Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-21-2005, 12:47 PM   #1  

Default Feels Like Im going in Circles!!

HI All,

Well I guess Im just discouraged with myself here!!! I know Ive come a long way, but the last 3 months. nothing seems to be working. I eat every 3 to four hours something small. Eat salads and WW meals for dinner, have yogurt and granola for breakfast with fruit and 80ozs of water a day and its just not working. I walk 3 miles, three days a week, and usually do 1/2 hour at least 4 times a week of aerobics or on my elliptical machine. I went from 256 to 199 and then it all just stopped. No matter what I do, I cant go down. I went to the doc's and she said that all my bloodwork was fine. I also have given up all my snacking and am drinking either tea or hot cocoa at night. I guess I just dont know what to do. Ive been sticking with this for a while waiting for something to happen, but the scale isnt going anywhere. I tried changing my diet around to trick my body, and Ive also tried adding tae bo and step aerobic classes off and on to jump start my body. Nothing seems to work. Ive read through all the posts looking to find secrets from anyone else on how to beat this, but I havent had much luck. Its not from lack of not knowing how to diet thats for sure, because Ive finally learned that much!!! If anyone has struggled with this and can shed some light on something I havent mentioned????
Thanks Jewels
jewels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #2  

You may be gaining muscle try taking your measurements and see if you see any change that way.
scorpiobby20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:31 PM   #3  

Hi, I went through the same thing, it didnt last as long, only about a month. But it was still very frustrating, and very discouraging. At around 3 weeks of no change I just gave up for a while, my eating habits became quite poor again, not as bad as before, but poor by my standards now lol I had stopped working out...I was in a very big rut. Then when it had been a month of nothing, I decided enough was enough, so I started to watch what I ate again then suddenly out of nowhere I dropped 5 pounds, in one week. So I think when I went from eating badly to eating right again, that was enough to shock my body and get it moving again. I hope this helps, and I'm not saying to throw everything out the window and eat crap lol It just happened to be what worked for me lol

Last edited by Nicole1883; 03-21-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Nicole1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #4  

I just came off of a plateau myself. So, I know that it is much easier for me to say this than it is to do. But, just stick with it, this too shall pass. Try not to focus so much on the scale. If you set goals for yourself make them for something besides your weight - maybe increasing the intensity of your workout or trying a new aerobic class, maybe even adding a bit of jogging into your walk.

I tried all of the "tricks" too. I don't know if they played a part in making the scale finally move or not. I do know that they mixed things up for me and kept me from giving up out of boredom. The excitement is in watching my weight drop so, when that stopped, doing the same thing over and over just became drudery.

Also, if you aren't already, consider having your measurements taken. It is likely that you will see progress in them that the scale doesn't show you.

The bottom line is don't give up. What you are doing works even if it doesn't always work the way you want it to.

Good luck and congratualtions on your weight loss so far!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #5  

Have you tried weight training? It really speeds up your metabolism and helps you burn fat even at rest. I actually like weight training better than cardio!
aweighstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #6  
prepare for the BEST time

You have lost almost 20 lbs. per month for the last 3 months!!!! congratulations! I'll bet the farm that you have gained muscle. give your body a month or six weeks, including a little rest from aerobic activity every week, maybe add some weight workouts. The scale will move again....(can you check your bodyfat %)?
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:33 PM   #7  

Hi and Thank you all for your support and input, one thing I did want to clarify that someone said was that I have lost 20 lbs every month the last 3 months!! I WISH!!! I started a year ago and have lost 60 lbs in the healthy way of a lb a week or so. This plateau has just been lasting alot longer than the usual ones I have experienced. I am going to try to add some extra work out in, and yes I have been doing weight training as well, I would just like to see some of the flab disappear!!!haha Thank You all for you added suggestions
Jewels
jewels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:29 PM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Jewels, I know exactly how you feel! I started dieting in August, got down to about 160, and stayed there from the end of December all the way through the beginning of this month. The advice about taking your measurements is good -- even though I was 160 that whole time period, I lost a whole two inches off my waist! Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're weight training at all, putting on a little muscle will counterbalance a whole lot of fat when you step on the scale.

I finally dropped another four pounds in the past couple weeks, and I think it could either be just the natural way of things, or because I jump-started my system by eating crap for a weekend and then going back to dieting, or it could be because I stopped weight training (I have wrist problems and it was making them worse).

At any rate, hang in there! Hey, I'm in Rhode Island too!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Just to be sure that there aren't any dietary issues that may be slowing your process-would it be possible for you to journal your food intake for me for the day-and pm it to me? Eat as you normally would, and write it all down-including how MUCH you are eating of each thing. Write down everything-even a bit of coffee creamer. If you are eating a granola bar, or something like that-put the brand/variety down as well.

I do also agree with the strength training. It does WONDERS-not just for losing weight, but it changes and forms your body shape wonderfully.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:20 AM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I hit the plateau at 170 and stayed there for a long time. Rather than continuing with the same exact routine, I instead increased my exercise a drop and began watching my calories at that point. I had previously just ate the right foods without actually counting calories. So now I counted calories and played with them until I noticed my weight decreasing. Then I plateaued again around 150 and I decreased my calories again and started losing again. To get into the 130s, I had to keep my calories under 1,400/day.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote