CarbsCounting Exhausted!

• I am approximately 60 lbs overwieght. Everything I read has to do with Carbs. I happen to LOVE carbs, grew up on them and cannot seem to live without them. What is a phat-girl to do? Yes, I have cut down a good bit, I do exercise, but the weight will not budge. Any alternatives? Suggestions for a hardcore carblover?
  • You're describing me! I am 50 lbs overweight (38 lbs now) and I LOVE carbs. the bad kinds too. We'd have pasta at least 2ce a week- some kind of it, if it's just in the hamburger helper or spag, or mac n cheese. and Potatoes- mmmm- There is no way I could eat just 1/2 a cup or a cup- whatever the serving amount is. Esp my stepmom's potatoes- she puts parsely and garlic salt in them.... now it's a baked sweet potato for me!

I had exercised for 3 months before starting to diet and actually gained 1 lb from it! I know some of it was muscle because my Body fat % went down but not as much as I was hoping for for exercising 5x a week.

I went ahead and bit the bullet and haven't looked back since. (cutting out carbs) I'm on phase 2 now and up to 40-60 total, not net, carbs a day and saw an 11.5 lb lost in 3 weeks. the 4th week I only lost 1/2 a lb so 12 lbs in 4 weeks.

Honestly the cravings disappear. and I don't really care if I eat that stuff anymore- and actually the mirror and my new pant size also keep me going. I don't want to go back to my HW ever. Of course there are the occaisional times when I want pasta- they don't disappear completely- but very few and far between now. We have low-carb pasta (31 total carbs per serving) about once every 2 weeks in the form of lasagna or hamburg and noodles.

read the boards- if you're going to start dieting make sure it's something you can live with for the rest of your life! dieting is not just a reach your goal weight and then you can go back to eating serving after serving of potatoes.

Welcome to 3FC!
  • Other Obstacles
    Thanks so much Kandice for the inspirational reponse re dread-carbs. So, I went right out and bought a NO-Carb lunch, something I have done in the past with ease. I too would love to be in ONE-derland, and it is ridiculous for a person with my bone structure to by anywhere above 150 lbs. But, I will get there. I found the ANA (Atkins) very motivational and I beleive I can live with it for life. There is another obstacle...my fiance. He is slim, athletic, healthy and very supportive. Except when it comes to carbs. The man gives me a rather sad, carb-deprived look if I try to get the main meal in with out carbs. Plus, he brings me goodies like ice cream, and fixes my favorite toast and butter whenever I get up from a nap. He means so well, but being from the Caribbean, we kind of expect a large serving of rice, rice, more rice, or cornmeal, potatoes, etc, So, while I want to take the plunge like you did, what must I do about the man I love who loves carbs?

Thanks for your responses and for your welcome! Have a super day.
    PS...Like you, I am getting married soon (in April) and want to be at least 140.
  • I love my carbs and will never give them up I believe in portion control for ALL foods, and it balances itself out in the end. At least that works for me. You may want to see your doctor and find out if you have a medical condition that affects your weight and that carb reduction would be the best solution (such as insulin resistance). Otherwise, any diet plan should work just as well, without making you give up foods you enjoy. If you enjoy your diet, you are more likely to stick with it, and that is what makes a diet better for you.

Cutting back portion sizes doesn't have to be difficult, though it might take getting used to at first.

The good thing about rice is that you don't have to cook a whole bag at once, you can cook just 2 servings and not be tempted with extra portions. If you do cook a lot at once, immediately freeze it in individual size baggies, then take out just what you need for a meal. Work on the rice/veggie ratio of your meals, and change the focus so the rice accompanies the dish, instead of dominating it.

Buy new dishes Don't buy a set, just buy the open stock dishes so you can get luncheon size plates and not big dinner plates that beg for more food. Small, pretty ice cream bowls that hold just a scoop or two can make dessert a little nicer without over-indulging. You'll enjoy the EXPERIENCE of dessert, instead of just the dessert itself. You can set a very nice, romantic dinner for the two of you, and you'll spend less time eating, and more time burning off those calories
  • My Fiance eats my main meals that I cook- like yesterday we had meatloaf- with bread- but it was only 17 carbs per serving and then he fixed himself some mashed potatoes to go with it. That's how we eat most of the time. I'll cook kielbasa, green peppers, brocolli, and onions together and he'll cook rice to go with his. It's not cooking 2 separate meals, it's just the extra side dishes- that he can cook himself if he wants them that bad. Cook Chicken breasts and then when they're done, put Low carb spag sauce on it and a piece of cheese and throw it back in the oven until the cheese melts. Chris will cook some fettucini to go with his. (see what I mean about us eating tons of pasta and carbs!?) If it's going to bother you- make sure you/ or he cooks just enough for him so there's no tempting leftovers. The first couple weeks (Phase 1- less than 20 carbs a day) I didn't buy any cookies or icecream or anything for the house because I knew I would get into it. the 3rd week I bought icecream and I bought myself some sugar free popsicals (3 carbs) and sugar free jello- suggestion, add Diet Sprite Zero to the jello instead of water- it gives it a little zing oh and yeah, the diet sprite zero, 0 sugar, 0 carbs, 0 caffeine.

and make sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. when you don't get enough water it slows down your metabolism and makes you tired. a 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short term memory trouble with basic math problems and difficulty focusing. Water does alot for us... off my soap box now....

