Looking for words of support

• I have been following weight watchers for two weeks now. The first week I did so well and lost 6 pounds. However this past week I have only lost 1 pound. And Lost 1 inch around my waist. I am following the plan and doing all that I am supposed to and I wonder why I have not lost that much weight. I was expecting to loose at least two pounds. Sometimes It can be really discouraging.
  • Amanda... they say that an average weight loss on WW is about 1.5-2 pounds a week, so if you look at it that way, you are 3-4 pounds ahead of the game. I think it's counterproductive to expect a continual 2-pounds-a-week weight loss, even in the beginning. Just try to stick with it. Seven pounds in two weeks is terrific. And it'll just keep getting better!

I hope I can follow my own advice though. I started WW on Saturday, so this Saturday will be my first weigh-in. I didn't start until Sunday, though. Then of course I did something stupid and weighed myself at home this morning. According to that, I've gained 2.5 pounds since Saturday. So I'm going to try to ignore that and just continue on program 'til my official weigh-in and hope for the best.

Godd luck!
  • What you experienced is absolutely normal and usual. There is no reason to be discouraged. You see that big drop the first week because you lose a lot of water weight when you start a calorie-restricted diet. When your body doesn't get the amount of carbohydrates it is used to, it has to turn to stored glycogen for fuel. The glycogen is "packed" with water, so when you burn off that fuel, the water gets released, too. My guess is that you really lost 1 - 2 pounds of fat last week.

Any sane diet is not going to promise losing more than 2 pounds a week, and even then that's a lot to expect. You'll find that the body is quirky and will let go of weight in irregular patterns. It's just part of the game. Consistency in your actions will help that be the BEST it can be, but you have no control over your body's schedule for doing things, nor should you expect it to conform to some ideal schedule in your head.

If you focus more on changing your habits -- learning a way of eating and activity that you will be able to sustain the rest of your life -- the weight will come off sooner or later. Don't let the scale be your only source of validation. Realize that what you're doing for your body, feeding good healthy fuel, not overtaxing it with crap it doesn't need, etc., is good in and of itself. Also, learning impulse control and healthy attitudes towards food is good for your MENTAL health. All of these are the primary reasons to make the kinds of changes you're making. Think of this as an overall journey to a new, healthy life, and let the scale do what it's going to do without influencing your emotional state.
  • I know how you feel and it's frustrating, but remember that you're in this for the long haul. I lost a lot, fast, in my first 2 months. About 13 pounds a month, although it was closer to 20 the first and closer to 10 the second. Anyway, I've been stuck at 222 since the 19th of June. It's really a pain, I know. I just figured out, using what Quite-A-Handful pointed out, that if I was losing 1.5 to 2 lbs a week for those 2 months, I'd only have lost 13-18 pounds, so I am still quite a bit ahead of that 1-2 lb figure. You are too. I am reading and re-reading funniegrrl's post and I just have to agree with what she said about focusing on your habits and health instead of the scale. I need, NEED to do that myself. She's just so right on. I know that what really matters here is my health, my well-being. Not the numbers on the stubborn old scale. I think that's a good thing for any of us to keep in mind. Thanks, funniegrrl for pointing that out .