Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 269/243/145

I am just the opposite about my clothes. I am really looking forward to buying new clothes. I guess I don't want to have to replace my scrubs, but those can all be taken in. To me it is far more important to be able to wear the clothes I have wanted to wear for so long. I am really looking forward to going shopping, but then I love to shop so losing weight is just another excuse.
Jen
gingerjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:05 PM   #17  

Funny that I would see this thread today, as I just took 3 pairs of pants, 1 skirt, and 3 tops to be altered today. A friend and I are going to NYC in October. I have budgeted $5000 (a la What Not to Wear) to buy a new wardrobe as reward of getting to goal while we're there. But, since I've lost 47 pounds none of my "old" clothes still fit (I've gone from a 20/22 to a 14). Even the few things I bought after the first 20 pounds are now too big.

So, I've been on a perpetual shopping spree for about a month (it is so fun shopping in "regular" stores and actually being able to find things on sale that are my size). Everything I buy cuts into my NYC budget, so I took some of my better clothes (quality brands, silk blouses) to be altered. For inexpensive or faddish things, it probably isn't worth the $$ to have them altered. But if they are quality and classic, I think it's worth the $15 to 25 since it would be more costly to replace them.

One thing I've discovered is that if you continue to wear your "fat" clothes, no one can tell that you've lost weight. Not only do the smaller clothes better show off your shrinking body, but by wearing something new you will feel better about yourself and people will notice.
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:00 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

If you have a certain skirt or outfit that you love (and think it may be around in a smaller size) look on Ebay. Punch in the name brand and what size you would need in the "search title and description" under the section you are looking in (tops, skirts, etc.) and look. Or, simply look for a skirt in a very similar style to what you have.

As for money concerns and buying a new wardrobe-check the Goodwill!!!! I have bought my husband a brand new still with tags pair of Gap $48 jeans for about $7, and bought a very nice formal gown there for my husband's formal holiday party in December for $8.00!!! My Goodwill has some great stuff, you just have to "dig" around. I have found fabulous expensive baby and maternity clothes when I needed them (not Kmart brand-stuff like Liz Lange, Motherwear, and Baby Gap) and I have found great dvds, things from Old Navy, Abercrombe, Tommy Hilfiger, and so on. You just have to take a few hours to dig through everything for a "find". I think it is fun!!!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:49 AM   #19  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

If it's only a month away, I don't think you will have to worry too much. A couple of cleverly placed safety pins, or even taking in a seam a wee bit can do the trick. Play with pinching the seams a little, and I'm sure if you need to alter it in any way, you'll find the most discreet way to do it.

Or, you can knit yourself a cute little sash or shawl to hide any awkward bits!
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:53 AM   #20  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

I've always been skiddish about buying used clothes. I don't know why, really. But there's a Presbyterian Resale shop downtown that is super-cheap with quality stuff that I might go to for my "in-between" wardrobe.
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #21  

I am so tired of wearing my fat clothes. I bought an outfit today, just so I wouldn't have to look shrouded in fabric. I may not be thin, but 16 is a whole lot better than 26!
Knitting_a_Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #22  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

Im not opposed to heading to the goodwill I did before I was married.
I bought some jeans the other day and they fit very snug. I will wear those until they are loose.
I had a challenge a long time ago with my dad that if I got down to a certain weight that he would buy me a whole new wardrobe. I wish I could take advatage of that. But I certainly wont. Hes retireing and I will not feel right at all.
I have a lot of time to go until I get to my goal I will save and then I will have a big blow out spend all and have a really great time knowing I lost the weight and im spending my own money on myself.

I still find it hard to believe that Im fitting in the smaller sizes. When someone tells me her try this on, I say oohh no that wont fit me , I problably wont be able to get that past my thighs. And the total shocker of it going above my thighs makes me shiver.
My brain is still not used to losing the weight.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:08 PM   #23  
Sassy Chick

Well, I really love you guys, but I just can't believe this thread! When I lose all this weight, I am going to have a bonfire with all my fat clothes!!! Now, the more expensive things, I will probably have altered - my mom is a seamstress, so there's no reason for me to discard perfectly good, expensive, classic clothes - but everything else is OUT. I mean, what a WONDERFUL reward that will be to be able to go to The Limited, Express, Banana Republic, Gap, etc etc again! I can't WAIT to be able to shop at "skinny people stores"! Now, don't get me wrong, I am workin' it at Lane Bryant. They carry all of the latest trends and styles, so I don't feel like I am "behind the times" stuck in moo-moos and "polyester elastic waistband grandma pants" just because I am overweight. But how envious I have been of my girlfriends bying clothes for 5 bucks on the clearance racks at the skinny people stores! I have to work at the plus size store in order to pay for my "addiction"! Please don't be mad at me - everyone is very much entitled to their own opinions - and mine is "Burn, baby burn!!!"
LHB1977 is offline   Reply With Quote