I wish you tons of success- feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!
  • If you gotta have carbs, at least eat the right kinds of carbs. Those found in whole grains (ie: whole wheat pasta and breads) and in fruit and milk/yogurt.
  • oh yeah- dannon carb control yogurt- get the strawberry and cream I didn't much care for the peaches and cream. 3 carbs and that's fine for me for breakfast since I never ate breakfast before (I know, I know...)

fruit has a lot of carbs- just warning you- it's sugar, even though it's natural. an apple has 18 carbs!

try to stay away from the atkins processed foods too- if you look at the total carbs, they're still pretty high and I think the bars all have an aftertaste like cardboard.
  • Yes, fruit does have a lot of carbs, but there's also the difference between processed and natural that makes a huge difference in weight loss. Also between carbs and "complex carbs". Some carbs are good for you.

When I first decided that I was going to get thin finally and stay that way, I tried cutting out ALL saturated fats. I later discovered that this wasn't the way to go. I wouldn't even eat an egg because of sat. fats. But eggs have GOOD fats. So does dairy and nuts. I just had to learn to eat them in moderation. And I'm still losing weight, even though I have 2 eggs every morning, and all that sat. fat.
  • oh I know there are good carbs but the program I'm on track Carbs- regardless of if they're natural or good for you or not. total carbs. That's all I was saying. If she wanted to do the same diet I am, then that's what she would do too, I was just giving her information. I'm not watching fat or calories at all and have eggs alot- and I've lost 12 lbs (in 4 weeks) and I weigh today but I weighed last night so I wouldn't be shocked and I lost 5 more lbs this week. Obviously something I'm doing is working for my body.

I feel like I have to defend myself and my diet to you, when it really should be that person's own goals, and diet that work best for them, so here:
    I eat in moderation too- even white pasta about every other week. I make my sandwiches with the low carb wheat wraps- 12 carbs. I don't feel like I'm denying myself anything and this is something I'm going to stick with. If I wanted an apple for a snack, I would just have to plan it in- not to eat 2 carb well oreo cookies or whatever I would have for a snack. Sometimes I know I want to snack- cheese nips or popcorn or whatever- during the day so I plan a supper with 5 or less carbs for me and I'm satisfied. I stay on the low side of my 40-60 carbs a day. And it's working for me.
  • Absolutely not. There's no need for anyone to defend what's working for them. My advice is to Raindancer, who admitted having a problem giving up carbs. So she might want to try a different approach if giving up carbs is hard to do for her. And just general advice to anyone to keep in mind that sometimes cutting out some things might not be good in the long run. But as long as a particular diet works for someone and they're doctor has no problems with it, I say go for it.
  • Thanks for the support ladies...it is part of the reason that for 2 days I have been successful. Your comments are all valid. Quick Update on Dancing in the Less Carb Drenched Rain here: Met two fabulous buddies at this site, started the South Beach yesterday, ATE NO RICE with dinner/NO CARBS ALL DAY except for a mistake w/yogurt, even though my other half had rice with supper. And stuck to it right up until this writing. Bravo and Kudos to all of you for helping me. I do not crave anything. Quit ice-cream sandwiches, hard carbs, and eat reasonable portions. Stopped obssessing, too. Reality check says I am not going to lose as quickly as I did 10 years ago, it is s l o w , but it is worth the life-long healthy changes I am willing to make. I still need your support, ladies. This is a wonderful site, told my fiance and girlfriends about it. Wishing you all perseverance and ultimately, SUCCESS!
  • Rain, you should try the Hood Carb Countdown yogurts. They are actually very good, PLUS they are reduced sugar AND fat as well. There's like almost nothing in them. LOL Just 80 cals, 4 carbs, and they've doubled the protein to 12.
  • Rain- you can have some carbs- you don't have to quit cold turkey. Like heaven said- some carbs are good for you.

Most of the diets you'll see start you on phase 1- eating no more than 20 carbs a day. see how that works out.

hadn't tried the hood yogurt- but dannon is good too.
  • Quote: started the South Beach yesterday!
    Yay! Congratulations on finding a diet that will work with your lifestyle The good news is that if you DO get a craving for ice cream, you can have the "no sugar added" Fudgesicles, which are suprisingly good! South Beach is great, you'll get to add your carbs back in soon, and the plan is pretty easy to stick to. We're glad you found a few diet buddies here, too!

Good luck!!