Going out to eat tip

• I'm the kind of person who when I go out to eat will get anything that sounds good. What I've started doing is going online and searching (google or citysearch.com) for the restaurant. If I can find it, I see if they have a menu online and then decide before I even go what I'm going to get. This way, since it's already decided, I won't just decide on hunger impulse and get something bad.

I hope if someone has the same problem that this will help!
  • yup yup .. also some of the restaurants have their nutrition info posted and if not calorieking.com or dietfacts.com can help in making your choice too
  • Now me, I go in knowing what I want, then start browsing the menu thinking of trying something else, but end up ordering what I initially considered by the time the come take my order. Being indecisive is such a curse.
  • If I'm unsure I'll always order chicken (grilled) and lots of veggies.
  • That is a good tip!
    I'm trying to get past the "treating myself" mentality of going out to eat. I feel like if I'm paying more money then I should be eating something really, really good. Restaraunt food just has so many hidden calories that even things I think are moderately healthy are way over what I would normally eat in a meal.
    I can't decide if I should just cut down the number of times I eat out, or if I should set my mind to eating things I don't usually like (ie healthy food) so that I can enjoy the outting.
  • Great tip! Thanks for sharing.
  • Wastedthermos--I know what you mean! I have been going out to eat way too much recently and so I'm definitely over thinking it's "treating myself," so I do try to eat healthy when I go out, but sometimes my stomach gets the best of me. I wish I could get back to thinking its treating myself, but maybe if I did I wouldn't be eating as healthy. All I know is I need to do less going out to eat and more low-fat cottage cheese!
  • Oh and wastedthermos, I love your quote, I wrote it down and put it on a sticky note on my computer. Maybe it'll help me when I try to make excuses not to go work out!
  • Haleys-

I love it too! Bob Greene has a way of writing things that just make sense to me, and that statement hit close to home for me in just about all aspects of my life.
  • I've often heard it suggested that you ask the waiter to put half of your meal in a to-go box before ever serving you. The portions at restaurants are SO huge. I figured out a while back (before seriously starting in on my diet) that my favorite pasta dish at my favorite restaurant is almost 5 cups of pasta! That's 5 servings. Next time we go there I plan to ask them to put half in a to-go box before serving the meal, and then I'll only eat half of what I'm served. It's still a lot of food but the portion sizes at most restaurants are just out of control.