Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-31-2005, 11:05 AM   #1  
Gia
Canadian Momma

Question Did I just eat that?

Does anyone else have to be doing something else while they eat? I rarely eat at the table - and when I do I am reading at the same time. I eat my lunch in front of the computer while I read the news and frequently eat dinner while watching TV.

Sometimes I surprise myself that dinner is done. I didn't taste it or really even know I was eating and poof it is over. Then I feel kind of cheated and like I need to eat something else (and pay attention) to compensate.

I tried to have a rule that I only ate while not doing anything else and I just couldn't do it. It felt weird.

Any suggestions?

Gia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:22 AM   #2  

I know that a lot of people contend that doing anthing else while you are eating is a really bad idea. I disagree only because I don't think it is always realistic. And, while this isn't a habit of mine, I enjoy eating and reading, sufing the web, etc. sometimes.

I have found that what works for me is to stop doing what I'm doing everytime I take a bite and don't go back to it until I've swallowed and had a drink. This way, I can still pay attention to my meal and enjoy it. It also slows my eating. If I am eating alone (which is usually when I am doing an additional activity) I find that I tend to rush through my food and end up in the same boat as if I'd read (or worked, etc.) while eating.

I think the point is to savor your food regardless of your surroundings and that can certainly be accomplished if you don't give up your other activites.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:34 AM   #3  

Mindful eating IS something that's important to learn for the very reasons you state. jawsmom's suggestions are good. I would also suggest that you DO eat a few meals without doing anything else until it no longer feels weird.

Sometimes you just have to stop and realize that you got to where you are by doing things a certain way, and to go in another direction it's important to learn OTHER ways. Yes, it pushes you out of your comfort zone, but you have to do that before you find a NEW comfort zone.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:44 PM   #4  
Gia
Canadian Momma

Good point on the pushing comfort zone! I think you hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the advice ladies. I will give savoring my food another go.
Gia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #5  
singletrack chick

I absolutely hate when i do that. it makes me mad. so i stopped doing it. i try my very hardest to eat at the table all the time now. i never miss a bite, and i spend more time with my husband. not paying attention to what you eat is a big reason that people have a weight problem. if you combine that with no portion control, you can quickly go through enough food to feed four people. i find that sometimes nothing feels better than just turning off the tv or computer and then sitting down, just me and my food and really enjoying it. but then again, i really love food.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #6  

I'm really bad about doing that with breakfast and lunch. I feel less bad about playing so much on the internet or watching trashy tv if I can combine it with something productive. I've found journalling helps me register what I'm eating though. If I'm distracted during the actual meal, what I've eaten becomes more real (if I managed to miss that bit) if I write it down afterwards. That could just be me though .
NoSenseOfAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

For me, I had to get into the habit of eating at the table for every meal, I don't do it for snacks though. I think it's true that to prepare, sit and eat the meal in a thoughtful way is good on lots of levels. I enjoy my food more, I enjoy eating more, I feel less agitated and more satisfied. I think it did take me some time to get used to sitting at the table. Now, I hate to have the tv on when I'm eating a meal.

I think being more agitated, aggravated and less thoughtful of what I was eating made me eat more and left me feeling less satisfied, food wise and in general (spiritually).

You might try creating a nice environment around the table. Have candles -- I bought these colored glass candle holders from target. Have nice place mats. Buy special plates and glasses, they don't have to be expensive, just something you like. Once in a while splurge on flowers. You deserve it!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote