Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-26-2005, 10:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

Height: 5'7"

Default clothing size confusion

I was just reading a post from someone who weighs in the "high 150s" and wears an 8. I'm the same weight and wear between a 12-14. This is confusing to me (I've seen lots of similar posts on this website). I am very muscular, a former competive swimmer now swimming with a masters swim club. (meaning, I know there is a big difference between a fit & muscular 150, and a flabby 150). I'm in Canada, so is it that Canadian sizes are different? I know that some stores are very "generous" with their sizes - you can be a 13 at Cotton Ginny that would be two sizes bigger somewhere else. Basically, what this says to me is that clothing sizes are essentially meaningless... I thought I wanted to be a size 10, but it varies so much depending on where you shop that I guess I'll go more for a measurement goal!

cheerio,
Sue
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #2  

I hadn't seen the post- but I know what you're saying... I saw somewhere that said a woman was 190s and she was wearing a size 12... and I'm 178 now and wearing 13s.

I have a big lower half- bum, thighs, and small waist and I've had to get the next size up to cover my thighs but when I was 190s I was wearing 16s! I really don't know...
KandiceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:40 AM   #3  

I think that height has a lot to do with it as well. For instance, I am just a little over 5 feet. High 150's is still pretty heavy at my height and would put me in about a 10 in regular sizes and probably a 12 in a petite size (at 178 I can wear a 14 but it would be snug) but for someone who is 5'7 the same weight may equate a to size 8 (I'm using hypothetical numbers). And you are absolutely correct that a muscular build makes quite a bit of difference too.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:50 AM   #4  

jawsmom- that makes sense... I'm 5'10 so my 178 is spread out more than others shorter that weigh 178...

different question, but sort of roll-off, has anyone said you looked like you were taller? (with the weight loss?) I guess because the weight makes you look just round? and then when you lose weight- you look taller? I've gotten this comment a couple times from different people.
KandiceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:21 AM   #5  

suechef.....
There's a girl where I work that weighs 15 pounds more than me but wears a size 8 as where I wear a 14. But she's about 5'8 and I'm 5'2. It all has to do with height and each individuals body structure. For instance, I'd LIKE to be a size 3 when this is all over but I'll never be because I have a medium to large frame. I've recently decided to do the same thing as you... I'm gonna go for measurements. For a long time my plan was to get down to 120 but now I've decided that I'll just wait and see where I look and feel best and THAT will be my goal

KandiceA.....
No one has told me I look taller but I've noticed it myself. I'm sure it's an illusion like as you said, when you're heavier you look rounder and therefore shorter BUT... I've read in a few different places womens stories about losing a large amount of weight and how after they were an inch or so taller and their doctor told them that the fat compacts your spine and can make you shorter. So maybe

Last edited by chaoticfish; 01-26-2005 at 11:27 AM.
chaoticfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:35 AM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

I'm 5'4", currently 148 lbs, and wear a size 4/6, depending on the designer/manufacturer.

In Lucky Brand Jeans, I can squeeze into a four, but I wear a six because it's more comfortable.

Earl Jeans I wear a 24.

DKNY I can easily get into a size 4 jean, and wear their tops in a small.

Old Navy varies, I wear small in their sportswear, but some of their stuff seems to be sized for juniors, so I would have to go up to a medium/large in some of their tops (I'm a 34/36 C on top).

Lands End - I SWIM in their stuff -Small

If you view my profile page, there's a photo of me which was taken last month.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #7  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Hi there I was just crusing the forums and noticed this one. If you have ever watch "what not to wear" she always says that it is not the size but the fit. I find stores vary is size. I think we get hung up too much on the size "thing". Which I myself and guilty of.

MrsJim- I just looked at your profile, WOW, you look wonderful. Congrats on your weightloss.
little chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

For the record, I'm 5'7", 157 pounds, wearing a 12 on occasion, but still mostly a 13/14. So I guess the stores I shop at are just sized bigger than a lot of them. I wish they would be consistent! (mens pants make more sense - when my husband buys a 34 he knows exactly what that means).
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:26 PM   #9  

I have gotten the "you look taller" comments as well. I am sure it does have something to do with the change of my shape but, more than that, it is probably how I carry myself these days. I know for sure that my posture improves - given that I probably have added and inch or two.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

There are a lot of factors that play into your size:

~clothing brand-some run small, some run big...

~height-someone who weighs 140 and is 5'1" is going to be a bigger size than someone who is 140 and is 5'8".

~body type-an apple shaped body type may wear a pretty small size in jeans like a size 4 and have small butt and legs-but may wear a large in tops because they have broader shoulders and bigger chest.
The same is for pears (who would wear smaller tops and have larger buns/legs) and an hourglass shape-who is going to be more even sized on top and bottom.

~fitness level-take two women who are the same height, body shape, and weight-and one is a lot more fit than the other-they will most likely be a smaller size due to muscle and less body fat.

~body frame: whether you are small boned...or large boned with bigger hands, wrist, broader shoulders and hips-that can make a difference as well.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:36 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

I want to be just like Karen/Mrs.Jim a size 4! ... I'm 5'3 between 146&150 and am now wearing a loose size 8 ... I only lost 12-16# to go from a size 14 to an 8! I really don't care anymore what the # on the scale is, although I do weigh myself just cause I like to see the #s go down ... but I do love to see the clothing size go down...

Girls please also check out the pic in my siggie Fat vs. Muscle ... It tells the whole story, of small sized women weighing more...

I've always had the "you look taller" comment even at my highest weight... A WW monitor HAD to measure me because she didn't believe I was 5'3" ... But I was!

Karen you look GORGEOUS in your profile, VERY inspiring!

Last edited by Ilene; 01-26-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:44 PM   #12  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandiceA
I hadn't seen the post- but I know what you're saying... I saw somewhere that said a woman was 190s and she was wearing a size 12... and I'm 178 now and wearing 13s.

I have a big lower half- bum, thighs, and small waist and I've had to get the next size up to cover my thighs but when I was 190s I was wearing 16s! I really don't know...

when I was 190 I was wearing an 18....I have big hips, but I love em!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #13  

Another factor to remember is that yes the sizes are slightly different in Canada, but also there are people who post here from all around the world and clothing sizes differ greatly! For example, in NZ where I am from 10 is pretty small, say a size 6-8 US and australian sizes are different again, then you have UK and don't even talk to me about trying to work out sizes in Europe. A size 44 in Spain fits completely different to one in france (if you can find it!) and again to holland. Most countries end up with sizings that reflect the dominant body shape in their society. But they are all different. Hence my goal is to have a NZ size 10 pair of pants (currently 14-12) yet if I were in the states, I would already be there! lol.. so I agree, it's best to buy by fit and also measure your loss in inches!
HAL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:03 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Yes, sizes vary a huge amount from country to country. I'm generally size 8 in australian sizes and on average that means a 61cm/24" waist and 88cm/34.5" hips (keep in mind thats pretty average...as everyone knows sizes may vary by as much as 5cms between different stores and brands.) I have fitted into size 6 and 7 jeans before though as well, so...meh...go by fit, not size. For the record i'm 5'6 and my maintaince weight varies from 117 to 120 pounds.

I used to get quite hung up on sizes, but once I realised how much they can vary...and got tired of always beating myself up if I didnt fit the "right size", I went to just looking for a good fit. I thought I always wanted to be a size 10 too lol, ended up a size smaller, but hey, whose complaining?

Livi
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote