Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #1  
Bread is my Enemy.

Question How many times do you weigh yourself?

How many times do you guys weigh yourselves? I weigh every friday, but the suspense in the middle of the week is overwhelming, I want to know if I am making progress or not. But then again, I know weight can change dramatically by the day due to hormones, aunt flo and other changes in the body. I want to be absolutely correct about my current weight and progress...
BrOOklyN ChIcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:04 AM   #2  
No Uno Mas?

I usually weigh in on Mondays but I'm the same, I always step on the scale at least once in between weigh ins.
Christalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:07 AM   #3  

I do my very best to try to only weigh once a week Sunday morning as soon as I get up. (sometimes I sneak that mid week weigh in) I have found that if I weigh in the middle of the week it just makes me depressed since I don't feel like it is going fast enough. Sometimes I skip a week and weigh only twice a month cause then it is a nice surprise when I have lost more than I thought I did ! But remember to try and weigh at the same time each time you weight and try to wear similar clothing so you can get a more accuate weight. Good luck on your weight loss journay!
scorpiobby20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #4  

I guess I'm obsessed, I started out once a week. Then it was twice a week, then everyday, and this week its been twice a day. I know I have to stop, but I have been stalled for 2 weeks, and I'm starting to really freak out. I know I have not been doing anything wrong to stop losing, so I think I just need some patience and some time. I have been tracking my calories very carefully, and trying to move a little more just to try to get over the plateau.
I think I'll try to wait at least until Sunday for the next weigh-in.
KTna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #5  
Bread is my Enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTna
I guess I'm obsessed, I started out once a week. Then it was twice a week, then everyday, and this week its been twice a day. I know I have to stop, but I have been stalled for 2 weeks, and I'm starting to really freak out. I know I have not been doing anything wrong to stop losing, so I think I just need some patience and some time. I have been tracking my calories very carefully, and trying to move a little more just to try to get over the plateau.
I think I'll try to wait at least until Sunday for the next weigh-in.
Yeah the reason why I ask is because I am borderline freaking out cuz I usually weigh every friday but I weighed yesterday and there was nothing lost. I was wondering if there was nothing lost for the week or did I just weigh too early.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #6  

Probably just weighed too early, if you are used to a certain day, you should stick to it. What I have learned from weighing in so frequently is that you can see no change for days and days, then one day see 3 lb drop. I keep hoping the 3 lb drop is going to happen the next time I weigh-in, but so far no luck. It's probably the best to limit the weigh-ins so as to not become discouraged like I have. Also, keep a measurement diary (something I really should start again) because I noticed that my clothes fit like I have lost, but the scale is just being stubborn.
KTna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #7  

I normally weigh once a week on Monday and have no scale at home. This week on Thursday, I felt lighter, so weighed again, and I had dropped two pound!!! I won't tempt fate again, I'm sticking to my weekly weigh in!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:36 PM   #8  
crazy4my6kidz

Default Prevention.com

A good article to read is on www.Prevention.com in their weight loss section. The article is called"Making Friends with the Scale". It suggests that if you weigh yourself everyday and record your weight that you will see a pattern to the way that your weight fluctuates during the week and that the weight that is lowest during the week should be counted as your true weight. I find that my weight is lowest on Wednesday and Thursday so count my weight for the week as my weight on those days. It helps to know that there is a pattern to the way my weight fluctuates.
Hope the article helps!
Peace,
Kathy
gfmomx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:43 PM   #9  
Bread is my Enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmomx6
A good article to read is on www.Prevention.com in their weight loss section. The article is called"Making Friends with the Scale". It suggests that if you weigh yourself everyday and record your weight that you will see a pattern to the way that your weight fluctuates during the week and that the weight that is lowest during the week should be counted as your true weight. I find that my weight is lowest on Wednesday and Thursday so count my weight for the week as my weight on those days. It helps to know that there is a pattern to the way my weight fluctuates.
Hope the article helps!
Peace,
Kathy
oh yes this helps plenty! Thank you so much! Took me a while to find it but its under diet and strategies under the heading of "weight loss" thank you Kathy, I am going to go home and make peace with my scale right away.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:06 PM   #10  
crazy4my6kidz

Post Prevention article

Sorry I was kind of vague on finding the article, but glad you found it!! Here is the link right to the article for others to find!
http://www.prevention.com/article/0,...4642-1,00.html
It really is helpful!
Peace,
Kathy
gfmomx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 264.5/185.3/150

Height: 5'1"

I have been weighing myself daily since September. Every morning I put my weight into Excel. I love doing this, sometimes I will have a two lb. gain for no reason, and then it will go away. I like seeing how weight fluctuates and it comforts me to know that there are always fluctuations up and down. I don't get freaked out by gains anymore.
KathrynRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/209/150

Height: 5'6"

I usually do every Wednesday morning, but a lot of times I will do it more often Gains don't seem to freak me out that much cause I remember that our bodies are constantly changing. I should start writing it down somewhere. It would be interesting to see the difference.
Jessie_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:40 PM   #13  

I only weigh once a month. If I weigh daily or weekly I drive myself crazy. By weighing in once a month - I focus more on how my clothes fit instead of the numbers on the scale. I have found that this method is working well for me.
lovtolaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I don't think the scale should be obsessed over-as in weighing every day or more than once a day-and your "mood" for the day changing because of what the scale says.

If you are not exercising much-the scale shows the majority of your progress-but if you are active and exercise a lot-it is only part of the picture. I am a once or twice a month weigher. More important to me (because I am so active in dance, cardio, and serious strength training) is my measurements and body fat %.

There have been many times due to fat loss/muscle gain that I have only lost 1 pound-or even less-in a month's time-but I will have lost inches all over and gained definition. (visible muscle tone/lines.)

I focus on those two things the most-and I set a lot of goals for myself that are FITNESS related-not scale related. Like pushing myself harder in workouts-taking my weights up to a higher level, going 1/2 mile longer next week than I did this week on walks, and so on.

Also-rather than rewarding myself for pounds lost-I reward myself for staying on plan with diet and exercise for certain time periods-a small reward for 2 weeks 100% on plan, rather than a reward for meeting a "pound" goal.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:37 PM   #15  
Jellybeanz

S/C/G: 253/241/140

Height: 5ft4in

i weigh in on mondays, at my "fat club", i dont like to weigh in every day because i dont want to become obsessed with the scale. I dont like to miss my monday weigh ins though because it keeps me on track.
jellybeanz is offline   Reply With Quote