't really exercise until your mouth heals, but you can get your eating back under control.

All is not lost!

Hop back on the wagon...come on...there are plenty of us on here to help you up! You've just hit a bump in the weightloss road and they will be there. Once you reach goal, they will still be there. Learn to handle them now without giving up, and you've learned how to maintain a weightloss as well as lose in the first place

Mel

Hop back
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:02 PM   #5  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Default Keep with it!

I agree with Mel!!! All is not lost!!!! I actually took a whole YEAR off! I didn't mean to, but it just sort of happened.

Between January and August 2004, I lost about 20 pounds. I then moved to England for 18 months -- fully intending to keep up my new eating habits, weight training, cardio, etc. I lived in a fairly small town in the Peak District, with the closest gym about 30 minutes away so I never bothered to join. But I walked ALOT -- at least an hour a day, and I thought that was "enough." I lived with friends who are really big into lean meats and veggies (which was good), but also who were really into beer and chocolate (which was NOT good). By the time I came home, I'd gone from a size 12 back up to a size 14. So I just went right back to my old routine, and (like someone else said) the weight I'd regained came off really quickly. Thank goodness.

Get yourself back on track and you'll be just fine. Since you can't exercise right now focus on getting back into the food groove for now. You'll be just fine!!!!!
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:51 AM   #6  

thanks everyone for replying. i know it's possible, but i just wanted to hear it from others...i know that's pretty babyish or whatever. oh well, i think i'm entitled to being babyish bc im a teenager lol. anyways, thanks again. i'm just going to continue monitoring what i eat (although im also not supposed to be on any diet during the healing process, i cant help it bc i cant eat any solid foods yet, so it's inevitable) and i'll do some yoga and stretching exercises during the day. hopefully by wednesday i'll feel up to actually exercising. it takes about 5-8 days to recover, i think...so yeah, i could lose about 2 lbs during that time, but whatever, this is supposed to be a lifestyle change, right? so 5-8 days shouldn't really matter much.

but yeah, thanks!
pimpishboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #7  

Default SPB (Sudden Poverty Backslide)

My daughter was deployed overseas and I found myself suddenly in charge of a toddler for several months. The stress took a huge toll on my diet -- the sea change in routine, not being able to go to the gym or out walking whenever I wanted, etc. But the hardest thing dietwise was the sudden plunge into sheer and utter poverty.

Things like salads and varieties of fruit became an unimaginable luxury. No more fish, chicken, fresh fruit or vegetables every day. (I guess the good thing was that I couldn't afford chocolate, ice cream, chips, etc.) It meant a huge backslide into high-carb foods (noodles, rice, couscous, sandwiches, cereal, etc.) because that's the only stuff attainable when you have $10 to feed two people for a week and you have to wait six weeks for a WIC appointment. Any extra food money went for the little one (whole milk, fresh veggies, fruit) ---- and I just didn't have enough for the both of us. There were meals where we ate leftover bagels salvaged from a meeting at the office and I didn't even have enough peanut butter for the both of us.

It sounds crazy, but it's true: I gained six pounds eating this way. The combination of stress, interrupted exercise routine, and higher-carb/higher-calorie foods did me in. ARGH!!!

This past weekend, my daughter's child-support allotment kicked in. Most of the money went for new shoes, diapers, fall clothes, etc., but it felt soooooooooooooooo good to go to the grocery store and buy healthy foods again. Chicken breasts!!! Fresh fish!!! Green stuff!!! Actual peaches!!!

I'm sure I'll lose those six pounds. It's just amazing how much of a relief it is to get back to my lower-calorie/lower-carb eating routine. I feel lots more in control of my life with a little money in my pocket to eat the way I want to eat.
MsSpentyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:03 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsSpentyouth
My daughter was deployed overseas and I found myself suddenly in charge of a toddler for several months. The stress took a huge toll on my diet -- the sea change in routine, not being able to go to the gym or out walking whenever I wanted, etc. But the hardest thing dietwise was the sudden plunge into sheer and utter poverty.

Things like salads and varieties of fruit became an unimaginable luxury. No more fish, chicken, fresh fruit or vegetables every day. (I guess the good thing was that I couldn't afford chocolate, ice cream, chips, etc.) It meant a huge backslide into high-carb foods (noodles, rice, couscous, sandwiches, cereal, etc.) because that's the only stuff attainable when you have $10 to feed two people for a week and you have to wait six weeks for a WIC appointment. Any extra food money went for the little one (whole milk, fresh veggies, fruit) ---- and I just didn't have enough for the both of us. There were meals where we ate leftover bagels salvaged from a meeting at the office and I didn't even have enough peanut butter for the both of us.

It sounds crazy, but it's true: I gained six pounds eating this way. The combination of stress, interrupted exercise routine, and higher-carb/higher-calorie foods did me in. ARGH!!!

This past weekend, my daughter's child-support allotment kicked in. Most of the money went for new shoes, diapers, fall clothes, etc., but it felt soooooooooooooooo good to go to the grocery store and buy healthy foods again. Chicken breasts!!! Fresh fish!!! Green stuff!!! Actual peaches!!!

I'm sure I'll lose those six pounds. It's just amazing how much of a relief it is to get back to my lower-calorie/lower-carb eating routine. I feel lots more in control of my life with a little money in my pocket to eat the way I want to eat.
Sorry to hear about your financial hardship. I would have thought with your daughter serving our country you could have got help faster! But I guess our country is not perfect yet.

I understand completely what your saying though. I have a family of 5 people and my husband only makes $10.00 (lost old job due to a car accident that left him partially disabled for the rest of his life, this is a new job highest pay around that he could handle.) an hour now. So affording healthy foods is most of the time very hard to do! Little by little we get some though. Which is better then nothing. I try to keep a positive attitude.

I hope you and your family well! And I hope your daughter comes home safetly!
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #9  

Hey MsSpentyouth,
If you find yourself not having enough money for clothes and stuff like that, I would check out either Craigslist.com or Freecycle.org. People are always looking to get rid of old baby clothes or books or anything that she might need.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread like this, but I think these are helpful websites for people who need them.
xalliciax is offline   Reply With Quote