Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-27-2004, 12:32 PM   #16  

I don't know a lot about how many calories a day but I definitely know that you must eat to lose. My doctor used to tell me I would not lose unless I starting eating more. I would only eat once a day fooling myself into thinking I would lose weight much faster. Well once I started eating an amazing thing happened. I started to actually lose weight. Don't give up you are probably at a plateau like the other ladies said. It happens to everyone.

Bethany
thinmom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:22 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Ok I talked to my doctor yesterday and I brought up the whole very low calorie and starvation mode conversation we've all been having I told her that I have a hard time eating 1200 calories a day. I can usually get to 1000 no problem but after that I'd be choking food down and thats no good. So she told me not to worry and that I will be fine at 1000 calories and still be able to maintain at say 1300 calories, which is great! I don't need to maintain at a higher rate because what I'm working at is Keeping this "Way of life" I'm not on a diet!! I'm getting rid of bad habits and learning how to live healthy

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:45 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Michelle, thanks so much for sharing what your doctor told you! I really appreciate that.

I was wondering tho, did she explain at all about "starvation mode" and what that be for someone with a low thyroid problem? just wondering if she explained that at all? was she kind of saying that 1000 calories a day would not be "starvation mode" for someone with a low thyroid?

thanks again,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:40 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Well she is aware of my thyroid problems, and she said that 1000 calories a day for me is good as long as I don't get too low. She did mention that us people with metabolic problems we definately need to keep the exercise going otherwise we'll be fighting a losing battle. We didn't have time to get in a totally indepth conversation because her office was packed but I hope that helps
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 10:28 AM   #20  

Thanks Michelle, it does help!
and it is a great reminder how important it is for us to exercise!
I have always said that it doesn't matter how well I'm eating if I'm not exercising, then I'm just spinning my wheels.
thanks for the info,
Cathy
Old 05-30-2004, 10:17 PM   #21  
Newlywed at 45!!!!

Base metabolism is the rate of energy your body produces(burns) while at rest, this differs in everyone.
However the more muscle in your body the higher your base metabolism.
After exercise your body continues to burn calories for quite awhile even at rest because your muscles are at their "peak".
Thin people burn more energy at rest than larger people because of the fat to muscle ratio.
As you lose weight your base will rise as your body fat lessens.
Great anology on the "fire and fuel".

As you lose your body has to regroup and figure out how its going to contend with these higher and hotter ratio's and then it will take off again.
When we move to a new area we all have to get our "boundries" back in order and learn the best ways to get around, then soon we're on our way again.
Good luck, and good health,
RM
ralphmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:29 AM   #22  

Thanks RM for the info.
That makes a lot of sense and I definitely needed the reminder!
thanks again,
Cathy