Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #1  

Exclamation Need help now!

I was just wondering if anybody has any tips for getting through a slump. I've been stuck at the same weight for over a month now. I need to loose another 50lbs, someone please help me out!
Nicole1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:04 PM   #2  

My plateau ended after I began staggering my calories rather than consuming the same amount each day. So, instead of eating 1500 calories each day I average 1500 calories per day each week. The idea is to not eat the same number of calories two days in a row. So, for instance, I might begin the week with 1500, day two 1200, day three 1800, day four 1500, day five 2000, day six 1400, day 7 1200. That is still an average of 1500 calories perday but I've kept my body "guessing" as they say.

I do this each week and have lost steadily since I began. I also find that doing this allows me much more flexibility in my eating plan. With a couple of higher calorie days built in I am able to incorporate a lot more variety into my diet without sacrificing my overall goal. I don't mean I scarf down cake on those days but certainly it is easier to have a more decadent meal occasionally.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:29 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

jawsmom is right...you just need to shake things up a bit. Everyone's body eventually gets used to a certain routine of exercise and calories. As suggested, try varying your calories without actually changing your average number of calories. If that either doesn't appeal to you (some people may get too used to those 2000-calorie days!) or doesn't seem to work well enough, try varying your exercise patterns. I know when I was working out 4-5 days a week, I was doing the same pattern of exercise each week. I have heard that bumping up your strength training will help more than doing more cardio, but I think just about any deviation from your current pattern (without burning fewer calories, of course) should be enough to jar you back into a successful pattern.

The only other suggestion I have is to rethink your daily number of calories (or points, if you're doing WW). As you lose weight, your body needs fewer calories to function, so as you get lighter, you may have to eat fewer calories in order to continue losing weight. For example, I can currently eat 2000 calories a day (since I am over 300 pounds) and still lose weight, but if I only weight 150, I probably wouldn't lose weight eating that many calories (unless I increased my exercise big time!). Good luck, and I hope you find a solution that works for you!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

As you lose weight your body requires less calories per day. It looks like you have lost 38 pounds from your tracker-so the next step is to drop your calorie intake SLIGHTLY, or to UP your exercise.
I am a great example of this.
I found in my personal experience that I lost the first 5-10 pounds very easily when I started out a few years ago. I started out simply cutting my calorie intake to about 1800-1900 a day from who knows what it was before. I went from not exercising at all with a brand new infant to doing a 10 minute ab tape 3 days a week. That was enough change to get the first few pounds off.

After I hit about 190, I had to add some more exercise in. I started doing 10-15 minutes of exercise bike in a couple times a week along with the ab tape...and dropped my calories to 1700-1800. (just 100 a day) That took me down another 5 pounds or so over time.
When I plateaued again, I didn't drop my calories any further, but I changed WHAT I was eating. I kept the calories the same, but made more of them fruits and veggies, and went to all whole grains (pasta, brown rice, whole wheat bread, etc.) instead of white starches. I started drinking more water. That change alone in the quality of fuel helped another couple pounds drop over the next couple months.
Over the past couple years I have to continually change my exercise routine more and more-working out for longer, more intense sessions, and improving my food intake. I have not dropped my caloric intake all that much in the past two years-because I don't want it to be too low. I am currently around 1400-1600 a day now-but the quality of food is good. (Very little "junk" calories like 100 calorie packs or fat free ice cream.)

My exercise that started out as a 10 minute ab tape 3 days a week now averages over an hour each day. I do strength training on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for 30 minutes to an hour on those days-and walk a mile on those days as well afterwards.

On my cardio days (the other 4 days of the week) I do either longer powerwalks of either 2-4 miles, or 1-2 hour dance rehearsals when I have them scheduled.

About once a month or so I attend a dance workshop (for intense technique training) that are usually 3-6 hours long.

The thing is to keep pushing yourself. I by no means am saying everyone should be a bodybuilder or professional dancer-but change up your exercise and make it more intense so your body will progress.

If you do the Walk Away The Pounds 1 mile tape each day-alternate it now every other day with the 2 mile one. If you do a weighted workout tape using 2 pound hand weights and you no longer "feel it" like you once did-go to 3 pound weights instead, and add ankle weights to the leg exercises. (I recommend the adjustable ankle weights if you do this-mine go from 1/2 pound to 5 pounds each leg, so you can keep progressing with them.)
If you do a 20 minute Pilates tape, then buy one that is 30 minutes long and switch to it instead.

When your fitness level improves, you want to keep pushing it so it will improve more. If you keep doing the same old thing, your body will not progress any further. Push it to the next level.

Small dietary changes make a big difference as well. Cutting out more junk in your diet and upping your exercise by even 5-10 minutes a day can make a big difference in a month's time.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote