Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-11-2004, 11:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/?/130

Height: 5'2

Default Do all guys go for skinny women?

In my school, everyone that has a boyfriend is stick thin. All of the people that ACCUALLY eat, the guys dont pay any attention to. I was just wondering if this is just in my school or in other places too.
hcred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:31 PM   #2  

I wonder that too right now, and feel that way a lot. Unfortunatly, at the moment I really really like this amazing guy who is stick thin. He lives about 3 hours away from me, (we met online), but I met him irl recently, and trust me, he is AMAZING. We get along so well, and we both really enjoy spending time together.

I just worry a lot that he might not like me in the same way because he has a lot of girls that are friends that are pretty and thin. =/

I'm happy in my own skin, and im working on losing weight to be healthy and active.

Any other thoughts from people on this issue? ^^;;
Alexisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:51 PM   #3  
and Cody too!

S/C/G: 265/245/165

Height: 5'6"

My husband isn't in too the whole "stick thin" thing... he doesn't like to see ribs and bony knees and stuff. He said he likes a little bit of cushion. Of course I have a lot of cushion right now!

We got together right after high school and I was about 160... maybe a little more and he liked where I was then. He is okay with me now, but he would like me to lose weight just so I can be happier and so I will want to go jet skiing with him. So it isn't all guys.
JennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 04:00 PM   #4  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up

In high school, a lot of guys think they HAVE to go after the skinny girls or get made fun of. By the time they get in college, they start thinking for themselves more.

I am fortunate that my DH is the kind that likes women with a little meat on their bones, and just about all the girls he ever dated were a little bit chubby. Due to a lot of reasons, I went a little overboard on the weight thing, lol, and am now taking the pounds back off, lol.

So don't give up - any guy who is worth having will want you for who you are, not what you weigh.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:45 PM   #5  
Guy

No, I don't know any guys who actually like stick insect women.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:29 PM   #6  

Oh, dear. I know how hard high school can be, especially if you're not one of the "beautiful" people. I know I wasn't. The funny thing is I was about 140 my jr. and sr. years, and I thought I was too fat. You know how much I want to be that weight now?! lol~ I did have one boyfriend briefly my senior year. He was just as angst-ridden as I was. My point is, I think part of the reason I didn't date a lot in high school wasn't my weight, it was how I thought other people perceived my weight. I had low self-esteem and projected that by having an attitude and a sarcastic and self-depricating sense of humor. If I had truly stopped caring what others thought or worrying about how I should be instead of appreciating how I was, I think I would have attracted more people.

Also, as someone mentioned before, I think boys (ahem, I mean young men) are so self-concious themselves, and are more into popularity and doing what they think their group wants them to do, they sometimes ignore what they truly want. This is no reflection on you, your body, or who you are as a person. We all have room for improvement and with that said, you're as perfect as you can be, just as you are.

My boyfriend now is supportive of my efforts to lose weight, but would love me just the same if I were just a head in a cardboard box!
goofgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:15 PM   #7  

I'm just curious, what did most of you weigh when you got a long term boyfriend or engaged?

ie. Did you weigh a lot before, or was it gaineid afterwards ^^;

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2004, 04:39 PM   #8  
Head Princess

Personally, I think it has a whole lot more to do with personality and how you carry yourself than anything. I was between 185 and 200 from the time I met my husband up through our first 2 years of marriage. Not only did it not have a bearing on our relationship (except for my own personal issues with it), it has also never had a bearing on the number of guy friends I have - and there are a LOT!

Yes, I get treated differently by strangers now, but the people who know me don't like me more or less because of how much I weigh.
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:02 PM   #9  
Tons of fun!!!!

i hang out with all guys......seriously i have one friend that is female, I often tease them about liking boney girls, but most of them say they prefer girls with a little meat on their bones of course their perception of a "thick" girl may be different form a females perception........ And i did notice that in high school guys cared more about being with skinnier girls because it made them look cool to their friends, most grow out of that stage and start looking for a girl that has a good personality, that makes them laugh and that they actually like and not just to look at....... the question about serious boyfriends or husbands....... I was heavy when i met and fell in love with my guy and i am still that way, but getting smaller everyday.... I knew I didnt have to lose weight for him because he loves me (all of me!) but i am doing it to be healthy and to be happier in my skin.
hippiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:03 PM   #10  

Alexisa=When I got engaged and married I weighed about 110-114. My husband and I married in our teens, he was 17 and I was 18. We have been married for 27 years and the more we are together the closer we become. I have gone from 114 on my wedding day to my highest weight of 215.5, and he loved me no matter what my size, like wise when we got married he weighed, if memory serves me correctly, about 128 and now weighs 242, and I still love him. There is more to us than body size and a number on a scale. A lot of the boys in high school are very shallow and most of those relationships don't last anyway. If you want to get a kick out of something=in the future go to your high school reunion=this is the best! Most of the skinny girls will no longer be skinny, some will have had a at least a couple of marriages, the cool guys have bellies and are going bald-I am serious! And you will look at some of these people and say, "What was it about them that I admired?" Anyway GOd has someone out there for you, someone who will value you for who you are and not what you weigh. God BLess You.
praytherosary822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:17 PM   #11  
my dad made me1 from wood

Well when i met my husband i was going through dialysis and was swollen and just yucky i weighed around 150 so I was bout the same...
scorchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:52 PM   #12  
Still Climbing

I hope not sweetie!! otherwise I'm screwed!
Nah, I don't think all guys are like that, I know alot of guys who have bigger beautiful women as their partners, and I think they are just the cutest couples!
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:09 PM   #13  
resident lactivist

Jana's right, it's just an image thing. It didn't hold true in my high school at all, plenty of big girls were dating, but I also went to a high school that was mostly black & Mexican, and those two cultures don't embrace the white idea of beauty! (By & large, anyway.) I actually only had one boyfriend in high school, but had it on the authority of my (male) best friend that I intimidated the **** out of the guys in high school 'cause I was too smart and seen as sort of a ball-buster.

I'm not sure how much I weighed when I met my husband, but I'm pretty sure I weighed more then than I do now, since then I was a size 18/20 & now I'm about a size 16. He's another who always dated the chubbier girls. He was attracted to me, he says, by my way of carrying myself--my confidence, in other words. My attitude. You know, the exact same thing that scared off the high school boys!

My husband works 100% with other men, and I have seen the other boat wives at picnics & such. I cannot tell you whether it's postwedding weight or not, but there's not one single stick thin woman there. Of course, there's no one incredibly obese, either. It's sort of a happy medium, with most women being probably like myself, about 20 or 30 pounds overweight.

I'll tell you another thing. The men I know who concentrate on looks when choosing their women...They're not a happy bunch. There are still some guys off dh's boat who are really young and looking for supermodels to date, and they're limiting their pool too much, so they're apparently not finding women enough like them for them to be happy.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:06 PM   #14  

Just to update you guys a little *big grin on her face*

I finnally got it out of him, it took a little soul revealing on my part but we have both admitted that we really really like each other and that the only thing standing in our way is the distance.

So we decided just to see how things go from here. =D

I'm sooo happy. ^^

And in case anyone is curious, he is 19 and i'm almost 21... And we met for the first time IRL a week ago. ^_^

~Alex
Old 07-15-2004, 09:13 AM   #15  
Running Babe

Alex: yah!!!

I think for me it's a confidence thing... I had guys hit on me when I was large and dismissed it thinking it was a joke... I realize now I wasn't as ugly as I thought I was... I have great eyes and a great smile... neither change with my weight... I have had plenty of girl friends who have started dating guys when they were headed into plus sized territory. It's all about attitude.

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote