Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-10-2005, 10:40 PM   #1  

Default serious depressing slump....

i really need some help, because the whole issue of my weight is making me completely depressed. and i'm not even the type of person to get depressed.

i am 18, and i weigh about 130 ish, and i'm about 5*4. i know that to some people, 130 isn't alot. but it's not the weight as much as my muscle tone - i am completely flabby. i love myself and i have confidence, but lately, as i just get more flabby, its becoming so much harder to look into the mirror and love what i see.

a few months ago, i got really committed to losing weight. i mean, hardcore. i joined the gym and i actually went! i shopped for the right food, and i read all the articles on weight loss.... but i fell off the wagon. more like, i fell off the wagon and then it ran me over. if anything, i've gained weight and now i don't just feel bad, i can't stand it anymore. i look at my face and it has just no definition.... i can't believe its me.

you would think all of this would motivate me, but it has just made me so depressed that i just want to stay home and cry about it.

please help me get back on track. how can i do this? i don't even know where to start. my whole family has been commenting on my weight, and i just feel like i've let myself down and everyone around me by being overweight.
tickledpink0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #2  

First of all, don't lose weight for anyone else but yourself. It's YOUR body not theirs! Secondly I've been where you are, I went gun-ho when I first joined the gym and totally burnt myself out on it. I would suggest starting back to the gym 2-3 times a week. Slowly ease your way back into it and don't over do it. Dieting is a bad word to me, but I think the key is, doing it on a daily basis but doing it in steps so that it's a lifestyle change and not a diet.

Chin up, you can do it! We are all here to support you too!!
AngelKisssezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I would recommend that you not try to lose weight-as in pounds on the scale. You are already at a pretty good weight for your height.
You simply, need to start exercising regularly to gain some muscle and lose body fat. You can very well stay around the same weight, and look a heck of a lot better in a few months time-just by getting more fit.
Make a choice to start eating a little healthier-more fruits and vegetables and less junk-but I wouldn't really worry about the scale so much.
If you are experiencing depression, studies have shown that cardio exercise actually helps with depression. I know this from experience. So, if you do strength training, yoga, Pilates, or whatever-just make sure that you are getting some cardio time in as well to burn calories and alleviate your depression.
Good luck to you, and let us know how it is going.

Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #4  

thanks for the advice! i am going to start trying to tone up and maybe join a class or two at the gym when i get to college.
tickledpink0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #5  
SBKYMOM

Default Hang in there!

I understand how you feel, but you have to take baby steps sometimes and really "vision" where you want to be. Stick with it, work out 3-4 times a week, cardio, weights, walking, etc. Muscle burns fat, so toning is necessary. Make sure you continue to "eat smart". Don't give in to the depression. You can do it!!!
Sheree'
minirunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:24 PM   #6  

Start small, and start taking steps that you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life. Spending two hours in a gym everyday for a week might do you good for that week, but going for a two mile walk every day for the rest of your life will end up doing alot more good.

It's easy to get gung-ho about a fitness program, do really well for a short while, then get burned out and quit, only to feel very bad for having done so. I firmly believe that making small, substainable changes us much more sane and useful.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Join us in the Ladies Who Lift forum under exercise. There's lots of good advice on firming all the jiggly bits (and lots of real world expertise as well). I'm in almost exactly the same boat even though I'm a *little* older
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote