Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #1  
rajuncajun

Default Smoking/Weight Loss

HI all!
Anyone out there that smokes? or have smoked and was able to quit while still losing weight? I quit twice with both of my pregnancies because they made me sick to my stomach...and started back up both times because of depressing times during my childrens hospital stays....anyways they are 4 years old and 6months old..both doing great....but here i am needing to lose weight and stop smoking....please, i know smoking isnt good for your etc etc..so i dont need a lecture (some give them)...i just want to find out for those that quit and were trying to lose weight was it more stress etc? or easier, did it make you want to eat more since quitting smoking? I have lost 30lbs before i got preg the last time and now that weight is still on me. i would love to reach my goal and have support buddies to keep me motivated.
May 17th is my weight loss starting day..and my cutting down on cigs day also. One pack lasts a week...so i'm glad i dont have a pack a day habit or more. So if anyone would like to be a weight loss supportive buddy/ or quit smoking buddy ..or both...let me know thank you for reading!
MrzCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:00 PM   #2  

I'm not a smoker, but my best friend and my father were; both quit long ago, thank goodness! I've been on a couple of weight-loss boards the last few years, and I have seen smokers who gave up both at the same time, and others who could only handle giving up one addiction at a time! It may depend on how deeply ingrained the habits are, how much you depend on them. I hope you find a solution, whichever works for you!
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:12 PM   #3  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi MrzCajun

Congrats for planning to give up smoking - you won't regret it! I gave up smoking about 18 months ago now and was also dieting at the same time, so I'll tell you a little about how it was.

Dieting at the same time did not make it harder and the exercise gave me something to focus on and keep busy with! I'm sure you know that giving up can be difficult - but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be , infact the hardest thing was committing to stopping and then actually DOING IT!

I knew I would need something to do with my hands, so prior to giving up I decided to start cardmaking and stocked up on lots of stuff to keep me busy!

Foodwise, I did not turn to food out of boredom, BUT I found I was alot hungrier. I found out that this is completely normal because smoking is an appetite suppressant, so when you quit you're natural appetite reappears. Also I found out that smoking increases your meatabolism!

So, consequently I did gain about 6- 8lb during my giving up smoking - I know people who say that their weight balooned when they gave up, but if you make sure you don't use the cookie jar as a cigarette substitute, then any weight gain will be minimal.

Before I gave up I was determined not to gain any weight at all, but as time progressed I realised that giving up smoking was the single most important thing I could do for my health - and if it meant gaining a few pounds then so be it.

The best thing about giving up and dieting at the same time is that you will really notice a dramatic improvement in your fitness - the difference is amazing!

Hope this helps - good luck! Feel free to PM me at any time - I'll gladly support you through it!

Love Amanda x

Last edited by Amanda Panda; 05-16-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:09 PM   #4  
rajuncajun

Thanks you two...Funnie, congrats to your father and your bestfriend for quitting! Amanda, thank you so much for telling me your story! I understand the keeping your hands busy part!! And you are right quitting is worth it even if it comes with extra pounds! But the good part is you can always lose that weight! I remember how great i felt when i quit those two times..! Thank you so much for your support and you too funnie, I will for sure take you up on being able to PM you if i hit a rut LOL thanks again
Old 05-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #5  
Kimmy

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/130

Height: 5 foot nada

Mrzcajun, I gave up smoking and joined Weight Watchers a few years ago within a week of each other. I lost 50 pounds at that time and kept it off for quite a while and have been smoke free since. I guess it was about 5 years ago. I gained back probably 30 pounds over the past couple of years but not due to the fact that I quit smoking just lack of will power
I didn't find it too bad at all when I did it. I guess I was ready to conquer both things .

Good luck and I know you can do it.......if not for you then for your kids

Kim
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #6  
rajuncajun

awwww nibs thank you so much and YES my two boys are my greatest motivators!!