Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-19-2005, 04:20 PM   #1  

Default any night time strategies

Dear Friends I am a long running compulsive overeater. I struggle mainly at night after my family go to bed and Im so happy to have some peace and quiet . Unfortunately I am drawn to food when I am not hungry and eat most of my calories at night. Does anyone have suggestions for me for night Many Thanks Susanna
Susanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

Height: 5'7"

What about going to bed when they do? I used to do the same thing, with both food & alcohol. Then I asked myself, "why don't I want to go to bed when my husband does?" and boy, that brought up some interesting stuff. (didn't have anything to do with him, it was a pattern that started a long time ago).

You could also simply do what Oprah does: have a "no eating after XX o'clock" rule that you stick to for a period of time, and see what happens. I try to drink Sleepytime tea at night instead of eating, which helps.
cheerio,
Sue
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Sugar Free hot cocoa! I think it tastes watery, so I add one pack of Splenda to it. Mmm!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #4  

I have always been a late night eater. I stay home with three small children so rarely to I get to enjoy a meal uninterrupted. Like you, I enjoy the "me" time that comes only after everyone else has gone to bed. In the past I would snack like crazy. These days I just plan for a certain number of calories during that time. I my planned food in solitude and then I'm done. I don't have a schedule - I get this snack when I am ready for it regardless of how late it is. Should I not have enough calories left at the end of the day for this little indulgence I do what someone else suggested - I go to bed. Extra sleep is rare for me too so that is an occasional treat in itself.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:00 PM   #5  

I also have planned calories for nighttime. On the whole, though, my key to avoiding night eating is keeping busy. It might be a project (real work like folding laundry or doing dishes, or something semi-fun like sorting photos or whatever), or it might be a hobby (needlework, crossword puzzle) or grooming (doing my nails). It's mostly about keeping my hands busy, but I also find that when my mind is actively engaged, it does not turn to food. TV is NOT active engagement, by the way. I never watch TV without something in my hands, even if it is a magazine or book to read during the commercials.

If I still really have to have something, hot tea with Splenda, especially something flavorful like Earl Grey, is satisfying, or I'll have the sugar-free, fat-free hot chocolate, or sugar-free Jell-O. Sometimes, though, I just have to turn off the light in the kitchen and say out loud to myself, "The kitchen is closed for the night." It's surprising how well that works.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:24 PM   #6  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

I second the nails!

I too, have a very serious problem with night-time eating. This is when I will binge, and consume twice the calories I did during the day. It's awful.
I'm going to try some of these suggestions too.

But one that does work for me is doing my nails, chips aren't so appetizing when you try to put them in your mouth and ruin all your work, or get a whiff of those toxic nail polish chemicals
It takes me quite a while to do my nails the way I want them, and wrecking them is usually enough of a deterrent for me....plus...my nails look pretty and then I don't want to bite them!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:35 PM   #7  

Instead of snacking, why not take a looooooong hot bubble bath, light some candles, play some soft music and just relax. Hope this helps. God Bless.
praytherosary822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #8  
Chubby Barbie

Location: In Florida near the beach with all these thin pretty girls around!

hehe... I was just about to suggest the hot bath too! Put on a face mask, hair mask, and make a bubble bath! Maybe make the candle smell your treat. Walmart has some sweet smelling candles.
DaisyLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:39 AM   #9  
Made my Goal weight!

Hey there

When the might time eating monster sneaks up on me, I kick his butt by eating low-fat popcorn or chewing GUM....the gum really helps and I try to do things to keep busy but I know it is hard...good luck to you and now you know there are MANY people, me included that have to fight off the late night monster EVERY night! You can do it though!!

Leanne

LeanneM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:41 AM   #10  

Oh, and I forgot ... after eating dinner, brush your teeth! And brush them again if you feel a snack attack coming on!
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:04 PM   #11  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Talking

hehe....I read this one in an issue of ww's mag. from a reader..... LOL

When its time to make the lunches for school and you're tempted to snack (and the snacking might lead to other foods....) try whitening your teeth with those bleaching strips (ie Crest whitestrips) Not only are you avoiding foods while you prepare the lunches but you are also whitening your smile!!
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:04 PM   #12  
YES!! You Can!!

S/C/G: 274/150.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I plan for my night time snacking also. I save my portion of nuts for the day, a sugar free fudgsicle and a fruit. Its been working for me!!

I've also been having a 1/2 cup of sugar free chocolate pudding or s/f jello on some days. Sometimes I'll have a piece of laughing cow lite cheese w/ a whole grain rye cracker.

Geee...you think I like to eat?
Judynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #13  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

I usually plan to eat something relatively starchy right before bed, either high-protein cereal or a high-fiber cereal bar (Uncle Sam's.) That way I get to eat and go to sleep and I don't have to worry about it.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:10 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

I like to eat half a grapefruit or some oatmeal before bed...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:19 PM   #15  
LBTEPA

Hi Susanna
what a lot of good ideas there are already - I second the doing your nails and brushing your teeth ones! I also find that knitting is helpful - amazing how much time can pass without you realisng it while your'e knitting LOL! Another strategy is to put the stove timer on for, say, half an hour, when you feel like a snack, and tell yourself you can wait until then, and then next time stretch it out some more and so on. Half an hour on the exercise bike also helps the time pass Another strategy is to have lots of fairly yummy low-fat grazingfood in the house eg rice crackers, low-fat yoghurt etc to minimise damage if you do eat uneccessarily. One of my favourite "not-hungry-just-wanna-eat" foods is a huge bowl of those frozen mixed veggies (microwaved of course!) with chili sauce.
Anyway good luck and keep at it
LBTEPA is offline   Reply With Quote