Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Question Am I not eating enough?

I just started my weight loss/get healthy program 4 days ago. I've cut all soda from my diet and have been drinking nothing but water, except for my morning coffee. For breakfast, I've been eating a Nutrigrain bar (apple) and a peice of fruit. For lunch, I eat a can of tunafish mixed with onions, celery, and carrots with some crackers. I also eat some raw vegetables with fat free dressing for dipping. Then I eat another peice of fruit for an afternoon snack. My fiance always cooks dinner and that usually consists of chicken or red meat or fish, along with vegetables and a starch. Sometimes I have a low fat/low calorie snack later on. I've been told by SOME people that they are concerned that I'm not eating enough. What do you all think?
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #2  

It really depends on your personal stats. What you are eating may be just fine, or it may not be enough. I've posted this link a LOT lately LOL, but truck on over to http://www.jimkaras.com/loss_math01.cfm and run your stats through the calculator. This will give you an ESTIMATE of what your caloric needs are, and how much you need to eat to lose sensibly. If you are not sure how many calories you are eating, you can use www.fitday.com to track your intake, at least for a while, and make sure you are meeting your goals.

In other terms, I would only say this about your meals: You aren't getting ANY milk/dairy, and that's not good in general. Women have to be diligent about getting enough calcium from food sources to avoid serious bone loss issues in the future. If you don't like dairy, look at calcium-fortified soy and/or dark leafy-green vegetables. In addition to the calcium issue, adding some dairy to your breakfast will give you some much-needed protein to help you get through your morning. You might also think about the Nutrigrain bar -- they're not awful, but they have a lot of sugar in return for the overall nutritional value. A non-sugary, high-fiber cereal would be a much better choice, even if you ate it out of hand and drank the milk separately.

Last edited by funniegrrl; 01-12-2005 at 05:13 PM.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #3  
Empress/Queen

Yep, it does depend on your personal stats (thanks, funniegirl, for the link. I want to check it out also). But just on the surface, it seems in my not humble opinion that you have a healthy diet if that's a typical day ... except as said above, you may want to consider adding dairy or calcium fortified soy milk or yogurt ... ff cottage cheese is good mixed with tuna ... you can whir the cheese up in a blender and add spices for a really great tuna salad ... takes the place of mayo but adds calcium and protein.

Lots of times people tell us that we aren't eating enough when we are ... people often say that to me and I'm a binge eater who's been known to exceed 3000 cals in a day when the Binge Demon is on me ... but there are people who are trying to lose weight and starving themselves and they do refuse to believe how much harm they're doing to their bodies. Dunno. It seems if you are asking the question, you are probably doing just fine! Best of luck to you.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:37 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9

Hi! Those links were EXTREMELY helpful! Thank you so very much!!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:59 PM   #5  
stbakd

try adding more fiber. glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote