Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-09-2004, 02:51 PM   #1  
Aussie Chick

Unhappy I need a little motivation *UPDATED*

When i found this site last year around this time i was so motivated and lost 24lbs, i was halfway to my goal, and then i met a new guy and got comfortable stoped eating well ( u know how it goes) and now im nearly back to where i began and it's such crap!! I know it is all my fault and i feel like such a fool. I am 20 and i have had major weight losses and gains 3 times since i was 15. My weight fluctuates up and down between 20lbs. ARHHHH!!!
I want to be a size 10Au( size 6 in the usa) by my 21st which is in Dec and i know if i put my mind to it i can loose around 40lbs it's just iv been saying "ill start tomorrow" or "I'll just eat huge sanwhich with lots'a cream cheese and then have some cheesecake and then start the next day"
You would think seeing skinny girls would motivate me but it's just not, and my b/f is no help he wants me to stay this size ( i think so i dont get male attention) yet he has just started Body for Life and ARHHHHH i want support dammit!

I know calorie counting works for me. Im 160lbs and had 1600cals a day and gradually went down (i did 160x10=1600cals, then at 155x10=1550cals etc, u get the idea). I was losing half a kilo a week (1.1lbs) but this time i want to loose it quicker!!! I need to lose 1kg a week (2.2lbs) at the very least! Is it possible to lose 2.2lbs a week or more? How many calories will i need? I think you times it by 8 to lose faster dont you? So i would need 1280 cals to start out with?

Damn i am feeling like crap and i am hungry too and iv eaten enough already . You'd think id be eating so much junk food to keep putting on weight but you will never see me eating a pack of chips, or eating chocolate, i very rarely eat "junk" foods. I eat fair to much healthy foods, i will have generous amounts of cream cheese, i will have a few cheese slices (well not that cheeses are healthy but they are like my added things to food which help me get fat!), i love Italian food and i make a whicked carbonara. Last time i did my "lifestyle change" *cough*Diet*Cough* i cut out all cheese,cream cheese,bacon and ham from my food intake. I allowed myself anything else, i had moderate complex carbs, Higher Protein, Average amount of mono-unsaturated fats, geez i am talking about what needs to be done yet i am being so lazy and not doing it!!! I dont know i just need some support, hense the reason why i posted in the support thread. My main reasons for losing weight are to look better, for myself and also others, to be able to wear clothes from skinny stores and not have squeeze into a size 10/12, not feel like my chest is dragging me down, my breasts feel too heavy, i want to not have to wear tops to cover my stomache etc.

Last edited by flutter; 08-19-2004 at 12:07 PM.
flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:56 PM   #2  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Sounds like you know what worked for you before...

One thing to keep in mind, every time you lose weight and you tone up, then you regain and you're not working out you gain back ALL fat.
You must continue to build that muscle mass. Or every time you yo yo you end up weaker muscle wise.
Also when we regain we tend to add even more than we lost in the first place.
Make a commitement to yourself that your plan is a "lifetime" plan.

Get rid of all junk and fill your fridge and cupboards with things that are good for you to eat.
Allow yourself one or 2 "free" meals so you don't feel deprived.
The healthiest way to lose is between 1-2 lbs a week, loads of studies show that people who lose at this rate have the best chance for long term success.

Over here there are quite a few fat and low fat items like cream cheese and mayo.
On your free meals don't go too crazy but save your all time favorite foods for these meals.

I have pizza and beer or wine coolers on Saturday night.
And I have a good big brunch sometimes on Sunday.

I know if I can do that on the weekend it makes it easier to stay on track the rest of the week.
Hope some of this helps,
You did it once...now show us what you're made of and do it again,
Diane
ralphmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:34 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Yes, you can lose 2.2 pounds a week, but you don't want to do that for long. More than 1 percent of your weight per week isn't a good idea as you will probably be losing lean muscle instead of fat. 1.5 pounds is right on target for you.

I understand what you mean about getting started. Maybe you need to find a group, whether here or local, to report in with on a regular basis while you lose weight. You might be more inclined to start if you know people are watching for you to report in about it.

Good luck!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:34 PM   #4  
Aussie Chick

I think your right Jennifer, if i am watched by someone i wouldn't want to let them down as well as myself. I think it would be easier for me to join a weekley weigh in thread on these forums rather then joining a group which i probably wouldn't turn up 2 and im on the internet a bit so ill see what topics are around and do that
Old 06-23-2004, 09:07 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

So how have you done for the last week, Flutter?
Old 06-25-2004, 03:27 AM   #6  
kami=paper/god twi=me

Flutter, you did it once, do it again! If you want to lose that much a week, you need a calorie deficit of something like 7500 calories a week, since 3500 is one pound. At your body weight, that'd be hard to do! If you reduce your calories TOO much, your body starts to shut down. A really good source of information on weight loss, I've found (ironically enough) is body building websites, 'cause they want to lose fat and not muscle, which is what we all, want, right? Anyway, good luck to you!
Kamitwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 04:17 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey, Flutter, you can get started again. But it sounds like you need some kind of set program so that you don't have to be left with your own "decisions." Have you tried following a daily menu of meals? That's working well for me because if left just to count calories, I tend to choose the "wrong" calories. And then it's later in the day and I'm out of calories and hungry. Not so good.

If you like cream cheese and the like, maybe something like the South Beach plan would work for you. I don't know--just going by what I've heard. At any rate, good luck!
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:29 PM   #8  
Aussie Chick

Hi everyone.

Thankyou for your replies.

Iv had alot of time to think and mentally prepare myself for starting all over again. It was very hard to stay positive because this will now be the 3rd time i have lost weight again. I have figured out my problem is not actually losing weight, it is maintaining my weight. I have checked out a few sites and figured out to maintain a weight of 125lbs i would require 1796cals and to maintain a weight of 121lbs i would require 1721cals. It doesnt seem like much does it. The lightest i have got down to is 125lbs which was only a few years ago so that's what ill be aiming for again. I am going to start on August 1st and hopefully i will get down to that weight again before my 21st birthday which is in Dec.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:27 PM   #9  
Aussie Chick

UPDATE: I joined a ladies only gym, i got the full package which includes full gym access, all the classes, and 45 personal training sessions. This gym is like a 5 star gym, very luxerious, the ladies there know me through my familys golf buisness so they were real friendly with me and most of them play golf at our buisness. I love using rowing machines, and i got 2 tredmils and exercise bikes at home so ill just be using the rowing machine, weight machines and the exercise classes, like swiss ball, bodt combact etc. Im so glad i joined, my orientation day is on friday.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Excellent move! Good for you! You'll feel lots better just in general, and the new muscle will help you burn fat.

Leave the past behind. Start from now. Cheers!
Old 08-19-2004, 12:06 PM   #11  
Aussie Chick

Ok i thought i would add some updates on what i have been doing.

Iv been a member of the gym for about 2 weeks now.

I am allowed 1 30minute personal training session a week
I am given a 15 minute "nutritionist" apointment a week

When i first started it was all a little bit disorganised, but it is better now.

I told my personal trainer i want to focus on Free Weights and Swiss ball and floor exercises with her. So she does this with me. She is very nice, but she is younger then me, and i am 20. She is a little ditzy, still professional though, but not very experianced, i have to ask alot about correct techniques, anyway shes still good, no complaints there.

This "weight loss program" which is in my package, is really well, stupid.
Unbeknown to my "nutritionist" i know so much about what foods to eat, i have done so much research, sure i havent been following what i know in the past year,, but i still know my stuff, it's just a matter of be getting off my bum and eating what i should every day.

This "weight loss plan" incorporates what they call....Slim Shakes. I personally do not believe in meal replacements, have never, will never do them. I made is specifically clear when i joined that i was not interested in them and they told me it was not compolsary. My first "Slimplicity" appointment was last week. I TOLD i must $$buy these shakes and incorporate them into this pre done meal plan. I said no thankyou, but no that wasn't exceptable you see. I had a further 15 minutes preached to me about why i have to do this so i have rapid weight loss. Again i said, no thankyou, and that i wasn't interested in rapid weight loss, i was interested in slow steady weight loss. So she said ok no worries and gave me a meal plan that i must abide by religiously every day. This meal plan is such rubbish, ill get to that later. So then i got weighed and had my body fat % done.

Today i had my 2nd "slimplicity" appointment. This time a different lady. She weighed me and took my body fat %. She was so alarmed because i "put on 400g". Oh my Gosh such a tragedy. I said to her, " my last appointment was an early morning appointment, i had not drunk or eaten anything, and today is late afternoon, i have drunk alot of water and eaten lunch so that would be why i have "put on" 400g". She was like, no no, you havent been following the plan have you? ( I always weigh a kilo more at the end of the day, like most people). So then she asked what i ate for lunch today. I said to her, i had pasta with basil pesto and a little parmsean cheese. WHOOAAHHHH!!! She had a mental at me lol. She said, you CANT eat pesto, filled with oil, so bad for you, thats why you put on 400g. LOL. I told her, "well it was made with extra virgin olive oil which is good for you, it is mono unsaturated fat which is less likely to store as body fat, and i only had two teaspoons worth". Nup she said all oil is bad. Funny that, when i lost 24lbs 2 years ago, over a 6 month period, i have never cooked in oil, but when i lost my 24lbs i was actually incorporating olive oil into my cooking. Well, i just let her dribble on.

This meal plan is between 1200-1400cals a day. Last time when i did it myself i started with 1600 cals and progressed down as my weight changed. When i did it myself i had what id call moderte to high protein, moderate carbs(about 100-150gday) and well fat between 30g to 80g monounsaturated or omega 3. This stupid meal plan is mainly saturated fat. Its very high carbs, about 250g day and low in protein. I am not going to follow it. I am going to do my own thing again. I mgiht actually start with 1400cals that is fine, but i am not eating that many carbs.

She keep stressing i need to have 3 pieces of fruit a day and 500mls of low fat milk a day. Ok i can agree about the fruit thing, but unfortunately due to have irritable bowl syndrome, i cant handle 3 pieces a day, only one or two, i do love fruit though. Milk is also one of my triggers, i only use it in coffee. I dont know why they are so padantic about drinking so much milk, but if it is because of the calcium, there are plenty of veggies and other foods high in calcium, like broccoli for example. Does this lady even know that you can have as much calcium as you want, but if you not getting enough magnesium into your body it wont absorb all of the calcium!

Crap! I dont know how to explain this kind of stuff to this lady, she wont hear it. Oh well, im still going to do my own thing.

Exercise wise, i am doing Weights (free weights, weigh machines for top middle and bottom half) Swiss ball, floor exercises, and cardio (tredmil, rower, ski machine,bike).

I do weights every 2nd day, for about 30min to 50 min. I do Cardio every 2nd day two for about 1hr.

Iv just started all this exercise a week ago really so i should start to see results soon enough.

Last edited by flutter; 08-19-2004 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:13 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Whew! I hope it helped to let off some steam about that.

Take what you need from what they offer, and don't worry about the rest. Try to think in terms of what you can say Yes to instead of all the things that make you want to say No.

I thought I knew a lot about how to lose weight, only over the years I've done what so many other people have done--lost it, gained it, lost it, gained it even more. So clearly I don't know as much as I thought I did. Of course, if knowledge alone was the problem, none of us would be overweight.

I am curious, though--how did you manage only two teaspoons of oil in pasta with pesto? That must have been pretty dry pasta . . .
Old 08-20-2004, 03:05 AM   #13  
Aussie Chick

When i have time ill make my own pesto, but iv been buying a jar of it made from olive oil. I just use two teaspoons worth, not rounded or completely flat either, just normal. Iv always only used this much though to about 125g of dry pasta, dunno how much that weighs cooked. I find it coats it really well. I just use it occasionaly as a substitute to bolognaise sauce when i dont have those ingredients in the house.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:51 PM   #14  
WW Moderator

Oh my gosh, Flutter - I'm glad you aren't listening to your nutritionist. If she doesn't understand morning weight versus evening weight, that's scary! Does she work for the gym? Do they know what kind of food she has you eating?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:55 AM   #15  
Gonna do it!

S/C/G: 186/166/140

Height: 5'8"

Ok, as a nursing student and having taken classes on nutrition, and physiology, and been a teaching assistant for human anatomy, this woman is obviously NOT a dietician of any sort! It sounds like what you have done in the past is a pretty healthy plan. You shouldn't cut carbs completely as it can cause damage in the long run. And, we need fat in our diet, so eat your pesto made with olive oil! Otherwise you can end up with gallstones... If their diet is heavy on saturated fats, and they don't want you using olive oil then you are better off following your own diet. You should only consume 30g of saturated fat per day MAXIMUM... depending on your body. I was eating way to much of it and I had high cholesterol (219) and I cut it down to about 20g a day during a nutrition project at school and I kept it up for about 6 months now. My cholesterol is now down to 177. That is all I cut fat-wise.

I have been using a daily check in thread in the buddy up section. We post how our days are going, what we have eaten, what we have avoided, exercise we have done. It isn't necessarily a strict weekly weigh in or anything, but a nice place to "fess up" what you have eaten and get support from the other ladies. Come join us if it will help you!

Good luck!
FatMommaCat is offline   Reply With Quote